Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

aw14

That will be a brand new ride for WDW though, with the potential to draw people into the park. An overlay on Gran Fiesta doesn't have that same potential IMO.
Potentially, depending on how they redo the que and the layout. Coco could draw some folks in, so that entire que area will need to be redone to accommodate.

I don't mind the Coco change, as I hated the move away from the educational Mexico to the 3 Caballeros.

peter11435

That will be a brand new ride for WDW though, with the potential to draw people into the park. An overlay on Gran Fiesta doesn't have that same potential IMO.
If marketed properly a Coco overlay could be just as much of a draw regardless of it being a new ride or an overlay.

Gran Fiesta was itself an overlay. How much did the Three Caballeros make at the box office?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Right. I was just talking about WDW and Frozen

I can't see them spending the money on a overlay for Coco based on the box office.

Couple of points here. First, there's the demographic appeal. The movie did extremely well in Mexico. A Coco overlay in WS could potentially draw tourists from Mexico, and of Mexican heritage, along with other fans of the movie.

Second, not every attraction has to be a gate draw. A good C ticket attraction could serve to take pressure off some of the E tickets. A reasonably popular Coco C ticket could conceivably draw more guests than the current ride, and take pressure off of FEA specifically since it's in the same area.

Sir_Cliff

Couple of points here. First, there's the demographic appeal. The movie did extremely well in Mexico. A Coco overlay in WS could potentially draw tourists from Mexico, and of Mexican heritage, along with other fans of the movie.
Precisely. If the movie is particularly beloved by a significant demographic, that probably counts for more than box office receipts in terms of whether it draws people to the park and inspires them to purchase all the associated merchandise. Early signs are that it has really hit a chord with Mexicans and people of Mexican descent... as well as the Chinese, it appears!

Moreover, the film is on track to be very successful. It should gross north of $200 million in America and much more abroad. All this considered, I don't get why anyone would imagine a Coco ride would spark less interest than a Ratatouille one. Particularly considering the Ratatouille ride will appear about 10 years after the film.

Lets Respect

Potentially, depending on how they redo the que and the layout. Coco could draw some folks in, so that entire que area will need to be redone to accommodate.

I don't mind the Coco change, as I hated the move away from the educational Mexico to the 3 Caballeros.

I don't mind the Coco change either, I think it would be cute and the ride could use a refresh. I just don't think they are going to do it right now based on the box office

Lets Respect

DlIJFpr.jpg

JBIRDTO

That isn't entirely true, Frozen is getting a land Hong Kong Disneyland, possibly the Frozen land for DisneySea is back in the table for the upcoming expansions, and there are rumors of Frozen coming to Disneyland... As for Coco, I find it hard to believe that in the Gran Fiesta Tour overlay/overhaul isn't happening based on the success the movie has...
Garbage a bit harsh. With the exception of the location argument it is pretty well done. Queue is good and most guests seems to like it which is what matters in the end.

Sir_Cliff

Coco has yet to even open in most major international markets. Importantly, two that it has - China and Mexico (which isn’t even that major most of the time) is going gangbusters.
As far as I know, it's done very well everywhere it's opened so far:
“Coco” scored first-place launches in France, Germany and Spain this weekend, led by $6.4 million in France (including previews), more than double the openings of both “Wreck-It Ralph” and “Big Hero 6.” Spain opened with $2.8 million, ahead of “Moana” and “Big Hero 6” and Germany launched with $2 million.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/coco-international-box-office-justice-league-1202629218/

It also dropped 45.8% in its second weekend in the US compared to Moana's 50.1% and Frozen's 53.1%. So, who knows how it will go over the holiday season. Either way, it's a hit.

DisneyFan18

Based on that arbitrary time point Brave was the biggest movie ever, not Frozen.

Coco has yet to even open in most major international markets. Importantly, two that it has - China and Mexico (which isn’t even that major most of the time) is going gangbusters.

Anyways, this is a plan that is happening at this juncture.
And it has been having better drops than most movies in their second weekend, for example while Coco had a -45.8% drop, Moana had a -50.1% and Frozen a -53.1%.

Lets Respect

Based on that arbitrary time point Brave was the biggest movie ever, not Frozen.

Anyways, this is a plan that is happening at this juncture.

Is happening? For sure 100%? Oh ok

Domestic matters for a U.S park. The other thing that matters is merchandise opportunities, of which Coco is weak

Anyway, just my opinion. Shrug.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom