Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

RSoxNo1

Anyway, I would be completely thrilled with a Coco overlay. The movie is dripping with tradition and culture, something Donald and co. don't quite get across.
I'm in agreement there. Coco is a far more relevant IP to the Mexico Pavilion than the Three Caballeros. I will however miss the finale song.

As for my "problems" with the movie. They're my problems, not necessarily problems with the movie. If other people connected with the characters and the emotion of the movie but I didn't, that's on me. I just found some things a bit predictable so with that comes an anticipation of an emotional scene. When you anticipate something like that it takes away some of it's power.

disneygeek90

I'm in agreement there. Coco is a far more relevant IP to the Mexico Pavilion than the Three Caballeros. I will however miss the finale song.

As for my "problems" with the movie. They're my problems, not necessarily problems with the movie. If other people connected with the characters and the emotion of the movie but I didn't, that's on me. I just found some things a bit predictable so with that comes an anticipation of an emotional scene. When you anticipate something like that it takes away some of it's power.
I had a feeling I knew what was going to happen at the end... and I think that made me cry more, lol.

RSoxNo1

I had a feeling I knew what was going to happen at the end... and I think that made me cry more, lol.
I went in with significant warning that this was a tear jerker so perhaps I was anticipating it and over thought the plot more than I otherwise would have.

Professortango1

Dory is one of my favorites - a beautiful love story of parents to a child with a disability. One of the best of Pixar IMO,.and better than the original. Bugs life has always been among the "Meh" Pixar films for me, along with either of the Cars sequels.

Ah. Different strokes for different folks. Most people I know found Dory to be a forced sequel which too frequently relied upon the original without strong enough legs to stand on its own. I mean, the worst Pixar is still an enjoyable film. But most I know were disappointed with Dory. The original still holds up pretty well.

Epcot82Guy

We just went to see it last night. We both thought it was wonderful and very heartfelt. While I'm typically in the "no IP invasion" camp, I can see this one working. It's a big gamble, though. If they use the Rivera family to take you on a tour of Mexico (and the Land of the Dead of course) or to highlight traditions of the Day of the Dead with little easter eggs from the film, I'm 100% on board. If they use it as a book report or a silly story (like we accidentally steal something and now have to get "blessings" from the Rivera family), I will be very, very disappointed.

The film showcased Mexican culture very openly and positively. I would hate to see them try to shoehorn a story into the pavilion when the setting (Mexico) can and should be the star.

Keeping my fingers crossed, though!!!

Haymarket2008

Just saw the film and thought it was lovely. Another Pixar winner. I do have to say.....despite my adoration of The Three Caballeros, the travelogue vibe, and the structure and memories of El Rio del Tiempo.......this is probably the better IP to use. The emphasis would entirely be on the holiday as opposed to "Mexico", I would think. Whether that is a bad thing, I don't know, since Coco is inherently Mexican. But there is potential for a fantastic boat ride here. And the "on the way to the concert" story line could be utilized again effectively!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We just went to see it last night. We both thought it was wonderful and very heartfelt. While I'm typically in the "no IP invasion" camp, I can see this one working. It's a big gamble, though. If they use the Rivera family to take you on a tour of Mexico (and the Land of the Dead of course) or to highlight traditions of the Day of the Dead with little easter eggs from the film, I'm 100% on board. If they use it as a book report or a silly story (like we accidentally steal something and now have to get "blessings" from the Rivera family), I will be very, very disappointed.

The film showcased Mexican culture very openly and positively. I would hate to see them try to shoehorn a story into the pavilion when the setting (Mexico) can and should be the star.

Keeping my fingers crossed, though!!!

I'd be happy with no or barely a story (a fine Rio del Tiempo / Gran Fiesta tradition). Just scene after scene of Los Días de los Muertos partying both in the lands of the living and the dead.

IaSW doesn't have a story and it's a fine ride... except for the ceiling... and using animals in place of people for Africa and Australia... and the lack of diverse orchestration for the song...

Epcot82Guy

I'd be happy with no or barely a story (a fine Rio del Tiempo / Gran Fiesta tradition). Just scene after scene of Los Días de los Muertos partying both in the lands of the living and the dead.

IaSW doesn't have a story and it's a fine ride... except for the ceiling... and using animals in place of people for Africa and Australia... and the lack of diverse orchestration for the song...

Agreed . It's much how I feel about Pirates. I would much prefer to have one Jack, one Elizabeth, one Will, one Barbossa, etc. where the action was happening at once. As is, it feels like a film short rather than stepping into a scene unfolding around you. The second has far more re-ride in my view (plus the ability to plus or add ala Mansion).

NearTheEars

FYI, I didn't dislike the movie but my response to my wife after walking out was, "meh".

Amazing how people can see the same thing and come away with completely different feelings. And hey, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that!

We just got back from seeing it, and all I can say is WOW. It was beautiful. I’m definitely not a crier, but it seemed like many folks throughout the theater were on a bit of an emotional roller coaster.

I really do love the current finale of the ride, but would welcome a well-done Coco overlay.

Last edited:

britain

Is there any chance that the success of the film will warrant a more substantial change to El Rio, rather than just an overlay? (A more substantial change being a change in route layout, for example.) @marni1971?

PizzaPlanet

Coco more than deserves to replace the Gran Fiesta Tour, although it will be a shame to see it close so shortly after being plussed. The AAs should have been added to the ride way earlier than they were. My biggest concern with this overlay is that it will just be a simple screen swap which would be a massive waste of potential. I swear if the storyline is "Where's Dante?"...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom