Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

bcoachable

We will not be seeing this movie. The topic and content walks far too close to a religious boundary for us. No matter how culturally accurate the movie may be, we don't see any value in seeing. I know others will disagree with this stance but it is a personal decision that we have made.
I know nothing about this movie, except that I am super excited for it because a friend worked very hard on it, and I view these things almost more as art as anything. Would you be willing to elaborate on your stance? I ask respectfully...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm proud that Pixar is releasing a film that explores and honors a culture that people here in the states may not be familiar with. And that is why it is so sad that for that very reason, people will not be seeing it. At least that's one more seat for someone more open-minded.
So people not interested in seeing CoCo are...racist? Is that what you’re driving at?

DisneyFan18

As you may know the Coco soundtrack is out, my recommendation would be to not listen to it until you’ve seen the movie as it contains spoilers.

Also for those worried about how the domestic/international markets would respond to Coco, I’ve read reviews on English and French (as those are the only languages I speak besides very basic German) and the response seems to be quite positive! As of now it has a 95% of approbation at Rotten Tomatoes and an average of 8

And finally, Coco has already become the highest grossing film of this year at Mexico, and it is expected to become the highest grossing movie of all time in Mexico! (For those who didn’t knew, not even Thor was able to defeat Coco last week!)

DisneyFan18

Have a look at at a Miguel puppet at Disneyland Paris, with Dante in the background. And a full look at the Coco sculptures used at DCA for the Coco Preview, they are also using Héctor for it, and he looks so cool, just imagine the rest of them like Imelda and Ernesto! And while unrelated to Disney, here at México you can take photos with a majestic sculpture of Pepita that was lent by Disney, maybe it could come to the parks at some point, but after seeing it I would love a Pepita AA as well (but I guess I might be asking for too much).

(NOTE: The pictures don’t belong to me, I found them in Instagram)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Hi! As promised here is my full review, I had more time to process all the feelings and the movie overall. For those who didn’t knew, I had the chance to watch Coco yesterday at the Morelia International Film Festival, and I consider it to be one of my favorite Pixar Films, and I’m actually planning on watching it again as soon as possible.

The plot is perfectly crafted, in a way that everything is connected, and makes sense. Every single thing has a meaning in the story, and we manage to see the characters grow, and evolve. The Plot Twist is also really good, in all honesty I didn’t saw it coming, as I was actually expecting the story to go in a different way. I actually considered that the trailers really worked hard on throwing us into the wrong directions about so many things and characters. The movie being named Coco, feels natural, as she plays an important role overall, but not the way you might be expecting. The songs are also beautiful, they feel very Mexican, and the way they are incorporated in the movie is brilliant and charming. There are also tons of nods and winks to Mexican figures and culture. The third act is simple perfection, it connects everything so perfectly, and it’s really emotional, there were a few scenes that almost made me cry, and a movie rarely manages to achieve that. I consider the ending scene to be on Pixar’s most powerful and emotional scenes ever, once you watch you’ll understand why.

The villain in the movie, I believe that is very grounded, and is the perfect antagonist for Miguel, as they represent the contrary to what he believes in. Finally, every character has a great arc, my favorite character is between Dante and Mamma Imelda, however Abuelita, Mama Coco, Ernesto de la Cruz, Miguel, Pepita and Héctor are amazing characters as well, every character fits naturally in the story, there’s a surprise character that doesn’t play a really big role, but was a brilliant addition and made me laugh a lot. The only character that I wasn’t sold off that much on is Chicharrón, as I feel that his character could have been more, he only served as a plot explanation per say. And as you’ve seen in the trailers, the animation is pure perfection, the final product is beautiful, there’s a lot of detail, it’s visually stunning.

At the end of the movie everyone in the audience clapped, and I was even able to hear some people sobbing. The movie manages to do what most Pixar movies do, make you laugh and the next moment make you want to cry. Therefore my veredict is that this is another Pixar Masterpiece reminiscent of its Golden Era, it’s definitely worth watching and rewatching, and I would like to hear once again all of the songs, specially Proud Corazón as I was experiencing so many feelings in that scene that I liked that one the most.

If there are any questions I’ll be happy to answer! And my advice is to go to the theaters knowing the least possible!

People were sobbing? I cry at commercials on tv. I'm doomed! Can't wait to see it!

DisneyFan18

People were sobbing? I cry at commercials on tv. I'm doomed! Can't wait to see it!
Definitely, when I went to see it with my best friend (the second time I watched it), she cried a lot, literally I've never seen her cry that much, she told me that it was because it reminded her a lot of her family! And as @Sped2424 said the third act is highly emotional, the last 10 minutes are meant to break you no matter where are you from. Personally I don't see it as a dark movie that kids shouldn't watch as some people have said, actually I think every kid should watch it as it has a lot of beautiful messages.

And for those who aren't very familiar with the Mexican culture it can be very educational. Another reason, why I believe it is a perfect fit for the Mexican pavilion!

DisneyFan18

@marni1971 has Coco been considering for anything beyond the attraction on the Epcot pavilion, like a parade float (just imagine one for the night time parade coming to MK with the cempasúchil petals, it would be so beautiful), as an addition to an updated version of HEA or the updated IllumiNations, or even in any other way to any of the other resorts (attraction, M&G, etc...)?

Magenta Panther

I agree it is a weird thing..And one example I have to go with on this......Is Hanna Barbera's Top Cat..
47157ad034b180daa6c75f4bd2c4b446.png

Now, you may ask why? Certainly of course he wasn't a big character of the Hanna-Barbera family only having 1 season of 30 episodes and occasionally popping up doing cameos in other shows...But, to Mexico....He's big.....I Mean BIG...How Big?
He had two animated films in 3 years apart from each other in Classic 2d & a CG Origin Film..And yes there are English Dubs of these films swimming around...
51lHLzxCBfL.jpg
Top_Cat_Begins_Poster.jpg

Another one comes to mind is Why you don't See or Hardly hear about anything about Universal Studios Main Mascot Woody Woopecker as he's not as popular.......Not to other Countries he's not....As they decided to do a....*Sigh* Live action Yogi Bear route (Oddly directed by the same director) To make a Live action/Animated hybrid Woody Woodpecker Movie....

Ooooh it doesn't end there as Warner Bros also have plans to make........Wait for it....A Speedy Gonzales movie...
http://deadline.com/2016/04/speedy-gonzales-animated-movie-eugenio-derbez-warner-bros-1201730245/

I remember reading about how popular Top Cat is in Mexico. He was a parody of TV comedian Phil Silvers, you know. Never cared for anything Hanna-Barbera ever created myself; it's a mystery to me why Mexicans like T.C. so much. Glad to see that Speedy's getting his try for big-screen glory. Turns out that Mexicans love him and DON'T see him as an offensive caricature, or so I understand. In that vein, I wonder how the French feel about Pepe Le Pew? I'd watch a movie about him, although I guess his hopeless-romantic/stalker persona would have to be toned down a mite - more's the pity...

DisneyFan18

I remember reading about how popular Top Cat is in Mexico. He was a parody of TV comedian Phil Silvers, you know. Never cared for anything Hanna-Barbera ever created myself; it's a mystery to me why Mexicans like T.C. so much. Glad to see that Speedy's getting his try for big-screen glory. Turns out that Mexicans love him and DON'T see him as an offensive caricature, or so I understand. In that vein, I wonder how the French feel about Pepe Le Pew? I'd watch a movie about him, although I guess his hopeless-romantic/stalker persona would have to be toned down a mite - more's the pity...
Funny story, but Top Cat is liked so much in México, at least I why think it is as I’m quite young myself, because before Disney and Cartoon Network became so powerful in México, in Canal 5 of Televisa (the biggest Mexican television chain) they passed a lot the Hannah Barbers cartoons (including Top Cat), and since that was one of the few channels people saw, many Mexicans grew seeing them. I believe the first movie was sort of a relatively big thing here because it brought nostalgia to many people, at least that’s the reason my family wanted to see it, (I also grew watching Hannah Barbera cartoons, but during my youth Disney and Cartoon Network began winning more force, so I had more options on the table per say)

Jeremy Geertsema

Haven't seen any tracking numbers yet, but I'm concerned there will be a few things working against Coco:

- The name doesn't really resonate with the story in any way for domestic audiences.
- The "dead" theme seems completely wrong for the holiday season.
- A good number of folks I've spoken to thought it was a "Book of Life" sequel.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Coco is the name of a very important character in the film.

Also, the "dead" theme is never really in your face. Yes, they are in the Land of the Dead and there are skeletons, but it never feels depressing. The Land of the Dead has been designed in such a colorful way, and the characters are so lively and funny that it never drains on you.

Cmdr_Crimson

Comedian Arnold Stang was the voice of Top Cat who also voiced The Honey Nut Cheerios bee in the 70s and 80s.

Plus if you think that's bad they've also had plans on a Marvin the Martian Christmas movie and a Hong Kong Phooey movie voiced by Eddie Murphy. and we know how bad things can get with Eddie Murphy take the Haunted Mansion for example..
marvin-the-martian-hong-kong-phooey-slice.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 has Coco been considering for anything beyond the attraction on the Epcot pavilion, like a parade float (just imagine one for the night time parade coming to MK with the cempasúchil petals, it would be so beautiful), as an addition to an updated version of HEA or the updated IllumiNations, or even in any other way to any of the other resorts (attraction, M&G, etc...)?
I've only heard of the pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom