Planning our ADR's - Need a few suggestions

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
I just booked our trip for October 2nd through the 8th to take advantage of free dining.
I am trying to plan some places that I have not yet been to, but I am also dealing with a somewhat picky eater.
We were toying around with the idea of doing one signature dining restaurant since we might book the Keys to the Kingdom tour which includes lunch. Then if we book a signature dining that takes up two TS credits, we at least will have an extra CS credit to use for a dinner another night.

I really REALLY want to go to the California Grill, however looking over the menu some of the selections seem a little strange. Not to me, but for someone who is not as adventurous I was thinking she might not like (or THINK) she likes anything. Has anyone who likes really basic meals been to California Grill and if so could you find something you liked?

So my choices for signature are:
California Grill
Citricos
Narcoosees

I am only choosing one - so I would love to hear opinions between the three. Of the menus I viewed I felt like Narcoosees had more she would like. She likes fish.

Here are the rest of the restaurants I am trying to choose between. If I do a signature restaurant I can only choose 4:

1900 Park Fare - We want to go to GF for sure whether it is signature or not and I have already been to GF Cafe

Captain's Grille - We went to Cape May last year, loved it and want to go back over to that area so I thought this sounded like a good choice

Le Cellier - This is a definite so I will be choosing it!

Turf Club - It sounded interesting, would love some reviews of this

Maya Grill - I have seen mixed reviews, however the menu looked good and I have never been to CS and would love to see it

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Just interested in seeing the WL so was not sure if this is a great place or not

Tutto Italia - Will the new counter service place be open in Italy by October? If so, we could skip this restaurant and try the counter service. I feel like Italian can be found anywhere, but the pictures online of the restaurant looked like it had a beautiful atmosphere.

So I need to choose 4 and 1 signature or skip the signature and the decision won't be hard at all. :) Please give me any reviews you have or tell me if you think any are bad choices.

I have been to the following, all great, but that is why they are not on my list:
Boma
Coral Reef
Kona Cafe
GF Cafe
Les Chefs de France
Biergarten
Marrakesh
50's Prime Time
Rose and Crown
Cape May Cafe

zurgandfriend

I just booked our trip for October 2nd through the 8th to take advantage of free dining.
I am trying to plan some places that I have not yet been to, but I am also dealing with a somewhat picky eater.
We were toying around with the idea of doing one signature dining restaurant since we might book the Keys to the Kingdom tour which includes lunch. Then if we book a signature dining that takes up two TS credits, we at least will have an extra CS credit to use for a dinner another night.

I really REALLY want to go to the California Grill, however looking over the menu some of the selections seem a little strange. Not to me, but for someone who is not as adventurous I was thinking she might not like (or THINK) she likes anything. Has anyone who likes really basic meals been to California Grill and if so could you find something you liked?

California Grill
Citricos
Narcoosees

I am only choosing one - so I would love to hear opinions between the three. Of the menus I viewed I felt like Narcoosees had more she would like. She likes fish.

Here are the rest of the restaurants I am trying to choose between. If I do a signature restaurant I can only choose 4:

1900 Park Fare - We want to go to GF for sure whether it is signature or not and I have already been to GF Cafe

Captain's Grille - We went to Cape May last year, loved it and want to go back over to that area so I thought this sounded like a good choice

Maya Grill - I have seen mixed reviews, however the menu looked good and I have never been to CS and would love to see it

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Just interested in seeing the WL so was not sure if this is a great place or not

Tutto Italia - Will the new counter service place be open in Italy by October? If so, we could skip this restaurant and try the counter service. I feel like Italian can be found anywhere, but the pictures online of the restaurant looked like it had a beautiful atmosphere.

So I need to choose 4 and 1 signature or skip the signature and the decision won't be hard at all. :) Please give me any reviews you have or tell me if you think any are bad choices.

I have been to the following, all great, but that is why they are not on my list:
Boma
Coral Reef
Kona Cafe
GF Cafe
Les Chefs de France
Biergarten
Marrakesh
50's Prime Time
Rose and Crown
Cape May Cafe

I would highly recommend the California Grille over the other two, the atmosphere and grille will win her over. The menu changes regularly but they always have a filet of beef and at least one fish dish, slamon cod, halbut etc. on the menu so again I say go for it! Your going to the GF and 1900 PF anyway.

The rest of your choices sound good. Whispering canyon is aways fun for a first timer Ask for Ketchup. We enjoyed Tutto Italia, Le Cellier, Captain's grille and 1900 Park Fare which IMHO is one of the better buffets at WDW.

We have never been to to Turf Club or Maya Grill, I will say that I never heard a good review of the Maya Grill, but then again a lot of people knock Tutto Italia too.

Enjoy!

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Get your ADR's in now!!!!!!

Your may be dissppointed with availability. LeCellier is most likely booked for your stay.

Good Luck:)

Yes I am going to try to at least book Le Cellier today.
Hopefully there is something available.

zurgandfriend said:
I would highly recommend the California Grille over the other two, the atmosphere and grille will win her over. The menu changes regularly but they always have a filet of beef and at least one fish dish, slamon cod, halbut etc. on the menu so again I say go for it! Your going to the GF and 1900 PF anyway.

The rest of your choices sound good. Whispering canyon is aways fun for a first timer Ask for Ketchup. We enjoyed Tutto Italia, Le Cellier, Captain's grille and 1900 Park Fare which IMHO is one of the better buffets at WDW.

We have never been to to Turf Club or Maya Grill, I will say that I never heard a good review of the Maya Grill, but then again a lot of people knock Tutto Italia too.

Enjoy!

Thank for the comments on California Grill. I REALLY want to go there but was worried about the menu. I have a feeling alot of it is probably not too adventurous of foods, it just was worded that way. Now I just hope we can get in to some of these places!

I think my decision now might lie between Whispering Canyon and Maya Grill. I really want to give Maya Grill a chance, but the reviews (and there are not many!) are sort of making me second guess.
My family has never been hugely critical of food, so maybe it just depends on the person as well.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Just checked and Le Cellier is sold out. :( Total bummer!
My travel agent can check lunch but I don't really think I want to use a table service for lunch.

gwhb75

Have you tried 'Ohana? I notice that isn't on your list. My family (DW, DD (9) and DS (7) and myself all love it). You may also want to consider skipping the signature dining and doing an additional table service instead (we've done the Royal Table and Hoop-Dee-Doo in the past two years. This year we opted to skip the 2 table service meals and instead try some other places we haven't been to).

Our kids loved Whispering Canyon. It's a lot of fun, but it is a bit loud. Depends what you like I guess.

1900 Park Fare was OK. Not my favorite place, but a pretty good selection. Is your picky eater an adult or a child? You may want to try Chef Mickeys (character buffet).

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

California Grill
Citricos
Narcoosees

Boma
Coral Reef
Kona Cafe
GF Cafe
Les Chefs de France
Biergarten
Marrakesh
50's Prime Time
Rose and Crown
Cape May Cafe

I've eaten at a lot of these places and i'm a self professed picky eater so this is just my opinion but here goes :)

For Signature experience - Cali Grill - go to see the fireworks if you can. It's a true Disney experience. :) The food is amazing!!! Not strange - steak and green beans is a basic as you can get and it was incredible.

Boma - I found some things to eat - but not much. Probably wouldn't go back - although...the pineapple upside down cheese cake changed my life! :slurp:
Coral Reef - too fishy for me and I have heard mixed reviews

Kona Cafe - trying for the first time and have been told that bfast is the best!

GF Cafe - loads to choose from and great for all eaters! yummy

Les Chefs de France - AWESOME! Again, steak and potatoes - and so tasty!

Biergarten - DON"T DO THIS WITH A PICKY EATER - I went along with it b/c my DH wanted to and I had dessert and rolls. I tried to eat some sausage - but it is all cooked with sauerkraut and I didn't like it - not even the kids mac - n - cheese. It tasted different.

Marrakesh - never been b/c I can't find anything on the menu that I like

50's Prime Time - home cooking (stoffers) so its okay!

Rose and Crown - AWESOME! My DH always gets bangers and mash and they make the shepards pie special for me (since they took it off the dinner menu - it might be back on now though) and the potato leek soup is to die for. Remember, I am picky and would not eat a leek to save my life - but in the potato soup - NOM NOM NOM

Cape May Cafe - for bfast, yes. For dinner - I don't like the seafood boil so I won't go.

1900 Park Fare - terrific - whether for bfast, lunch or dinner - and it's a buffet - so everyone has something to eat

Captain's Grille - haven't tried this place

Le Cellier - delicious!

Maya Grill - I wouldn't go back. I picked at my food.

Whispering Canyon Cafe - went for bfast - did not like the atmosphere at all. food was food but won't go back.

Tutto Italia - I would save my TS and go some where else if you can - food is "okay to blah"

I know you said that the picky eater likes fish - which I don't - but I am a picky eater so I thought this info might help. :wave:

wvdisneyfamily

California Grill
Citricos
Narcoosees

I've never eaten any of these. I think I read once that Citricos is the best kept secret in WDW (other than DVC of course). I suggest the Artist Point. The menu is good for brave and picky eaters. The salmon is incredible, especially if she likes fish. My DH loves the buffalo. The smoky portabello is delicious.

Dinner is better than breakfast. The strawberry soup is great.

This one has gone down hill considerably. Cape May is by far better. I love the clam bake buffet.

Simply wonderful...

I'd like to know about this one myself. The menu looks good sometimes, but it does not other times.

CS is nice, but very convention oriented. Maya Grill has seen much better days. The quality is rapidly declining. This used to be one of our do every trip places. It is one to avoid for now.

The WCC dinner is great. The entertainment is great, too. We do this one every trip.

We are trying this one the next time we go. I love Italian. I have friends who love this place.

Boma
Coral Reef
Kona Cafe
GF Cafe
Les Chefs de France
Biergarten
Marrakesh
50's Prime Time
Rose and Crown
Cape May Cafe

Here is my suggested list.
Artist Point
Tutto Italia
Le Cellier
Whispering Canyon Cafe
1900 Park Fare

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Have you tried 'Ohana? I notice that isn't on your list. My family (DW, DD (9) and DS (7) and myself all love it). You may also want to consider skipping the signature dining and doing an additional table service instead (we've done the Royal Table and Hoop-Dee-Doo in the past two years. This year we opted to skip the 2 table service meals and instead try some other places we haven't been to).

Our kids loved Whispering Canyon. It's a lot of fun, but it is a bit loud. Depends what you like I guess.

1900 Park Fare was OK. Not my favorite place, but a pretty good selection. Is your picky eater an adult or a child? You may want to try Chef Mickeys (character buffet).

I have not tried Ohana, but we did do Kona Cafe and loved it! I thought Ohana was a buffet and I was trying to not do as many buffets if possible. I have heard great things about it as well. I am seriously thinking about adding another night to our trip just because I want to go somewhere else!!! :)

Thanks for the review of WCC - I was not sure - but booked a reservation there. Glad I did now, it seems I am hearing mostly good things.

I did want to do 6 meals instead of 5, but we have never been to a signature restaurant and probably will never be able to afford to pay for one. So I thought I would use this chance to do one. Last year I did all one credit locations. So I am kind of with you on the doing more meals thing, but my mom really wants to go to California Grill. Now I want to add another night, but it is getting pricey as it is.

The picky eater is an adult.

disneygirl76 said:
I've eaten at a lot of these places and i'm a self professed picky eater so this is just my opinion but here goes :)

For Signature experience - Cali Grill - go to see the fireworks if you can. It's a true Disney experience. :) The food is amazing!!! Not strange - steak and green beans is a basic as you can get and it was incredible.

Boma - I found some things to eat - but not much. Probably wouldn't go back - although...the pineapple upside down cheese cake changed my life! :slurp:
Coral Reef - too fishy for me and I have heard mixed reviews

Kona Cafe - trying for the first time and have been told that bfast is the best!

GF Cafe - loads to choose from and great for all eaters! yummy

Les Chefs de France - AWESOME! Again, steak and potatoes - and so tasty!

Biergarten - DON"T DO THIS WITH A PICKY EATER - I went along with it b/c my DH wanted to and I had dessert and rolls. I tried to eat some sausage - but it is all cooked with sauerkraut and I didn't like it - not even the kids mac - n - cheese. It tasted different.

Marrakesh - never been b/c I can't find anything on the menu that I like

50's Prime Time - home cooking (stoffers) so its okay!

Rose and Crown - AWESOME! My DH always gets bangers and mash and they make the shepards pie special for me (since they took it off the dinner menu - it might be back on now though) and the potato leek soup is to die for. Remember, I am picky and would not eat a leek to save my life - but in the potato soup - NOM NOM NOM

Cape May Cafe - for bfast, yes. For dinner - I don't like the seafood boil so I won't go.

1900 Park Fare - terrific - whether for bfast, lunch or dinner - and it's a buffet - so everyone has something to eat

Captain's Grille - haven't tried this place

Le Cellier - delicious!

Maya Grill - I wouldn't go back. I picked at my food.

Whispering Canyon Cafe - went for bfast - did not like the atmosphere at all. food was food but won't go back.

Tutto Italia - I would save my TS and go some where else if you can - food is "okay to blah"

I know you said that the picky eater likes fish - which I don't - but I am a picky eater so I thought this info might help. :wave:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I do get worried that my cousin won't like things and I don't want her experience to be ruined. Glad to see that you loved the California Grill. We definitely want to try this one.

I feel the same about Boma. Although last year I had some bouts with heat stroke and was sick to my stomach for most of the trip. I wanted to love Boma because I had heard such great things but things were just not tasting right to me that night. I am sure I would have liked it normally, but that kind of ruined it for me.

You will love Kona, it was one of my favorites last year.

Thanks for the other advice. It was very helpful. These decisions are so tough. Especially when you don't have many days to work with.

wvdisneyfamily said:
I've never eaten any of these. I think I read once that Citricos is the best kept secret in WDW (other than DVC of course). I suggest the Artist Point. The menu is good for brave and picky eaters. The salmon is incredible, especially if she likes fish. My DH loves the buffalo. The smoky portabello is delicious.

I did not even think about this one. I will have to look into it. Have never been to that resort either so it would be a nice experience.

wvdisneyfamily said:
I'd like to know about this one myself. The menu looks good sometimes, but it does not other times.

CS is nice, but very convention oriented. Maya Grill has seen much better days. The quality is rapidly declining. This used to be one of our do every trip places. It is one to avoid for now.

The WCC dinner is great. The entertainment is great, too. We do this one every trip.

Glad to hear the great reviews of WCC.
I also would love to hear more about the Turf Club. The pictures on WDW's site looked nice and the menu also looked good. But I don't hear too much about it ever.
Thanks for answering about Maya Grill. I have taken it off my list. I really wanted to give it a chance, but I hear far too much bad.

Lucky

We like 'Ohana much better than WCC. But WCC isn't bad, and if you haven't visited WL I'd choose that over Maya Grill, if you're looking for an excuse to visit a new resort. CS is beautiful, but spread out, and the lobby isn't the least bit interesting, compared to WL.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
We like 'Ohana much better than WCC. But WCC isn't bad, and if you haven't visited WL I'd choose that over Maya Grill, if you're looking for an excuse to visit a new resort. CS is beautiful, but spread out, and the lobby isn't the least bit interesting, compared to WL.

That's what I was wondering. I really wanted to experience a new resort which is why I wanted to plan a meal there. I appreciate the feedback on CS. We will definitely choose WL over that.

ThinkTink721

1900 Park Fare - characters are alot of fun (stepmother & stepsisters from Cinderella)

LeCellier - nice atmosphere & good food

Whispering Canyon - great food & entertaining

*Ohana's for dinner is my favorite! :slurp:

Lbg206

I REALLY want to do Califonia Grill as well, but I am an EXTREMELY picky eater, I'm guessing way worse than the member of your party and sadly there is nothing there I would even consider touching, but I'm still dying to go. The only suggestions I can give you is that they will let you order off the kids' menu, but you'd have to use an adult meal credit assuming she's over the child age for meals. If she isn't too embaressed about doing this then that's an option. Also what I'm considering is going on a day when we're already had some bigger meals and just ordering dessert and drinks or something. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you, but just wanted to let you know I'm in your same boat. I hope it all works out for you. And if you do end up going please let me know how your picky eater likes it and what they ordered. Have a great trip!!

DisneyGirl11

I would definitely go to the California Grill! Also, I think Maya Grill was very good. It's been about 2 years since I've been, but I remember that we liked it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom