News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

becca_

Good to hear. I'm sure it will be fine in person. I'm disappointed in some things but if I didn't know what was there before it seems fine. Personally I'd have done it differently. I don't really mind the whole chanting for rum, I just wish they handled the scene a little differently. Oh well.

Does the hair look at least red in person? lol That's really bugging me
Lol yes I think so... It's slightly brown but not too brown. I don't remember exactly :hilarious:

AEfx

I agree they squandered an opportunity to re-imagine this into something... ya know? funny... as well as modern, and still be timeless. Had they turned them all into a bunch of rowdy girl pirates, they could have kept a lot of the Auctioneer's dialogue about "brazen wenches" and then let them fire back with guns and/or one-liners

Oh come now...you know that if they had even attempted to do anything whatsoever like that, there would have been massive screams of going too far in terms of PC, pandering, etc.

That's why what they did was rather clever - instead of shouting for women, they are shouting for booze LOL - it is difficult to say that Disney is veering too far into sanitizing things given the choice they made. That's what I'm surprised more people don't get.

disney4life2008

I thought it was well done. I think the Redhead looks awesome, and I'm glad she is no longer being sold to men. I also enjoy that they "kept" the whole "We wants the..." and just changed it to "we wants the rum". I thought it was a positive change & I'm glad it was done. :)

Lol promoting alcohol in a theme park that doesn't sell alcohol? Oh no wait they do at be ou guest.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I think this disappointment not only has diminished the redhead but also (perhaps more importantly) the auctioneer.

He was arguably the coolest character and the most advanced animatronic in the entire attraction. And now ... I guess the bot is still advanced. But he's really into selling chickens now. It's like when a good friend starts selling Amway.
Missed opportunity: turning the Auctioneer into Colonel Sanders.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I gotta say...the new scene is growing on me.

PiratesoftheColonel.jpg

monykalyn

Saw it last week. It is not bad, just different. And yeah I think the hair appears redder in person. It bothered me more that the cannon effect in the ship scene wasn't working at any time we rode it (3 times), nor was the burning smell strong until a wiff at the end.

So-is the new redhead the animatronic Jane from GMR?? Forgive the off topic or if this has been discussed:p

tl77

Oh come now...you know that if they had even attempted to do anything whatsoever like that, there would have been massive screams of going too far in terms of PC, pandering, etc.

That's why what they did was rather clever - instead of shouting for women, they are shouting for booze LOL - it is difficult to say that Disney is veering too far into sanitizing things given the choice they made. That's what I'm surprised more people don't get.
I think if they're going to add "girl pirates" they should be just as rowdy as the "boy pirates", basically everyone should live up to the "Yo ho Pirate's Life for Me" theme song ...just to keep the whole thing being cohesive, how they specifically go about it doesn't matter to me, as long as it's funny and entertaining .

But the "Pirates want booze" joke is else where in the ride and all over the movies. I feel like they're going to do a "new scene" they could have come up with a new gag, and if they're holding on to some aspect of the original dialogue... why the chicken lines? is that something anybody really cared about?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom