News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

999th Happy Haunt

Short film by Disney based on the original scene. It actually successfully reimagined the scene while staying true to what made the original timeless, and, wouldn’t you know it, also manages to make the women empowered without feeling cheesy at any point. Can’t say the same about the new version.

Edit: Also the auctioneer reminds me of Dreamfinder haha

Last edited:

willtravel

Short film by Disney based on the original scene. It actually successfully reimagined the scene while staying true to what made the original timeless, and, wouldn’t you know it, also manages to make the women empowered without feeling cheesy at any point. Can’t say the same about the new version.

Edit: Also the auctioneer reminds me of Dreamfinder haha

Actually, I really like this short film...

KBLovedDisney

That's the thing though; it's not a small change. This is the centerpiece of the attraction. I understand a vocal minority complaining about the content, I do. And I get that maybe Disney wanted to create some distance before too many people from this outrage generation became too vocal. But this is one of the most iconic Disney attractions. The characters and scenes are part of American popular culture. And they went in, and changed everything for the worse. There's no sense of logical narrative to the scene now. The new audio recordings stick out like a sore thumb. This scene was done so haphazardly, so cheaply, that it's offensive.

There was a real opportunity to re-imagine the auction scene. And they squandered it.

And real question here to anyone reading: Has anyone ever actually heard someone complaining about this scene's content before the change was announced?
Nope. My guess is it only took one that ruined the fun.

mikenatcity1

I was right to expect everyone moaning about a small change. these forums >_<

I am usually in the same spot as you...but I don't think this is a small change- regardless of the change, it changes the feel of the ride- a small change was changing some of the dialog in the first scene with the Mayor but keeping everything else intact. This they changes most characters, all dialog and story...

I think what most (including me) are mad about is not the fact they changed it, but HOW they changed it...if it were done correctly, it could have been received much better. Example: TOT in Disneyland- such an uproar when they mentioned GotG...after it opened, a lot of people changed their tune because it was done well.

Scuttle

Sooo...

How long until the ride is changed again? Maybe these "pirates" become upstanding citizens who sailed by a city that had caught fire. They disembark and help rebuild the city, holding buckets of water instead of guns. And they're not drinking rum; it's LeFou's Brew. At the end, the city jails the citizens that originally set the city on fire, and the city gives the pirates an enormous pile of treasure in gratitude.

Heartwarming.
At the rate the PC B.S. is going I give it 10-15 years before the ride is basically unrecognizable. Take away the guns, take away the alcohol, even change the Spanish lady from the window that yells " Carlos don't be chicken" because it's a stereotype of Spanish accents (my Peruvian wife loves that scene). It's ridiculous the rate it's going.

I just don't get why TDO thought it was ok to leave the Wench Bride scene for 20 years after changing the men chasing the women around scene... confused on that one.

Last edited:

mitchk

Some of the greatest imagineers of all time have worked on PoTC. Marc Davis, X Atencio, Blaine Gibson, Claude Coats, Kathy Mangum, etc.

Kathy is far from a legend, unlike the others you mentioned, if anything, Kathy is legendary for subpart attractions, with the exception of cars land. I’m not sure how hands on she was with Splash Mountain, that was Tony’s baby

HMF

Kathy is far from a legend, unlike the others you mentioned, if anything, Kathy is legendary for subpart attractions, with the exception of cars land. I’m not sure how hands on she was with Splash Mountain, that was Tony’s baby
She Show Produced WDW's Version of Splash Mountain. That being said, her focus is supposed to be on DHS so I don't know why she is involved with Pirates. I thought that was under Eric Jacobson's purview

Bender123

I never even heard of her...Based on her track record, I don't think Harriet Burns or Mary Blair have to worry about losing their spots on the mount Rushmore of women imagineers.

matt9112

At this rate the PC B.S. is going I give it 10-15 years before the ride is basically unrecognizable. Take away the guns, take away the alcohol, even change the Spanish lady from the window that yells " Carlos don't be chicken" because it's a stereotype of Spanish accents (my Peruvian wife loves that scene). It's ridiculous the rate it's going.

I just don't get why TDO thought it was ok to leave the Wench Bride scene for 20 years after changing the men chasing the women around scene was changed... confused on that one.

the men used to chase the women? why cant I have this realistic version of the ride not this watered down version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom