Planet Hollywood unveils redesign for Disney Springs

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not so sure about that. It definitely looks bigger than the current tower.

It does look a little bigger in the art, but that just might be the way the art was drawn. Since it looks like they are cutting back I doubt they would take down the tower to build an almost identical one that was a little taller.

tour_img-252406-90.jpg

phi2134

The new concept art has the tower feeling a lot more "electrical" or like a radio broadcating tower. Even though I like the original design more, this design is still ok. More disappointed by the changes to the buidling in front without the dome and the tower not being walled off now. The store in front looks like it will have less windows which might help the theme of a little bit instead of showing off tons of tshirts and coffee mugs.

WhatJaneSays

Summer 2016? I thought it was closed until November?
I think the estimated turnover was 6 months ... so hopefully sometime late July it will be open. (Personally I think it could be a bit of a push unless they quadruple checked every infrastructure part before they closed.)

MerlinTheGoat

Definite downgrade from the previous art, and no doubt an attempt to cut costs and reuse the existing tower instead of spending money on the more intricate design of the original concept art (the brick room at the bottom with the circular window is also no longer there). Scale is rarely accurate in these sorts of renders, and i'm sure they're just reusing what was there already.

The half circle windows along the side of the building are also gone from the newer art as well. Dome over the entrance is also missing...

Next Big Thing

The half circle windows along the side of the building are also gone from the newer art as well. Dome over the entrance is also missing...
This is actually what I disliked most about the new art. The front looks so bare now without those windows. I can do without a patio area which doesn't serve much of a purpose other than to look cool, but those windows really added curbside appeal in the art.

Maybe they'll come back, but i'm not gonna hold out hope.

dstrawn9889

This looks like they started to build a bridge and just stopped midway and threw plants on it. Silly looking..
you say that now, but during a downpour or really scorching days you will thank them for the shade (that is what they are there for anyway, well, that and to show there used to be 'elevated' tracks coming to the springs bottling plant)

Rob562

It looks like many things were removed from the scope including the dome on the entry...

Also looks like they dropped the dome from the entrance structure.

There also appears to be a glass dome on the roof of the one structure that is now missing.

Dome over the entrance is also missing...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think there's some kind of a dome missing in the new concept art... ;)

-Rob

toolsnspools

If that white structure in the back to the left is the outdoor dining terrace, it looks like it may have stayed, though!
The latest Disney FILES magazine confirms that the outdoor terrace will be staying - "... taking on the look of a converted observatory while also adding live entertainment and an outdoor terrace bar called Stargazers. The new Planet Hollywood Observatory is scheduled to open this summer."

djkidkaz

The latest Disney FILES magazine confirms that the outdoor terrace will be staying - "... taking on the look of a converted observatory while also adding live entertainment and an outdoor terrace bar called Stargazers. The new Planet Hollywood Observatory is scheduled to open this summer."

Magazine? It could have been printed and be old information.

toolsnspools

Magazine? It could have been printed and be old information.
LOL. You're right I suppose. The Spring 2016 edition of the Disney Magazine may have bad info in it. There is a disclaimer inside the front cover (I kid you not):

"Information in this magazine is subject to change without notice. Discontinue reading if a rash occurs."

Next Big Thing

LOL. You're right I suppose. The Spring 2016 edition of the Disney Magazine may have bad info in it. There is a disclaimer inside the front cover (I kid you not):

"Information in this magazine is subject to change without notice. Discontinue reading if a rash occurs."
I just got my copy of the magezine this past week, i'll try and see if there's a date of when it was printed.

FigmentForver96

Photo update as of Tuesday, March 8. The Planet Hollywood signage has been removed from the tower ball and the main building. The backside of the building has been opened up, facing Disney Springs.

View attachment 133606
Ahh we were at Disney Springs at the same time and didn't even know it. Stopped by today before heading home and more of the globe on top has been removed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom