Polynesian Refurb

MarkTwain

Converting the Tahiti House and Rapa Nui to DVC make sense, and the addition of the new pool area sounds great. But the loss of the decades-old Polynesian luau and the views of the lake from Tahiti's beach are tragic. I hope at the very least the luau is kept and relocated.

Figments Friend

I'm really hoping GF DVC sells poorly because I'm of sick and tired of these tastelessly done DVCs that ruin the views from the Seven Seas Lagoon for short term $$$.
Absolutely agree ( see my signature below..)

I have a hard time understanding why people want to be suckered into this time share racket when it ends up destroying that which they profess to love.

DVC is a horrid cancer on the Property known as WDW.
Buying into it only encourages more land on Property to be turned into expensive *apartment buildings* that clutter up and destroy the already present beauty and themed sight lines...all for the sole purpose of Disney making a buck.
That land was ment to hold more Parks and unique destination experiences for Guests...not to be utilized for time share rackets. When Wait talked about there being *enough land here to hold all of the ideas we could possibly come up with*, i am fairly certain he did NOT mean to pillage it out for time shares. Yeah i know...times have changed, and we all know the attitudes TWDC has had over the past decade or so...

Bay Lake Tower is the perfect example of what i mean by destroying visual sightlines.
The Contemporary Resort was gorgeous and sleek...futuristic looking even...when it stood on its own. DVC invades and now we have a ugly high rise tower next to it, like any you would find in a major city.
The view is now compromised..not to mention the theme..and the Contemp has lost it*s once pristine appearance.

Or how about that *high rise condo* next to the Grand Flo. Outrageous...

Soon to be ruining the view next to the Poly - two massive, five-story *apartment buildings*. Yay....NOT.

Oy vey.....
I despise DVC with a passion. Created for all the wrong reasons.

Figments Friend

Converting the Tahiti House and Rapa Nui to DVC make sense, and the addition of the new pool area sounds great. But the loss of the decades-old Polynesian luau and the views of the lake from Tahiti's beach are tragic. I hope at the very least the luau is kept and relocated.

Agree. Those aspects make sense, and fit nicely.
The five-story buildings being added is what i have a problem with.
It will completely ruin the visual look of the quaint village the Poly now exudes.

I knew this was coming....i just was hoping the buildings would be lower to the ground and more in tune with what is already there.

The Poly is my fave Resort.
It is dissapointing to see yet another steller Deluxe Resort fall into the dreaded DVC trap.

Figment82

I knew DVC was inevitable, but I wish it wasn't so damaging to existing areas. My husband proposed to me at Sunset Pointe, so I am very upset to see it changed or removed. The beach area as a whole is one of my favorite locations on property.

ryguy

Wow can't wait to see the line for the monorail in the morning. Seems like they are adding a lot more rooms. I guess we knew this day was inevitable. Wouldn't want to be the hut closest to the ferry boat launch. The huts would look better on the other side by the wedding chapel. At least you would be away from the TTC and you would have a better view of MK.

DougK

A friend of mine designed and built the main water feature in the GCH. It would be a damn shame if they actually get rid of it - especially for the sake of "space" they don't need in there.

Your friend did an awesome job. So many memories there. While we can't afford to stay at the Poly any more on any kind of regular basis we still visit the lobby every time we are at WDW. It would be a shame to lose the water feature just so they can build more stores for DVC members and more gift shops. I really hope they see how unpopular that decision would be and they figure out another way to update the GCH without removing it's heart and soul.

COProgressFan

Your friend did an awesome job. So many memories there. While we can't afford to stay at the Poly any more on any kind of regular basis we still visit the lobby every time we are at WDW. It would be a shame to lose the water feature just so they can build more stores for DVC members and more gift shops. I really hope they see how unpopular that decision would be and they figure out another way to update the GCH without removing it's heart and soul.

Agree with this completely. Heart and soul is an apt description. The tropical plants and waterfall are so central to what the Polynesian is, it would be truly be a shame to see them go.

I have many fond memories of staying at the Poly as both a child and an adult, yet we too can no longer afford to stay there on a regular basis. We also try to visit the Poly on every trip, however. From reading the forums, it seems like there's a lot of folks like us. Part of the 70s/80s/(90s?) Poly crowd, who have been priced out of staying there. I wonder if average Poly guest of 2013 knows or cares about the resort's past.

Fractal514

I for one hope this is true and look forward to being able to stay at the Poly as a DVC member. We all visit in different ways, I wish folks would turn down the hate a little bit when it comes to DVC.

asianway

Absolutely agree ( see my signature below..)

I have a hard time understanding why people want to be suckered into this time share racket when it ends up destroying that which they profess to love.

DVC is a horrid cancer on the Property known as WDW.
Buying into it only encourages more land on Property to be turned into expensive *apartment buildings* that clutter up and destroy the already present beauty and themed sight lines...all for the sole purpose of Disney making a buck.
That land was ment to hold more Parks and unique destination experiences for Guests...not to be utilized for time share rackets. When Wait talked about there being *enough land here to hold all of the ideas we could possibly come up with*, i am fairly certain he did NOT mean to pillage it out for time shares. Yeah i know...times have changed, and we all know the attitudes TWDC has had over the past decade or so...

Bay Lake Tower is the perfect example of what i mean by destroying visual sightlines.
The Contemporary Resort was gorgeous and sleek...futuristic looking even...when it stood on its own. DVC invades and now we have a ugly high rise tower next to it, like any you would find in a major city.
The view is now compromised..not to mention the theme..and the Contemp has lost it*s once pristine appearance.

Or how about that *high rise condo* next to the Grand Flo. Outrageous...

Soon to be ruining the view next to the Poly - two massive, five-story *apartment buildings*. Yay....NOT.

Oy vey.....
I despise DVC with a passion. Created for all the wrong reasons.
Have you seen the Four Seasons? Now theres a visual intrusion. At least BLT is Disney...

Texas84

Question for the DVC haters: Would you also be against adding non-DVC rooms to a resort? Or is this just a class thing? The Poly ain't exactly cheap.

COProgressFan

Question for the DVC haters: Would you also be against adding non-DVC rooms to a resort? Or is this just a class thing? The Poly ain't exactly cheap.

I'm not sure I'm a "DVC Hater" but in general I think DVC has brought some harm to the WDW resort overall, and is symptomatic of a shift in the Disney's overall strategy and business plan. And to answer another poster's comment, there generally isn't any hate toward the buyers of DVC, they are paying customers like the rest of us. And I don't think class has anything to do with it. The Poly has become outrageously overpriced, DVC or not. You can be sure the DVC prices will be right up there with whatever the GF points turn out to be.

That said, I don't have a major problem with adding rooms so long as they fit in with the existing character of the resort. In my opinion, building a 5 story building where the luau cove currently sits (and toward the TTC beach) does not fit the existing character of the Poly, which consists of 2 and 3 story longhouses.

I also do not think the BLT fits with its surrounding, nor does the giant GF DVC, which appears taller than the main building of the resort, overpowers the wedding pavilion and eliminates nearly all of the secluded beach. I do remember when it was called the Grand Floridian Beach Resort.

John

Go ahead call me a hater....see if I care. It isn't that I hate the people that buy DVC....I couldn't care less. I don't like the fact that they exist at all. Those who buy them would still come to WDW. Weather it is a savings or not is up for debate. What I don't like is as some of you have mentioned and I will take a step further. It has stripped some of the resorts of their charm....their nuances...some of its attraction. Removing the waterfall at Poly is removing an icon of the resort. Who dosnt stop and look at the fauna when visiting there? Who dosnt like the sounds of the water? Removing the luau? really? sure it is a little dated now, but it wouldn't take much effort ( hear me TDO) to do something wonderful with it.....heck you could tie in something with Alani to it. I have seen the show MANY times and love it. Where else on property can you get a show, dinner and some drinks? The entire Luau area? What a beautiful part of the resort. All sacrificed for a relatively few when compared to the n umber of guest who enjoy these areas. Hater? No I don't hate the people who buy DVC....I don't even hate DVC.....I hate TDO for this and other stupid lamebrain ideas. For what? All in the name of the all mighty dollar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom