Polynesian Refurb

Figments Friend

@the.dreamfinder where is this picture from? It appears to be the anti GF from opposite world. :eek:

grand-floridarian.jpg
-
Perhaps this was taken while parasailing...
:)

Figments Friend

......Tearing out beloved and historic features of the resort, like the luau and beaches of the lagoon, to effectively build timeshare districts suggests Disney cares more about the guests staying at those timeshares than the generations of guests that may have enjoyed those features for decades.

Let us also include the generations of Guests in the future, yet to be born, as well.

At this rate, in 20 years i would expect the entire Lagoon will be packed to the gills with timeshare high rises and plaster-slapped *apartment* buildings.
Who wants to vacation in a area like that...?
A place that looks like every other over-developed piece of land in this country?

This is *Walt Disney World - The Vacation Kingdom of The World*.....
....not *WAS Disney World - The Timeshare Center of The World* ...!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also, however much we don't like it, making these changes to their signature resorts *does* present somewhat of a class issue. Tearing out beloved and historic features of the resort, like the luau and beaches of the lagoon, to effectively build timeshare districts suggests Disney cares more about the guests staying at those timeshares than the generations of guests that may have enjoyed those features for decades.

A lot of the guests staying at those timeshares are part of the generations of guests that enjoyed those features for decades. They are one in the same. I don't really get the class issue at all. Are the DVC owners the lower class and those that pay $600 to $800 a night for a hotel room the higher class? The DVC owners are moving into the deluxe resorts and there goes the neighborhood. Or is it that the DVC owners are the higher class since they have thousands to plunk down on a timeshare and they are taking advantage of the average joe who just wants to stay at the Poly. Neither seems feasible to me. DVC owners are just like anyone else at WDW. Some are rich and want bigger more extravagant rooms. Some saved their pennies and scraped together enough to put 20% down and are hoping to save some money owning DVC. Some just like the idea of owning a piece of the mouse. I don't see a class issue at all. If the luau is removed and not replaced it will be a loss for everyone, but how many other things has TDO removed that had nothing to do with DVC.

flavious27

I'm really hoping GF DVC sells poorly because I'm of sick and tired of these tastelessly done DVCs that ruin the views from the Seven Seas Lagoon for short term $$$.

I do not know how tasteless they are. The GF one matches the style and colors of GF. BLT is not another A frame building, but it does match the concept that it is a style of building that matches the styles of the era it was built. The DVCs are at the end of the day just additions that match their host hotels. Also if the NIMBY types had their way before, the GF would not have been built.

Converting the Tahiti House and Rapa Nui to DVC make sense, and the addition of the new pool area sounds great. But the loss of the decades-old Polynesian luau and the views of the lake from Tahiti's beach are tragic. I hope at the very least the luau is kept and relocated.

Ditto, the luau really adds to the hotel.

Buck

Part Two or "We just stopped caring"
The first DVC attached to an existing resort was the Villas at Wilderness Lodge which opened way, way back in the year 2000. The addition complemented the existing resort aesthetically and thematically, creating the rare backstory that works: A Lodge originally for workers who built the WL and transcontinental railroad, while not overshadowing it because they were built at the same scale.
dwv078098LARGE.jpg

As DVCs were attached to existing deluxe resorts, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge, they did not detract from the original charm of their sister resorts.
Then came the big, bad Bay Lake Tower DVC aka generic concrete high rise that we'll pretend fits in with the Contemporary because the color of the concrete is similar and we borrowed some accents. There's also the issue of having two tall towers next to a tiny tower and how that looks bad and how i would have preferred both garden wings torn down and replaced with DVC and regular guest room wings of the same height. So that was DVC's strike one in the poor taste category.

Strike Two:
Grand Floridian Villas
They didn't try (It's a box with GF accents added on), they kill a good bit of the charm of the Wedding Pavilion (Screw expensive fairytale weddings??), and this could be the DVC where they (finally) realize the udder is bleeding.
Disney_s+Grand+Floridian+Resort+Expansion+-+Exterior.jpg

compare to GF
grand-floridarian.jpg

Part Three or why Disney should stop always looking at its past and Peter Dominick is a boss coming soon...

You're reaching...badly.

PhilharMagician

-
Perhaps this was taken while parasailing...

Nope. The reason I asked is that everything in the picture is completely opposite. For example the angle @ which the picture was taken is looking right @ the boat dock to which Narcoossee's should be on the left and it is on the right. Also the marina should be on the right and is on the left in the picture. Someone please explain before my head bursts.

grand-floridarian.jpg

Figments Friend

Nope. The reason I asked is that everything in the picture is completely opposite. For example the angle @ which the picture was taken is looking right @ the boat dock to which Narcoossee's should be on the left and it is on the right. Also the marina should be on the right and is on the left in the picture. Someone please explain before my head bursts.

grand-floridarian.jpg

Ah...well in that case, sounds like this photo was printed from a 'reversed negative'.
See, long ago...once upon a time...there used to be this medium for taking photographs with called 'film'. Sometimes those resulting negatives would end up being developed 'backwards' and it would create reverse images.
This would cause the buildings to appear 'flipped' in opposite locations from where they are supposed to be.

tikiman

There was talk of the GCH being torn down but all information in the last few years including recently is the GCH will not be taken down and it will be renovated in sections.
The bungalows are still in the plan to be grand villas off the beach of Tahiti and all that has changed is how many.
Work on DVC will start this year and the first phase will be completed in 2015. This information came today.

COProgressFan

There was talk of the GCH being torn down but all information in the last few years including recently is the GCH will not be taken down and it will be renovated in sections.
The bungalows are still in the plan to be grand villas off the beach of Tahiti and all that has changed is how many.
Work on DVC will start this year and the first phase will be completed in 2015. This information came today.

I know you probably can't comment, but I'm guessing the "first phase" would be the conversion of the existing Tahiti building into DVC accommodations? Seems like that would be the quickest to accomplish.

tikiman

I know you probably can't comment, but I'm guessing the "first phase" would be the conversion of the existing Tahiti building into DVC accommodations? Seems like that would be the quickest to accomplish.

Im not sure. I was originally told first phase would be at Luau Cove but as of last week it seems that they are considering not redoing the rooms in Rapa Nui (last building on the schedule to get the new room) and just taking it down since that is where the other T shaped building will go and the lazy river. Tahiti is still scheduled to get the new room in July so I am not sure what their plan there is. I guess we will know when they start digging the end of this year to see where they will start first. Also end of summer work on the pool looks like it was pushed out to January so the end of the year and beginning of 2014 should be crazy around that resort.

PhilharMagician

Thanks for the updates.

Lazy River?

MarkTwain

Im not sure. I was originally told first phase would be at Luau Cove but as of last week it seems that they are considering not redoing the rooms in Rapa Nui (last building on the schedule to get the new room) and just taking it down since that is where the other T shaped building will go and the lazy river. Tahiti is still scheduled to get the new room in July so I am not sure what their plan there is. I guess we will know when they start digging the end of this year to see where they will start first. Also end of summer work on the pool looks like it was pushed out to January so the end of the year and beginning of 2014 should be crazy around that resort.

So it sounds like last call for booking a luau, then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom