Pleasure Island Clubs To Close?

fizzle75

I understand what you mean, I don't drink a lot, and I know what it's like to want to have a nice night out. However, you are going to an Island with CLUBS. With the amount of alocohol offered there, obviously people are going to drink. PI is considered a place for adults to unwind. However if you want a QUIET and Relaxing night out, go to a nice restaurant, because chances are no matter what you will run into people drinking at PI. Or, spend your evening at the Marketplace or West Side. Everyone is not going to change their ways for one person, so you might have to give in and change your regimen. Especially if you don't like Disney Transportation with people who have been drinking. Rental Car, anyone?

I totally understand that but my problem with PI is the fact that it is not self contained, most of the rabble rousers that I have run into have been in Westside and occasionally Marketplace. As I stated earlier we love going to Westside but there tends to be alot of folks having a "good time" at PI and then piling into the streets of the rest of DD. Trying to mix a family friendly shopping district with a clubbing area just doesn't work in my opinion...but I'm sure there are numbers to prove me wrong.

Tom Morrow

Honestly though, if you're looking for a nice, quiet evening, DTD is not the place to go. Its a night time entertainment complex, and is most crowded at night. You're better off relaxing at your hotel. Its going to be busy and loud regardless of how many people are drunk.

slappy magoo

Just a thought to add to the earlier "Comedy Warehouse isn't profitable (or isn't nearly as profitable) as 8Trax or other dance clubs:"

I wonder if there is a correlation between Comedy Warehouse/Adventurer's Club and other elements of PI/DTD that makes management think of those two clubs as "loss leaders." In other words, people who go to PI to go clubbing spend the money on drinks at the clubs, but many people who go to PI specifically to see a show wind up spending more money in other venues, shopping, restaurants before or after or maybe even going dancing after all. Thus, CW/AC serve a purpose that enhances Pleasure Island's bottom line, even if they don't make a big profit themselves. My wife and I aren't big on dancing, but usually when we go to PI, we go for CW or AC and we make a night of it, by making reservations at a DTD restaurant, shopping, maybe go to a movie too, or Disneyquest. They definitely make money from us in other ways tham only getting a drink or two in the clubs. But if CW/AC were to go away, we might not go to the DTD area as much, if at all.

And while I'm adding two cents to earlier comments let me also say, living in the NYC area, drink prices are pretty much in line with what I expect to pay. But to be fair, I'm not a beer drinker so I can never take advantage of 2-dollar bottle nights or quarter/pitcher specials, etc.

This is going to sound mean (but then again, I am kind of a r@t b@st@rd), but I wonder if the bloom coming off the Pleasure Island rose has more to do with a: the dance clubs themselves coming off as a homogenized recreation of a nightclub more than an actual nightclub, a synthesized approximation of the real thing that keeps veteran clubbers away, and b: the absence of those aforemetioned veteran clubbers keeps other resort guests away, because they're stuck on line with all you dillholes and decide that the last think they want to do is go drinking and dancing with all y'all at night too. :ROFLOL: And C: Since so many Disney resort guests tend to be families, all the parents with at least half a brain don't go because they're not about to expose their kids to a nightclub element, even a synthetic watered-down version of a nightclub (Heck, I've been to 8Trax and RnRBC on nights so slow and boring, they make "The Place" on Kids Incorporated look like a Rod Stewart birthday party at Club 54 during the Steve Rubell era). So, most families don't go, hard core clubbers on vacation with their families don't want to dirty dance with their Aunt Helga, families that DO go creep out single folks looking for a little sumpn sumpn, and those horn dogs have to deal with disappointing glares from the small number of Harper Valley PTA members who insist on enjoying every square inch of WDW with their kids in tow...

I dunno, it seems like one of those situation where, by trying to find something for everyone, it winds up appealing to no one. Or at least, not enough someones.

Personally, with my wife & I expecting our first, it might be a while before we enjoy PI again anyway, so its future isn't as important to me as it used to be. If they made it a giant bowling alley, or a giant obstacle course ala American Gladiators/Most Extreme Elimination Championship or kept the clubs and made them all ages or no ages, or only people whose age is a prime number, it probably has ceased to be a factor for awhile. However, I do hate to see it withering on the vine, and wish they made A decision, ANY decision on how to go forward, as walking around the area at night was kinda sad, and only the actual entertainment in AC/CW made it worthwhile IMHO.

And put me down as one who'd like to see more age appropriate entertainment for adults (as opposed to "adult entertainment" in the usual sense, haha) in the lounges of all the resorts. Heck, I've always thought that WDW could probably make a nice chunk of change if, along with the other options for transportation, they'd have a fleet of cabs to take people from resort to resort. If, for example, they were to move AC to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'd be happy to drive there or pay to cab it there. If the CW were moved to one of the Boardwalk resorts, I'd do the same, or of course just walk there if I were close enough, or if I were visiting Epcot that night, I'd walk through IG afterwards, see a show and then cab it back to my resort. And having some semblance of nightlife within the resorts might influence people to visit the resorts or unwind a bit. I mean, some people might consider this borderline child abuse, but I know that, were I still a kid, being the youngest of 5 and all, and if my parents took us to WDW, my parents would be more inclined to visit an in-resort nightclub, leaving my teenaged siblings to watch over the younger kids, and feeling more comfortable being only a few minutes walk/run away in case of emergency as opposed to going all the way over to a giant shopping/enetertainment complex.

Sorry for the novel, my wife's got a stomach bug on top of "morning" sickness, and I've spent most of Christmas home while she sleeps. I'm getting punchy. But if history teaches me anything, it's that I'm often a Destroyer of Threads, so I won't be surprised if everyone now becomes officially sick of this thread.

you're welcome. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
And please, please, PLEASE make Downtown Disney SMOKE FREE!

:lol:

CANOFWORMS.jpg

calismic

I totally understand that but my problem with PI is the fact that it is not self contained, most of the rabble rousers that I have run into have been in Westside and occasionally Marketplace. As I stated earlier we love going to Westside but there tends to be alot of folks having a "good time" at PI and then piling into the streets of the rest of DD.

I'm curious....what time are you hanging out in Downtown Disney?? I ask because in most situations, if an individual is going to a club, they're not coming out until the earliest around 11pm. I've spent many many evenings in DD and never run into any drunkards. Now granted we are out of there by 9pm, but theres really no reason to stay any later. By choosing to stay late into the evening you are willing to risk running into a few inebriated individuals.

Thelazer

Nailed it, 100%!!!!

Just a thought to add to the earlier "Comedy Warehouse isn't profitable (or isn't nearly as profitable) as 8Trax or other dance clubs:"

I wonder if there is a correlation between Comedy Warehouse/Adventurer's Club and other elements of PI/DTD that makes management think of those two clubs as "loss leaders." In other words, people who go to PI to go clubbing spend the money on drinks at the clubs, but many people who go to PI specifically to see a show wind up spending more money in other venues, shopping, restaurants before or after or maybe even going dancing after all. Thus, CW/AC serve a purpose that enhances Pleasure Island's bottom line, even if they don't make a big profit themselves. My wife and I aren't big on dancing, but usually when we go to PI, we go for CW or AC and we make a night of it, by making reservations at a DTD restaurant, shopping, maybe go to a movie too, or Disneyquest. They definitely make money from us in other ways tham only getting a drink or two in the clubs. But if CW/AC were to go away, we might not go to the DTD area as much, if at all.

And while I'm adding two cents to earlier comments let me also say, living in the NYC area, drink prices are pretty much in line with what I expect to pay. But to be fair, I'm not a beer drinker so I can never take advantage of 2-dollar bottle nights or quarter/pitcher specials, etc.

This is going to sound mean (but then again, I am kind of a r@t b@st@rd), but I wonder if the bloom coming off the Pleasure Island rose has more to do with a: the dance clubs themselves coming off as a homogenized recreation of a nightclub more than an actual nightclub, a synthesized approximation of the real thing that keeps veteran clubbers away, and b: the absence of those aforemetioned veteran clubbers keeps other resort guests away, because they're stuck on line with all you dillholes and decide that the last think they want to do is go drinking and dancing with all y'all at night too. :ROFLOL: And C: Since so many Disney resort guests tend to be families, all the parents with at least half a brain don't go because they're not about to expose their kids to a nightclub element, even a synthetic watered-down version of a nightclub (Heck, I've been to 8Trax and RnRBC on nights so slow and boring, they make "The Place" on Kids Incorporated look like a Rod Stewart birthday party at Club 54 during the Steve Rubell era). So, most families don't go, hard core clubbers on vacation with their families don't want to dirty dance with their Aunt Helga, families that DO go creep out single folks looking for a little sumpn sumpn, and those horn dogs have to deal with disappointing glares from the small number of Harper Valley PTA members who insist on enjoying every square inch of WDW with their kids in tow...

I dunno, it seems like one of those situation where, by trying to find something for everyone, it winds up appealing to no one. Or at least, not enough someones.

Personally, with my wife & I expecting our first, it might be a while before we enjoy PI again anyway, so its future isn't as important to me as it used to be. If they made it a giant bowling alley, or a giant obstacle course ala American Gladiators/Most Extreme Elimination Championship or kept the clubs and made them all ages or no ages, or only people whose age is a prime number, it probably has ceased to be a factor for awhile. However, I do hate to see it withering on the vine, and wish they made A decision, ANY decision on how to go forward, as walking around the area at night was kinda sad, and only the actual entertainment in AC/CW made it worthwhile IMHO.

And put me down as one who'd like to see more age appropriate entertainment for adults (as opposed to "adult entertainment" in the usual sense, haha) in the lounges of all the resorts. Heck, I've always thought that WDW could probably make a nice chunk of change if, along with the other options for transportation, they'd have a fleet of cabs to take people from resort to resort. If, for example, they were to move AC to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'd be happy to drive there or pay to cab it there. If the CW were moved to one of the Boardwalk resorts, I'd do the same, or of course just walk there if I were close enough, or if I were visiting Epcot that night, I'd walk through IG afterwards, see a show and then cab it back to my resort. And having some semblance of nightlife within the resorts might influence people to visit the resorts or unwind a bit. I mean, some people might consider this borderline child abuse, but I know that, were I still a kid, being the youngest of 5 and all, and if my parents took us to WDW, my parents would be more inclined to visit an in-resort nightclub, leaving my teenaged siblings to watch over the younger kids, and feeling more comfortable being only a few minutes walk/run away in case of emergency as opposed to going all the way over to a giant shopping/enetertainment complex.

Sorry for the novel, my wife's got a stomach bug on top of "morning" sickness, and I've spent most of Christmas home while she sleeps. I'm getting punchy. But if history teaches me anything, it's that I'm often a Destroyer of Threads, so I won't be surprised if everyone now becomes officially sick of this thread.

you're welcome. :)

Eyorefan

I think you just nailed every reason why I have never gone to PI and probably never will.

I sure hope they do shut it down and change it all.

I personally don't go to the clubs (except Adventurer's and Comedy Warehouse), but I've heard from all my club-going friends that the PI clubs are pretty lame in comparison to "real" clubs that are downtown or where ever.

I-4Warrior

For me, the shine came off the Pleasure Island apple when it became a transitional walkway from the West Side to the Marketplace. I just found it to be bothersome when you're at PI with friends and you're trying to have a fun, loose time, and you see a whole family (grandma, etc..) standing by the old Beach Club Stage clapping, having a grand old time while their handful of toddlers are dancing in the middle of the walkway. They're having a wonderful time and there's really nothing wrong with that. I don't begrudge anyone having a good time, but I resent that with the huge family presence over the last few years at PI that the club patrons who've maybe had a few drinks now have to be more inhibited. It's really a buzzkill. PI was the one place on WDW property that you didn't have to be completely restrained. I'm not advocating anyone getting smashed, causing fights, acting boorish and/or harassing people, but there is a distinct difference between a night out partying with adults and being on family behavior.

I just wish they'd go back to the gates/ticket system and allow PI to be what it used to be. I sincerely don't want it to go away, and I don't think wholesale changes to the structure of it is the answer. Backtracking to what made it successful in the first place is clearly the answer (to me, at least). I'd hate to see it become nothing but restaurants and shops, enough already. That's all the West Side and the Marketplace are, and that's more than fine, just don't homogenize PI into being just another shopping/eating area.

Eyorefan

For me, the shine came off the Pleasure Island apple when it became a transitional walkway from the West Side to the Marketplace. I just found it to be bothersome when you're at PI with friends and you're trying to have a fun, loose time, and you see a whole family (grandma, etc..) standing by the old Beach Club Stage clapping, having a grand old time while their handful of toddlers are dancing in the middle of the walkway. They're having a wonderful time and there's really nothing wrong with that. I don't begrudge anyone having a good time, but I resent that with the huge family presence over the last few years at PI that the club patrons who've maybe had a few drinks now have to be more inhibited. It's really a buzzkill. PI was the one place on WDW property that you didn't have to be completely restrained. I'm not advocating anyone getting smashed, causing fights, acting boorish and/or harassing people, but there is a distinct difference between a night out partying with adults and being on family behavior.

I just wish they'd go back to the gates/ticket system and allow PI to be what it used to be. I sincerely don't want it to go away, and I don't think wholesale changes to the structure of it is the answer. Backtracking to what made it successful in the first place is clearly the answer (to me, at least). I'd hate to see it become nothing but restaurants and shops, enough already. That's all the West Side and the Marketplace are, and that's more than fine, just don't homogenize PI into being just another shopping/eating area.

I like how you put this, and I have to say I agree. If you are going to have a night club area make it adults only. You can't have it both ways with this one. Families don't want to see people who are drunk and being loud and people who are out to party and drink don't want to see families and I can't say that I disagree with either group. If you want to have PI they need to put it in an area all on its own and make it 21 and older. No kids allowed period. I think Disney has soon that there is no such thing as a successful family friendly night club.

hrcollectibles

I'm trying to understand that mentality but I just don't get it. yeah, you folks may have found a nice "safe" place to drink and party but as a result you are creating an environment where those of us who don't drink and party feel very unsafe ourselves. I know one of your responses may be "well don't go to PI" but the reality is that it affects all of Westside and, to a certain extent, Marketplace. These folks get liquored up and then take their less than savory behaviour outside of PI.

Ahhh, there's nothing like spending a long day in the parks, TRYING to spend a nice, quiet, RELAXING evening at DD and THEN piling into a bus full of loud obnoxious drunks for a twenty minute ride. Now THAT'S what I call a vacation! :rolleyes:

I would much rather them be on a bus not driving then on the roads in their car....I go to PI at least once a trip I go to the CW and Beach Club ( I like cover bands because I know all of the songs they sing..lol) and I go to the cigar bar because I like to enjoy a cigar every now and then. I do not get rip roaring drunk... If I am staying on property the buses provide a nice safe way to get around....if not I get a cab .... I really hope they do not close PI down.. If they do I hope they add maybe a few new types of clubs.

Dfanfyears

I have to agree with you I-4 Warrior.
My wife and I were disappointed with the changes at PI this past May of 07.
We both liked the old concept of Pleasure Island.
Adult get away with no kids.
We missed the West End Stage with live music, celebrating New Years Eve every night.
Disney should go back to what made PI so popular, good bands will always draw a crowd.
Dfanfyears

CaptainMichael

I have gone to the AC about 20 times, and I've only encountered a dangerous drunk (trying to grope Samantha Sterling) once, and he was escourted out immediately.

However, last night there was a family of 4 with a double stroller in the Main Salon with a crying baby and a bottle (baby bottle) on the floor of a BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I encounter this much more than drunks...both are equally annoying!

daguru

However, last night there was a family of 4 with a double stroller in the Main Salon with a crying baby and a bottle (baby bottle) on the floor of a BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I encounter this much more than drunks...both are equally annoying!

I've seen this a couple of times... Not cool...

Couple of times I've seen kids around 5-6 years old at the club and they will make fun of the kids/parents all night long... Probably to try to "convience" them to leave, in their own "special" way...

sknydave

I'm trying to understand that mentality but I just don't get it. yeah, you folks may have found a nice "safe" place to drink and party but as a result you are creating an environment where those of us who don't drink and party feel very unsafe ourselves. I know one of your responses may be "well don't go to PI" but the reality is that it affects all of Westside and, to a certain extent, Marketplace. These folks get liquored up and then take their less than savory behaviour outside of PI.

Ahhh, there's nothing like spending a long day in the parks, TRYING to spend a nice, quiet, RELAXING evening at DD and THEN piling into a bus full of loud obnoxious drunks for a twenty minute ride. Now THAT'S what I call a vacation! :rolleyes:

I think somehow you managed to catch a bus from Tortuga with so many drunk and dangerous people that made you feel unsafe.

fizzle75

I think somehow you managed to catch a bus from Tortuga with so many drunk and dangerous people that made you feel unsafe.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing Jack Sparrow and Mr. Gibbs on there late one night!:D

I have reread my post several times since yesterday morning and I once again apologize for being a bit harsh and blowing things out of proportion. When I posted that I wasn't feeling well, hadn't slept well at all the night before and I was a wee bit cranky.

Regardless of what some posters have said, I have encountered quite a few inebriated folks at DD outside of PI and I honestly do feel very uncomfortable at DD late at night.

To answer someone elses question...we love to go to World of Disney and alot of times we go late in the evening after the parks have closed since it stays open until at least 11:00.

dpunky

I think the answer to reviving Pleasure Island is to put back the West End Stage in a location that does not block foot traffic. The West End Stage allowed adults to celebrate New Years Eve every day with live acts. But this definitely needs to be in a wide open area that does not block pedestrians going to the other side of PI. In order to make room for this, I think they need to get rid of a few clubs to accomodate the space. Let face it, most of the clubs don't get huge numbers anymore. Plus Disney is going in the direction of the entire family experience. Bring back the West End Stage and make it more family friendly, and PI can get more popular again.

spectrodanny

Pleasure Island is a mere shell of its former self.
So much so that it is barely a memory.

They might as well just go ahead and change the name of it to
Pleasure Walkway, because that is all it is now.

Very sad indeed as I strolled - literally ALONE - around there last week.

They should just throw in the world's biggest Chuckie Cheese where Mannequins is and get it over with already.

:mad:

YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! if THAT ever happened Figment'sFreind and I would probably decend on the place in a heartbeat

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I think a few things have killed Pleasure Island.

The venues used to be more diversified.
Allowing children in
The Townies took over.

There should just be a club in each Resort in my opinion that only allow resort guests in. That would allow guests to check out other resorts and resort hop and enjoy a few cocktails at the same time.
The locals have lots of places to go outside of the parks. They don't need to go to Disney Bars.

Just my opinion, don't flame me please.

They used to have clubs/bars at many of the resorts. They were all pulled out when Pleasure Island opened

....general theory at the time was move the drunks away from the resort room areas

WDWKat26

So just FYI, I went to PI last night for my Birthday. My friend and I went to Mannequins, and there weren't more then 10 people in there. Same for Motion. It was really sad. No one was dancing at Motion, and at Mannequins you had the one woman who was off in her own world dancing on the floor by herself.

A majority of the guests were at Adventurer's Club. We also went to 8-Trax and there were some people dancing. That was pretty funny, watching the drunk people try to dance to "Funkytown". But, there weren't more than 50 people in the club. It was very sad. My Birthday last year wasn't busy either, but it was worse this year.

I would hate to see Pleasure Island close, but after last night, I could see why the clubs would close. The bartenders just stood around and were so bored. The alcohol is watered down, and the drinks are so-so (Except for the Kungaloosh!). I would love to see a bowling alley go into PI. I also remember when I was a kid and I loved going Rollerblading, and I wished that they would put a roller rink on property as well. I know, it sounds sorta lame, but I was young, and that's what appealed to me at the time. The last time I went bowling, it was up on 192. I had the best time drinking, bowling and listening to music. Plus, the crowd was pretty good.

Who knows what'll happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom