Please talk me into it!! (or out of it....lol)

happymom52003

So....I am the type of person who has to be 100% sure about things. I have a very tough time making decisions, especially when money is involved!

I have a crazy idea, and my DH is not being very helpful....lol. And I can't talk to friends of family members, because if we do this it needs to be TOP SECRET and I can't trust everyone not to spill the beans!

So I need you all to either tell me my idea is great and I should do it, or tell me that I am crazy and to forget about it!

Let me start by saying that I HATE to be at WDW when it is crowded. And almost just as much, I hate being there in the heat of summer. I've always sworn I would never plan our trip for summer....ever.

But....recently, my DS has become obsessed with Star Wars. He lives, eats, and breathes Star Wars.

We are planning a family reunion vacation for June, and while are plans are not finalized, there is a high chance that it will be at Sanibel Island, Fl.

Now being the Disney fanatic that I am, my first thought is how in the world can I go all the way to Florida (we live far, far away!!) and NOT go to Disney World?? But I remembered how much I hate the heat and the crowds, so I put that our of my mind. Also, we really can't afford a big trip to Disney this year, especially on top of our beach trip. We are hoping to make it back to Disney for our annual week long trip in early 2010.

But...then I rememberd Star Wars weekends...and what a THRILL it would be for my son (and my DH, for that matter) to be able to expereince it.

So I was thinking....we would already being flying roundtrip to Florida to go to Sanibel, so we are paying for airfare reagardless of whether we go to WDW or not. Then I was thinking about accomodations....we usually stay at the WL or the Poly. But seeing how this trip would be very short (probably only 2, maybe three nights) and our main focus would be going to DHS rather than MK and EPCOT, it really would not matter if we were at a monorail resort....we could stay at a much less expensive resort.

As far as tickets, we could go ahead and buy 10 day park hoppers and add the no expiration, and use the rest for our 2010 trip.

So....it really will not cost us a whole lot extra to add on a quick trip to WDW.

But....seeing how we hate crowds and heat, do you think I would be miserable? Or would the fact that my son actually gets to go to a Star Wars weekend make up for that? And knowing that this was not our "main" WDW trip, maybe I would be more willing to put up with the heat and crowds??:shrug:

Here is what we would do....fly into Ft. Myers and spend about 5 or 6 days in Sanibel. Then, on our last day we would drive the several hours to Orlando. If the kids wonder why, we would just tell them that our flight home had to be out of Orlando instead of Ft. Myers (they are still young enough that they would buy that story!). Then instead of going to the airport, we'd go to WDW.....but not tell them. They'd know when we are driving under the welcome sign!

We'd stay 2 or 3 nights, maybe in one of the pirate themed rooms at CBR, then fly home from Orlando.

So....should I do it??

mousefan1972

*giggles*

Do you really expect us to tell you no, don't do it?? :animwink:

Of course you should go! Your son will be thrilled with SWW. And since you'll be in FL already... :D

My DH is just like yours. No help with this kind of thing, whatsoever. :dazzle: So if he's ambivalent, go for it!

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member
I say yes! especially since you basically will only have to pay for the room, since buying a 10 day ticket with no epiration is not nearly as much as buying a plain 2 or 3 day ticket! and you already gotta buy the flight down and back anyway! It will be a great surprise and hopefully you can hit a chilly week and not a heat wave week! I would do this if I had the opportunity for sure!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I'm currently writing on a moto q, so it's not all that easy to look this stuff up, but would you save any money if at least 1 ticket were an annual pass? This way, you may be able to get a passholder discount on your room this time and next. You said your next trip would be in early 2010, so unless there's any chance you wouldn't get back within a year of first using your pass, it might save you a good chunk of change (especially since you often stay in monorail hotels - passholder discounts there are often $75-100 off a night).

I've never gone during SW Weekends, so I've no idea if this is traditionally a blackout period for passholder discounts. And of course, the economy being what it is, there may be even better deals available to you. Just throwing it out there.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You should do it but you will need to be prepared for what awaits you. SWW is incredibly busy. If you do intend to go you must get to DHS very early....on the order of an hour before park opening. You also must make a decision as to what you want to do there. I would assume that you will want to do the meet and greets with the characters and Jedi Training Academy. You can do these pretty easily if you get there early enough and head straight to the meet and greets. If you get there late, hit a few attractions, etc you are going to find yourself in a sea of people.

It will also more than likely be quite hot. You will want to wear light colors (white if at all possible) and plan for a TS lunch and/or trip back to the resort for a midday break.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I say go for it! If you don't you are just going to torture yourself about being in Florida and not going. I am not one for the big crowds either but I would go to be able to take DH & DS to SWW.

Let us know what ya decide! :)

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

Another vote for YES!! I totally understand it when you say you could put up with the heat and crowds since this isn't your main trip. I would feel the exact same way. We have always wanted to go for Star Wars Weekends but the crowds and heat, put us off. If I was going to take another trip though, no problem!!:D

I could also be happy in smaller rooms, since this trip would just be a "bonus".:)

Upvote 0

LuisT

NO NO NO. just kidding ;) I think you should definitely go for it! You can always leave the parks if you ever feel uncomfortable.

If I had any opportunity to go to disney, I would go without even thinking.

Upvote 0

kitten2299

GO YES GO!!!! we went in 2004 and want to go again in a few ys, we have to do Halloween and Christmas before star wars again. If your DS and DH are star wars fans it is a must do and since your already going to be in Florida! DH was so excited to see Darth Maul and that when he tried to scare DD (8 months at the time) she laughed at him. Have a great time!!!

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

Top 10 reasons to go for it...
10...Test Track
9.....Tower of Terror
8.....Soarin
7.....Pirates of the carribean
6.....Expedition Everest
5.....Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
4.....Rock N Rollercoaster
3.....Spaceship Earth
2.....Illuminations
1.....Its Disney World.......

Upvote 0

KristieLC

I can't stand heat or crowds either. Both are known to put me in a terrible mood! That being said, for just a few days and the enjoyment of seeing your kids so excited, I say go for it.

Upvote 0

eagles

i went last june during star wars weekend. it was HOT and CROWDED. i was miserable.

however, knowing this and knowing that i would only be there for 1 or 2 days just for the star wars events, i would say YES, YES and YES. go for it.

i did not find the meet and greets character lines any longer than normal character lines during a busy time. i wasn't into the actors and their signatures, but getting a couple of star wars characters was fun.

again, go for it and enjoy your time.

Upvote 0

fredrickr

I was down there in June of '07. Yes, its HOT and even worse, the humidity is usually higher that the temperature. If you except the fact that little ones are going to be having 'meltdowns' everywhere, you'll have a great time. I say go for it!

Upvote 0

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Top 10 reasons to go for it...
10...Test Track
9.....Tower of Terror
8.....Soarin
7.....Pirates of the carribean
6.....Expedition Everest
5.....Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
4.....Rock N Rollercoaster
3.....Spaceship Earth
2.....Illuminations
1.....Its Disney World.......

You forgot the Haunted Mansion!:lookaroun

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom