Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Aveku

I really do hope Coco is a success with American audiences! As a Mexican I’m extremely proud of Disney for making such an accurate, beautiful movie about my culture.

I do hope that the ride stays the same just for a little while, but nothing would make me more happy than seeing Miguel and company in the Mexico Pavilion.

Sir_Cliff

I saw Coco last night and I thought it was outstanding - definitely ranks amongst Pixar’s best for me (for what it’s worth, I have no Mexican ancestry).

My brother and I were literally the only people in the theater, though, which can’t be the best sign for the movie’s U.S. box office prospects. Or maybe we just got lucky?
It seems to be going well, and better than expectations. Word of mouth also looks to be exceptionally strong:

"Moviegoers love Coco: The Disney film earned an A+ CinemaScore last night, Pixar’s 6th ever, and the best since Up. On top of that, Coco came in much higher on its first day with an estimated $13.3M; which is behind Thanksgiving openers Moana ($15.5M) and Frozen ($15.1M) and ahead of Good Dinosaur ($9.76m) and Tangled ($11.9M). Currently, the Lee Unkrich-Adrian Molina film should hit $70M-plus in five days, and $47M over three days. But given how wild Black Friday is at the box office, and the current buzz for the film, Coco could conceivably go much higher."

http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-justice-league-wonder-thanksgiving-box-office-1202213755/

Also:

"“Coco” should finish above $70 million at 3,958 North American locations in its first five days while “Justice League” will wind up around $60 million at 4,051 sites. “Coco” is performing significantly above pre-release forecasts, which had been in the $55 million to $60 million range."
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/coco-box-office-thanksgiving-justice-league-1202622395/

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WRT to critical evaluation:

If you average the Rotten Tomato's critics score (not the 'fresh/not-fresh' score) with the Metacritic score, Coco is at 81 (out of 100).

That's better then every single MCU movie (Iron Man - 78 / GotG - 77 / Civil War - 76). Which is really good.

However, if you grade it on the Pixar curve... it's just average. It ranks 10 of the 19 Pixar movies. And the next closest is a score of 87!

upload_2017-11-23_22-36-31.png

DisneyFan18

If you average the Rotten Tomato's critics score (not the 'fresh/not-fresh' score) with the Metacritic score, Coco is at 81 (out of 100).

That's better then every single MCU movie (Iron Man - 78 / GotG - 77 / Civil War - 76). Which is really good.

However, if you grade it on the Pixar curve... it's just average. It ranks 10 of the 19 Pixar movies. And the next closest is a score of 87!

View attachment 246258
@MisterPenguin are you planning on watching Coco? :D

WDW1974

@WDW1974, sorry to bother you, but I wanted to know if you have seen Coco, and if so what were your thoughts on it? As I remember that you were concerned on it not being a good movie. Personally, I really liked it, and consider it one of my favorite Pixar films, however I might be a little biased as I am Mexican, therefore I would appreciate your opinion! :)

No bother. It's weird because this is a thread I have largely ignored and just opened it up to the last page and saw your post.

Everyone I know who has seen Coco absolutely loves it. I will see it after the holiday weekend madness wears off and vacationers are back to school and work.

It also sure seems like a much better fit for the Mexico pavilion than the cheap overlay it currently has. I may not be able to post thoughts here after I see it, but feel free to drop me a PM next week if I don't.

DisneyFan18

No bother. It's weird because this is a thread I have largely ignored and just opened it up to the last page and saw your post.

Everyone I know who has seen Coco absolutely loves it. I will see it after the holiday weekend madness wears off and vacationers are back to school and work.

It also sure seems like a much better fit for the Mexico pavilion than the cheap overlay it currently has. I may not be able to post thoughts here after I see it, but feel free to drop me a PM next week if I don't.
Thanks for answering, I’m glad to hear that the people you talked to loved it. I really hope that enjoy it as well, I’ll pm you by next week then :) And I also agree about it being a better fit for the Mexican Pavilion, hopefully it gets greenlit :D

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
What are your thoughts? Would love to hear them! :)

It was fantastic. I hope this is the stepping stone for Pixar to go full musical. The music was beautiful. I love the care that went into respecting and building on a culture that is 'foreign' to 'Americans.' The bait-and-switch in the storytelling worked not only with the characters involved, but even more so with what one thought was going to be the message of the film.

And given the black-eye the Pixar corporate culture just got, it's nice to see a success from a producer who's a woman, and a screenplay co-written by a Latino gay man.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney investing in another superficial redo of the Epcot boat ride doesn't make too much sense.

They are - of course - putting characters all over that park...against better judgement...but this seems premature.

Or cheaply done...which doesn't make a lot of sense since it was "recently" redone.

There are still two rotting pavilions not planned to be addressed at current time. What's it gonna take?

DisneyFan18

Disney investing in another superficial redo of the Epcot boat ride doesn't make too much sense.

They are - of course - putting characters all over that park...against better judgement...but this seems premature.

Or cheaply done...which doesn't make a lot of sense since it was "recently" redone.

There are still two rotting pavilions not planned to be addressed at current time. What's it gonna take?
Well... according to @marni1971 the budget for this attraction is 75 million, I wouldn’t call it cheap, and as a Mexican, I feel this is an IP that actually fits both World Showcase and the Mexican Pavillion, as it represents and celebrates one of our most important traditions in the most respectful way possible

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well... according to @marni1971 the budget for this attraction is 75 million, I wouldn’t call it cheap, and as a Mexican, I feel this is an IP that actually fits both World Showcase and the Mexican Pavillion, as it represents and celebrates one of our most important traditions in the most respectful way possible

I don't doubt any of that...

But why there with a new IP?

I'm all for it...by the way...just doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd jump on based on their m.o.

Sped2424

View attachment 246258
Top 10 out of 19 films isn't average to me! And reviews will still happen that could affect the score albeit nothing to change it that much. I also think there is a bit of a cultural barrier that could limit this film critically sadly enough which those other films don't really have to contend with in the same way. TO me this is above toys 2, on par with Toys 3 and Up and Rat but just below Walle.

Sped2424

I don't doubt any of that...

But why there with a new IP?

I'm all for it...by the way...just doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd jump on based on their m.o.
Because as is the Grand Fiesta tour isn't selling anyone on a Disney vacation nor a visit to Epcot. Changing the attraction to Coco however would be cheaper than building a new ride which is RIGHT up TDO's alley. It would infuse the pavilion with an IP that could sell more merch (as again there is 0 to none for the caballero's in the pavilion) which is also in their m.o. Long story short Coco over taking the caballero's works on every level. A no brainer if you would.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Top 10 out of 19 films isn't average to me!

I did say "if you grade it on the Pixar scale" and then showed data that, for a Pixar movie, it is just average... based on the scale, among all critics that those two sites track. For a Pixar movie, critics are grading it average. They regard nine other Pixar movies as being better... for them.

Compared to all other movies, critics are grading it super above average.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom