Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because as is the Grand Fiesta tour isn't selling anyone on a Disney vacation nor a visit to Epcot. Changing the attraction to Coco however would be cheaper than building a new ride which is RIGHT up TDO's alley. It would infuse the pavilion with an IP that could sell more merch (as again there is 0 to none for the caballero's in the pavilion) which is also in their m.o. Long story short Coco over taking the caballero's works on every level. A no brainer if you would.

Do you honestly think any one ride could sell a vacation anymore? It's too expensive now...we crossed the rubicon on that concept. That was the Tatum/Walker/Eisner reality.

I do agree that coco is a much better cultural fit than caballeros...so I like the idea.

But it wouldn't be a high priority for me - cause I'm sure I'd run things eventually - i would be really eager to get a pavillion back in imagination...
...after the proposed changes announced this year that is still the biggest hole in the lineup.

I've always preached - cause it's true - that the product is everything. That's where the profits are made and why it's an operational gold mine.

But the product has sucked for going on 20 years...and I'm not sure gift shops dictate moves as much as they used to.

How much coco crap are you gonna sell?
To the American market? Not much...because most of the wdw core demographics will have a short attention span for this property...no matter how good it is...and I'm itching to see it this weekend.

bcoachable

Went to see this with the family Wednesday evening.
Would recommend it for all the above reasons mentioned. Story is great, Characters are great, soundtrack is great. The animation is unbelievably great. The hair on those characters (esp the braids on Coco, how did they make them look so real?), the water in the pit, the flowers on the bridge, the lights of the city....
My next dog will be named Dante! What a fun way to present some comic relief.
I am excited to see what 75 "bones" can do for the pavilion! Don't waste the Dia, WDI! Get crackin' on this overlay!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Glad to hear you liked it, I’m curious, did your kids liked it?
Yes, they both liked it a lot! They are 6 and 8. I didn't feel it was too dark or morbid at all. They laughed a lot and were engaged the whole time. They really enjoyed the music and I heard my son humming "Remeber Me" as we were walking around the mall after. my son was fascinated by the alebrijes. Those, of course, would look amazing in a black light ride.

the.dreamfinder

Saw it tonight, loved it. Don’t think it should be a full time ride though. Perhaps a seasonal overlay like Haunted Mansion Holiday around Dia de Los Muertos would be better. It’s always been a heavily media based attraction and you can do a ton of stuff with projection mapping onto the existing sets.

More thoughts later.

Sped2424

Saw it tonight, loved it. Don’t think it should be a full time ride though. Perhaps a seasonal overlay like Haunted Mansion Holiday around Dia de Los Muertos would be better. It’s always been a heavily media based attraction and you can do a ton of stuff with projection mapping onto the existing sets.

More thoughts later.
Couldn't disagree with you more on the attraction. Im sorry but this deserves to be the focal point over anything the gran fiesta tour has to offer. This is a film about mexican tradition and it's people made by latinos and heavily loved in it's country of inspiration. Coco in a rare instance belongs at the pavilion more so than any ip tie in I have seen.

seabreezept813

I saw Coco last night and I thought it was outstanding - definitely ranks amongst Pixar’s best for me (for what it’s worth, I have no Mexican ancestry).

My brother and I were literally the only people in the theater, though, which can’t be the best sign for the movie’s U.S. box office prospects. Or maybe we just got lucky?

This was also my experience (empty theater). I loved it.. and my family enjoyed it. For someone who doesn’t know much about day of the dead (my husband)—he really liked it, but kept saying that it was so different. I think for people who don’t know much about this tradition, it might take a few viewings to truly appreciate or it might just not resonate quite as strongly. I personally thought it was beautiful and appreciated the fact that it didn’t seem like a cash grab and more just like art. Of course that’s probably why we got stuck with the forever and ever frozen short.

the.dreamfinder

Couldn't disagree with you more on the attraction. Im sorry but this deserves to be the focal point over anything the gran fiesta tour has to offer. This is a film about mexican tradition and it's people made by latinos and heavily loved in it's country of inspiration. Coco in a rare instance belongs at the pavilion more so than any ip tie in I have seen.
But isn’t it a bit reductionist to have a single IP inspired by a single aspect of a culture subsume it?

Not saying a Coco ride wouldn’t be an improvement over Gran Fiesta, but it would be ignoring A LOT compared to El Rio Del Tiempo.

Sped2424

But isn’t it a bit reductionist to have a single IP inspired by a single aspect of a culture subsume it?

Not saying a Coco ride wouldn’t be an improvement over Gran Fiesta, but it would be ignoring A LOT compared to El Rio Del Tiempo.
Not reductionist in the slightest. As it is El rio del tiempo is never coming back so to even compare this to that over which deserves the spot more is a waste of time. What we have is Gran Fiesta and as it stands Grand Fiesta offers nothing of real value when it comes to Mexican Culture for people visiting Epcot. Coco unlike the latter focuses on a real mexican holiday and how those things tie into ideas of family, art, and being an individual. I am not saying you are going to walk out having learned about mexico in full in any way shape or form (the same obviously holds true for rio). But you are going to walk out and having been immersed in a real culture and holiday (Much like Rio, nothing like Fiesta).

spacemt354

Chili's
Didn't know much about it going in and loved it. Easily top 5 on the Pixar ranks for me!

And completely agree that Coco fits perfectly in the Mexico Pavilion. It was exactly what i was thinking as the movie progressed. It could be a bridge between cultural edutainment and mainstream popularity for an attraction that the pavilion really deserves.

bcoachable

I think the movie is very educational when it comes to traditions and the Mexican Culture. Perfect fit for what EPCOT was meant to be.
One problem I always had with some of the pavilions in WS was that they were just fronts for shopping... I wanted to learn about the country behind the front. Coco overlay has the opportunity to do this for Mexico, much like the Canada film or the France film does. Gran Fiesta never touched this for me (except to make me want to go find a vacation location that I could cliff dive).

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think the movie is very educational when it comes to traditions and the Mexican Culture. Perfect fit for what EPCOT was meant to be.
One problem I always had with some of the pavilions in WS was that they were just fronts for shopping... I wanted to learn about the country behind the front. Coco overlay has the opportunity to do this for Mexico,
Do we know that the Coco attraction will have any emphasis on "learning"? I would bet that when the attraction is finished there will be more to "learn" about the culture in the pavilion shopping area than the attraction. Same as Noway pavilion w/ FEA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom