Pleasure Island Changes

jmuboy

Original Poster
I really think that at a minimum, the Comedy Warehouse could be reopened. A Comedy club has such broad appeal and would still be a unique form of entertainment to the WDW complex. The facility is still there, untouched I'm sure. It would not take too much effort and promotion to get the place open again.

the-reason14

grumblegrumblegrumble*opentheclubbackupyouidiots*grumblegrumblegrumble
:mad:

I agree. Was there any legitimate reason as to why they closed down the clubs to begin with? Was it attendance and an undisney like atmosphere? I'm thinking attendance maybe, and as far as undisney like atmosphere, it was there for like what maybe 20 years? So for them to close it because it was undisney like now is really stupid. I thought they were gonna do something with PI to where it was more open and free? Something about it was gonna be more family friendly. Did they try that, or give up on that idea?

jt04

I agree. Was there any legitimate reason as to why they closed down the clubs to begin with? Was it attendance and an undisney like atmosphere? I'm thinking attendance maybe, and as far as undisney like atmosphere, it was there for like what maybe 20 years? So for them to close it because it was undisney like now is really stupid. I thought they were gonna do something with PI to where it was more open and free? Something about it was gonna be more family friendly. Did they try that, or give up on that idea?

They haven't even really begun to roll out the new ideas. It will be a multi-year project.

scpergj

No see, the entertainment wasn't "family friendly" enough, now if they built a bar playing Hannah Montana music 24/7 then it would be ok....and don't forget the merchandise cart at the exit:hammer:

Well that would certainly encourage me to drink.:lol:

Might be a good idea!!!

Here we go...

Dad to daughter - "Hey, lets have dinner and hang out at the Hannah Montana Bar!"

Daughter - "Cool idea - I love Hannah Montana!"

Dad to himself - "do they have strong enough liquor to make me stay???"

Interestingly enough, my 7 year old daughter is really into Hannah Montana. The creepy part about that is when it comes up in conversation at work, there is a fifty-something, never married no kids guy that knows more about Hannah Montana than my 7 year old does....creepy...

Goofnut1980

I was at Downtown Disney saturday afternoon and it was PACKED... I do not think they are hurting for attendance... They need more normal priced restaurants... I mean we put our name in at T-REX at 730pm and it was a 75 min wait... and people were shopping... People always find money to spend at WDW...

jt04

Might be a good idea!!!

Here we go...

Dad to daughter - "Hey, lets have dinner and hang out at the Hannah Montana Bar!"

Daughter - "Cool idea - I love Hannah Montana!"

Dad to himself - "do they have strong enough liquor to make me stay???"

Interestingly enough, my 7 year old daughter is really into Hannah Montana. The creepy part about that is when it comes up in conversation at work, there is a fifty-something, never married no kids guy that knows more about Hannah Montana than my 7 year old does....creepy...

Sounds like you are describing the average AC client :ROFLOL:(kidding)

I was at Downtown Disney saturday afternoon and it was PACKED... I do not think they are hurting for attendance... They need more normal priced restaurants... I mean we put our name in at T-REX at 730pm and it was a 75 min wait... and people were shopping... People always find money to spend at WDW...

Disney is tapping into a very lucrative market by creating a family friendly nightime entertainment complex. Very genius! :sohappy:

jt04

Yes, it's called Downtown Disney Marketplace and Disney didn't "create" anything there but a profit.
:rolleyes:

Since when is profit a bad thing. And I thought the new family friendly Dinosaur restaurant was built next to PI. Like right next to Raglin Road.:shrug:

WDW1974

When workers lose jobs (not to mention homes) they tend to have less to spend.

No one is insulated (to use a quote I just stole from NBC News's Brian Williams) when the economy is headed to waters uncharted in any of our lifetimes (I'm going to assume we don't have any folks old enough to have been around in the early 1930s here to comment.) Today, it was Caterpiller, Home Depot, GM, Sprint among others announcing massive layoffs.

DD is packed all the time because it is FREE. You can go and hang out at a very nice outdoor Disney mall and not spend a penny or spend a small amount.

You absolutely would be ignorant in assuming a busy DD equals good numbers for Disney.

Two things are certain about PI: Disney is saving a lot of money by not operating/staffing the clubs (whether they would have made more or broke even by running them is another matter) and Disney hasn't gotten one major third party to sign to open a location there since they shuttered the Island.

CaptainMichael

Since when is profit a bad thing. And I thought the new family friendly Dinosaur restaurant was built next to PI. Like right next to Raglin Road.:shrug:

It's not, but it could be at the expense of quality. I go to WDW to experience Disney creations.... PI was a Disney creation...the only such thing at DTD.

T-Rex is on the Marketplace side.

jt04

When workers lose jobs (not to mention homes) they tend to have less to spend.

No one is insulated (to use a quote I just stole from NBC News's Brian Williams) when the economy is headed to waters uncharted in any of our lifetimes (I'm going to assume we don't have any folks old enough to have been around in the early 1930s here to comment.) Today, it was Caterpiller, Home Depot, GM, Sprint among others announcing massive layoffs.

DD is packed all the time because it is FREE. You can go and hang out at a very nice outdoor Disney mall and not spend a penny or spend a small amount.

You absolutely would be ignorant in assuming a busy DD equals good numbers for Disney.

Two things are certain about PI: Disney is saving a lot of money by not operating/staffing the clubs (whether they would have made more or broke even by running them is another matter) and Disney hasn't gotten one major third party to sign to open a location there since they shuttered the Island.

Good part is they don't need third party participants. And 70 minute waits indicates to me the new restaurant is "recession proof" to some degree. Way to go Disney!:sohappy:

jt04

It's not, but it could be at the expense of quality. I go to WDW to experience Disney creations.... PI was a Disney creation...the only such thing at DTD.

T-Rex is on the Marketplace side.

Thats odd because last time I was walking next to RR someone pointed at a new giant building there and said it was the new Dino restaurant. But no matter, it's all going to be blended into one giant complex soon that won't have different "lands". See ya PI :wave:

CaptainMichael

Good part is they don't need third party participants. And 70 minute waits indicates to me the new restaurant is "recession proof" to some degree. Way to go Disney!:sohappy:

To the first part, huh? Minus a few select stores on the Marketplace side, everything there is a third party.

To the second part, it's a new restaurant...with dinosaurs. Can't screw that up. Would have been real cool in Dinoland USA.

CaptainMichael

Thats odd because last time I was walking next to RR someone pointed at a new giant building there and said it was the new Dino restaurant. But no matter, it's all going to be blended into one giant complex soon that won't have different "lands". See ya PI :wave:

Sure, it's right there, but there is a canal separating the two that makes Pleasure Island an island.

And you just described the Wal-Marting of Disney. Kind of like when individual Main St. shops were blended into one big Emporium...Or when individual resorts got blended into "Disney Parks" Oh joy! Homogenization!:sohappy:

jt04

To the first part, huh? Minus a few select stores on the Marketplace side, everything there is a third party.

To the second part, it's a new restaurant...with dinosaurs. Can't screw that up. Would have been real cool in Dinoland USA.

I was just making the point that Disney does not need nor are they dependent on 3rd party vendors to build out for the future. (I've nothing against third party vendors)

Just another example of Disney managements brilliant stratigic planning.

CaptainMichael

I was just making the point that Disney does not need nor are they dependent on 3rd party vendors to build out for the future. (I've nothing against third party vendors)

Just another example of Disney managements brilliant stratigic planning.

They don't and they aren't? Without 3rd parties, your beloved version of DTD doesn't exist.

jt04

Sure, it's right there, but there is a canal separating the two that makes Pleasure Island an island.

And you just described the Wal-Marting of Disney. Kind of like when individual Main St. shops were blended into one big Emporium...Or when individual resorts got blended into "Disney Parks" Oh joy! Homogenization!:sohappy:

Hey, I got someone to mention "Walmarting" in less than 5 posts! I believe that is the new record! Way to go me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom