PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

Magenta Panther

It would be surprising to me if they did, just because it seems like the Muppet TV show isn't quite the success hoped for? (Though I haven't heard anything in a while - could be wrong)l

As it happens, you're right. The show's a flop. ABC/Disney is pushing it hard, but to no avail. It even ran a marathon of episodes over the holidays (Muppets at Christmas!) but it tanked big time. A retooling is in the cards, but it's unlikely the viewers that left will ever return. Not only was the show (apparently) bad, but its more "adult" approach alienated a lot of families (and not just the Million Moms or whatever that bunch call themselves). If the retooling doesn't work, that show is done.

Disneyhead'71

The muppets lend themselves more to an interactive experience/show than a ride so there's only so much they can do. They have done a bit in the entertainment arena, and they've been a good money maker up until this pilot season of the Muppets, which took it in all the wrong directions and has been criticized heavily. A new film for the attraction here is well in order, I'd like to see them keep some of the best clips done by Jim himself just as a nod back to the man who took puppetry to the next level.

I can see Pizza Planet being re-themed to Muppets with interactive elements throughout. They have to be careful though, as an animatronic frog popping his head out of the wall near people eating might make someone choke :)
There has never been an IP more tailor made for an AA laden dark ride. Muppet AAs is a no brainer.

roj2323

As it happens, you're right. The show's a flop. ABC/Disney is pushing it hard, but to no avail. It even ran a marathon of episodes over the holidays (Muppets at Christmas!) but it tanked big time. A retooling is in the cards, but it's unlikely the viewers that left will ever return. Not only was the show (apparently) bad, but its more "adult" approach alienated a lot of families (and not just the Million Moms or whatever that bunch call themselves). If the retooling doesn't work, that show is done.

I can't say I'm surprised. I really really wanted to like the show but it's like the writers actively wanted me to hate it. "The Office" style humor just does not work for the muppets which was meant to be more of a light hearted slapstick group of characters. I have no issues with side stories like the new love interests and stuff "outside" of work but the tv show needs to return to it's "The muppet show" roots.

DisneyGentleman

I can't say I'm surprised. I really really wanted to like the show but it's like the writers actively wanted me to hate it. "The Office" style humor just does not work for the muppets which was meant to be more of a light hearted slapstick group of characters. I have no issues with side stories like the new love interests and stuff "outside" of work but the tv show needs to return to it's "The muppet show" roots.
Right on target!

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
The show wasn't terribly bad but it definitely was too adult for what the Muppets had established. Odd choice. Regardless, the characters are more iconic than this particular show.

raymusiccity

Ooooo, I like you. The sarcasm is strong in this one.

image.jpeg

Haymarket2008

wondering this as well, we enjoy it there so much but its right in the area where so much change is coming.

People have previously said that it is more than likely on the way out. Maybe they are waiting for Pizza Planet's retheme to be completed before they go ahead with their plans for Melrose?

the-reason14

A little off topic but what was in pizza planet before it became pizza planet? Was it just a random arcade? I was just curious because the top of the building says metropolitan something so I was wondering.

TabulaRasa

Also in regards to the show, it's slipping ratings is definitely a cause for concern, and it obviously demonstrates that something is off with the premise. That being said, I do enjoy it, and think the humour is on point. The last few episodes (especially the Gonzo centric episode) were really excellent...I'd like to see future episodes take on a similar tone.

I think ultimately, we will see a Season 2 regardless. It's in-house (ABC owned), is still the highest rated new comedy, the most sold new show to international markets, and has the largest social media following of freshmen series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom