Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

disneygeek90

Welcome to every country on earth you mean. Good joke though. We all laughed.
You mean the other countries that are fluent in multiple languages and know more about our own policies than our general population?

Regardless, many Pixar movies takes place in a country, or even world, that is different than our own. The movie looks beautiful and I would hope any Disney fan would support it and go see it.

Last edited:

Chio

The book of life a film set in mexico about day of the dead did not receive or elicit the same response that Coco is getting in mexico. Simply put the praise being sung from there is a huge indicator on the quality of the film. It's not just that it was about mexican culture that is getting the film such praise. As for why disney released it there first there are several factors. The most important one being that day of the dead falls between oct31st and november second so having the film come out there anytime after would seem well insensitive at best.
It

It's not just this film that got released first in Mexico, most movies are released first in Mexico, this is very common. This doesn't have much to do with sensitiveness.

brb1006

I agree it is a weird thing..And one example I have to go with on this......Is Hanna Barbera's Top Cat..
47157ad034b180daa6c75f4bd2c4b446.png

Now, you may ask why? Certainly of course he wasn't a big character of the Hanna-Barbera family only having 1 season of 30 episodes and occasionally popping up doing cameos in other shows...But, to Mexico....He's big.....I Mean BIG...How Big?
He had two animated films in 3 years apart from each other in Classic 2d & a CG Origin Film..And yes there are English Dubs of these films swimming around...
51lHLzxCBfL.jpg
Top_Cat_Begins_Poster.jpg

Another one comes to mind is Why you don't See or Hardly hear about anything about Universal Studios Main Mascot Woody Woopecker as he's not as popular.......Not to other Countries he's not....As they decided to do a....*Sigh* Live action Yogi Bear route (Oddly directed by the same director) To make a Live action/Animated hybrid Woody Woodpecker Movie....

Ooooh it doesn't end there as Warner Bros also have plans to make........Wait for it....A Speedy Gonzales movie...
http://deadline.com/2016/04/speedy-gonzales-animated-movie-eugenio-derbez-warner-bros-1201730245/

Meanwhile the Ilumination film for Woody Woodpecker is still in development hell.

Piebald

I'm truly worried racism and lack of interest in the cultures of others could hurt this film's box office in the U.S.
I desperately hope I'm wrong.
I personally thought Coco was one of the best Pixar movies ever made, and certainly one of the best films of the year. As someone with hispanic parents (although not Mexican-- no we are not all the same) I thought maybe I liked it that much more since some of the jokes and references I got, but to be honest people embrace that as much with Brave, Moana or other films and perhaps the respective groups enjoy it more, but overall the films are universally loved.

The film puts a very warm hearted touch on death, and even thought there is one element of the film I found quite dark for a kids movie, it works. Perhaps that's the other issue at hand....This movie fares much better IMO if you don't see it as at "kids movie" but instead an excellent film that happens to be animated.

ChrisM

Im sorry how does Frozen, Brave, or Tangled have any sort of resonating feel when it comes to the title lol If you watch Coco you will understand why the film is called Coco. As for the "dead" theme" there is no such thing in this film. It's not dead, it's about a boy finding out about why family ties and history are important on Dia de los muertos.

The film is coming out on thanksgiving because that's when animated films tend to do best here in the states. And if a film about family ties and the importance of which coming out during thanksgiving weekend is out of place then I am not sure what kind of film you would want instead? lol As for the Book of life comment most people think PIxar is the main studio for everything animated so no sweat off my back.

Frozen, Brave, and Tangled are pithy titles that have an actual meaning and give a bit of insight, albeit small, into the plot of the movie. Coco has no immediate correlation to the public at large. May as well be named "Fred".

As for my reference to "the dead theme", it certainly does. The Day of the Dead iconography is an odd choice for the domestic holiday season.

Again, I'm not advocating against this film and am sure it will be very successful at the box office. I'm simply bringing up some oddities about it that may create a bit of a headwind.

I do appreciate a post that litters random "lols" throughout it, though. So thanks for that.

disneygeek90

I personally thought Coco was one of the best Pixar movies ever made, and certainly one of the best films of the year. As someone with hispanic parents (although not Mexican-- no we are not all the same) I thought maybe I liked it that much more since some of the jokes and references I got, but to be honest people embrace that as much with Brave, Moana or other films and perhaps the respective groups enjoy it more, but overall the films are universally loved.

The film puts a very warm hearted touch on death, and even thought there is one element of the film I found quite dark for a kids movie, it works. Perhaps that's the other issue at hand....This movie fares much better IMO if you don't see it as at "kids movie" but instead an excellent film that happens to be animated.
Which is, imo, Pixar at it's best.

brb1006

No it's not it was cancelled in 2013 and they made this one instead..
Looks like we won't be seeing Woody Woodpecker making a big comeback anytime soon or for a long time. The last time Woody got any public attention was the Woody Woodpecker show from 1999 and became forgotten as the 2000's arrived at least in the United States.

Doesn't help that the general public of today will only recognize him as the Universal Studios mascot or former since the popularity of Despicable Me with the Minions taking the spotlight.

Last edited:

Sped2424

I hate that films are always released on thanksgiving.. there have been no good family movies out in months and once the holidays hit our weekends are monopolized. Too bad they can’t release them a few weeks early.
I agree I would love variety there :( but I guess they go by when they think the film's sell the most!

Sped2424

It

It's not just this film that got released first in Mexico, most movies are released first in Mexico, this is very common. This doesn't have much to do with sensitiveness.
I get that! But one of the directors himself stated they wanted this out in Mexico first due to the holiday and that was the driving force for that!!

Sir_Cliff

I get that! But one of the directors himself stated they wanted this out in Mexico first due to the holiday and that was the driving force for that!!
It was a smart move. Considering how the holiday has grown in popularity in recent years and people get time off work, it would have been insane to release this movie a few weeks later. Mexico City was full of Día de los Muertos stuff right as this film was released.

It will also now arrive in the American market as a massive hit in Mexico which lends credibility to the cultural authenticity of the whole thing. On that front, I have to say that they did do an incredible job. I'm not Mexican, but as someone who has spent a lot of time there, they really got so much right from the basic detail that different generations are often close in a way that's not so common in the US (or Australia, where I'm from) to subtle touches such as the way the characters dressed. The lead character, Miguel, is also such a winning character that I find it hard to imagine audiences not warming to the film.

The early reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are certainly positive:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/coco_2017/

BrianLo

Yep...No one will ever remember that OTHER Movie about Dia de Los Muertos that came out a few years ago.....
The-Book-of-Life-2014.jpg

This has become the most tired talking point on Coco. More people bring this up than actually saw the movie in theatres. It's not even a temporal Shark Tale/Finding Nemo or Antz/Bugs Life type situation. Nor have we had one movie focused on Christmas and Hollywood called it a wrap, never to be made into a movie again.

Lets Respect

I thought it was more about being who you really want to be than about dying... the dead people and the land of the dead are just plot devices to move the "coming of age" story along...

I don't want to give too much away (I read the junior novelization) but this review touches on the darkness involved. I think it will be something parents of little kids take into account when deciding whether or not to go

"But Coco does have a dark touch by Pixar’s standards, sneaking in a considerably macabre embrace of death—as a looming threat, a plot point, and a source of comedy—right under the skull holes where our noses used to be. Little by little, the film leans deeper into its inclination toward the grisly, reaping the most sinister turn of events to pass muster in a Disney writing room since somebody okayed the idea of Scar framing his preadolescent nephew for axing papa Mufasa."

https://nerdist.com/coco-review-pixar/

Lets Respect

This is well-said. Again I didn't see it but I read the book and I was little shocked at that dark part. But I think you're right, the key is to see it as a film, not a kid's movie.

I don't see a Moana level of success with this because some parents of littles will stay away but that's ok

meyeet

We will not be seeing this movie. The topic and content walks far too close to a religious boundary for us. No matter how culturally accurate the movie may be, we don't see any value in seeing. I know others will disagree with this stance but it is a personal decision that we have made.

FigmentJedi

This has become the most tired talking point on Coco. More people bring this up than actually saw the movie in theatres. It's not even a temporal Shark Tale/Finding Nemo or Antz/Bugs Life type situation. Nor have we had one movie focused on Christmas and Hollywood called it a wrap, never to be made into a movie again.
Its especially tiresome considering how supportive Book of Life director Jorge Gutierrez has been for Coco online.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom