News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sooo...

How long until the ride is changed again? Maybe these "pirates" become upstanding citizens who sailed by a city that had caught fire. They disembark and help rebuild the city, holding buckets of water instead of guns. And they're not drinking rum; it's LeFou's Brew. At the end, the city jails the citizens that originally set the city on fire, and the city gives the pirates an enormous pile of treasure in gratitude.

Heartwarming.

Captain Jake Sparrow of the Caribbean!!

Captain Barbossa

It's best to break up the flight by using Hawaii as a stepping stone. Unfortunately, pirates over there is not nearly as popular as in the states.
Well the scene has not been changed over there (hope it stays that way). I will say that I've watched Tokyo's version on YouTube several times I really do enjoy it. The skeletons and the talking scull are in Japanese, but once you reach the mist, everything is in English. The layout is nice too.

tl77

Sooo...

How long until the ride is changed again? Maybe these "pirates" become upstanding citizens who sailed by a city that had caught fire. They disembark and help rebuild the city, holding buckets of water instead of guns. And they're not drinking rum; it's LeFou's Brew. At the end, the city jails the citizens that originally set the city on fire, and the city gives the pirates an enormous pile of treasure in gratitude.

Heartwarming.

Yeah I don't get why the Pirates are "nice" now ...if you went to meet Cinderella's Stepsisters, Anastasia and Drizella, and they we kind and caring it'd be weird, like... "why are you being nice? there's absolutely funny about you two being nice". On a "story/entertainment value" level the new scene just don't work

...but I have a feeling they'll always be pushing rum as long as Bob Iger is in charge, he seems to love finding ways to get booze inside the Magic Kingdom

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
...but I have a feeling they'll always be pushing rum as long as Bob Iger is in charge, he seems to love finding ways to get booze inside the Magic Kingdom

Well Redd is a half-step away from being a Captain Morgan parody. They might as well go full-tilt and have the company sponsor the attraction. They can have it coincide with a Captain Morgan brand relaunch making "Morgan" a lady captain. Win-Win. Sigh.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well Redd is a half-step away from being a Captain Morgan parody. They might as well go full-tilt and have the company sponsor the attraction. They can have it coincide with a Captain Morgan brand relaunch making "Morgan" a lady captain. Win-Win. Sigh.
And maybe we'd finally get the rum-laden dole whip that's so popular and tasty outside MK... ???

BasiltheBatLord

Paul Frees/Auctioneer: "We anchor, now, ye swabbies? What be I offered for this? Stout-hearted and corn-fed? *the woman holds up the chickens*

Pirate 1: Hey! Be ya selling’ by the pound?

Paul Frees/Auctioneer: Shift yer cargo, dearie.

New dialogue from pirate: We don’t want that! We wants the redhead.

Existing dialogue of pirates in unison: We wants the redhead!

The redhead becomes visibly angry. The pirate next to her still shouts “Avast!” But instead of him firing his gun, she aims her gun and fires at the pirates, recreating the same scene where the bullet ricochets off the sign causing the donkey, goat, and chickens to get spooked.
This is precisely what should have happened. There are so many simple ways that they could have preserved the original dialogue while still shifting the scene's focus, with nothing more than just some minor audio editing. Instead they went for the absolute worst option possible and tossed out everything.

Disney Analyst

Why was this my quote? Haha. I never said that.

Speedy71

I have said it and I will say it again. All this effort to change something so unnecessary But have yet to change something that needs changing.

Journey-Into-Imagination-Disney-World-Attraction.jpg

KBLovedDisney

From NY Daily News:

Our team thought long and hard about how best to update this scene,” Kathy Mangum, a senior vice president with Disney Imagineering, said. “Given the redhead has long been a fan favorite, we wanted to keep her as a pivotal part of the story, so we made her a plundering pirate!

Did you, Kathy? Did you?
I'm curious as to what her definition of a "plundering pirate" was.

Phineas

I was right to expect everyone moaning about a small change. these forums >_<
That's the thing though; it's not a small change. This is the centerpiece of the attraction. I understand a vocal minority complaining about the content, I do. And I get that maybe Disney wanted to create some distance before too many people from this outrage generation became too vocal. But this is one of the most iconic Disney attractions. The characters and scenes are part of American popular culture. And they went in, and changed everything for the worse. There's no sense of logical narrative to the scene now. The new audio recordings stick out like a sore thumb. This scene was done so haphazardly, so cheaply, that it's offensive.

There was a real opportunity to re-imagine the auction scene. And they squandered it.

And real question here to anyone reading: Has anyone ever actually heard someone complaining about this scene's content before the change was announced?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom