Pirates 3 Ticket Sales at Pleasure Island Update

hcswingfield

We went to the Sunday matinee here in Birmingham, where it is playing in multiple theatres in multiple complexes, and the theatre was fairly crowded, especially for an early show when people haven't gotten out of church yet (this is Alabama, and lots of folks do go to church on Sunday before doing anything else.)

CrashNet

Are you kidding?! I thought that part was awesome! One of the best parts of the movie IMO. Geoffry Rush was so great in that scene.
Agreed. Great part. So funny.

As for second and third week sales of Spiderman 3, I guess its just a matter of perspective as to whether that point is moot. Its also a matter of what you find more of a let down: Pirates, which did have its slow parts that could have been trimmed a little, or Spiderman 3, watching Emo Peter Parker Disney-point at women while he danced down the sidewalk.

makonyy15

I think the wedding scene was one of the best as well! My friends disliked it, but I thought it was so creative and comedic. The musical score during it was great too. I don't think a traditional wedding would've fit in with this movie, therefore the way they handled it seems to fit great.

Dwarful

We took a big group (36) to Friday nights 8pm showing. The theater was packed and it cost me a small fortune...people were cursing our group when we ordered our icee's, soda's and popcorn. Some in our group loved it, one mom is a JD fanatic. I am a POTC fan, but I also felt that this movie was a bit of a disappointment. I am certain my husband will buy the dvd when it comes out but I wouldn't shell out more $$$ to see it again in the theaters.

maryszhi

I am just glad that will and liz got together.
I went with my parents and a huge group of my friends and their parents.
It was so funny, we got their ten minutes b/f and got the last tics.
I couldn't believe it. It was friday(tech sat.) and there were 5 theaters showing it. It was super crowed, except the snack bar (LOL)
I hope there is one more!!!
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~when you wish upon a star~

kennyj29

We saw the movie today and I have to tell you I wasn't confused at all!!! I thought it was excellent and it was my favorite one to date. They story line was crazy but fun, I couldn't keep my eyes away from the screen, I was so involved with it. It was GREAT! Now, I can't wait for Pirates 4 because the openings at the end were so numerous, they can't leave you hanging like that!!!!

Champion

I think there are several factors to think about with regards to the third installment (which was awesome by the way) not bringing in as much.
  1. This is Memorial Day weekend, and many people are out doing other things. School is ending, so many are at the beach, on vacation, etc.
  2. Pirates has two huge franchises up against it, one which was released just last week (Shrek).
  3. There is also the possibility that the movie got too big and scared patrons away from the first weekend release. Many people figured this weekend would be insanely crowded and they decided to wait until next week or later.
What will be a big deciding factor is how Pirates 3 holds up next week and the week after. Spiderman 3 made a huge killing the first week, but fell big time the next two weeks. It will be interesting to see how Pirates does next weekend.

Don't forget that the ~$14m from the Thursday showings are not included.

fizzle75

My wife and I just got back from seeing it in Anderson, SC. We thought it was amazing!!! Yeah, the numerous plot lines can be hard to follow but a movie like this is built for repeat viewings. There is just so much going on that it is darn near impossible to take it all in in one viewing. We plan on seeing it again on Thursday and I can't wait. My wife and I are divided on the way they wrap up the Will and Elizabeth plot line, my wife doesn't like it while I think it was brilliant. I also wish they had given more closure to the Davey Jones plotline, I just feel like his relationship with Calypso wasn't properly resolved(anyone else feel this way?).

My absolute favorite trilogy of all time is the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it just can't be beat as far as overall story, character development and emotional resonance IMHO(and prior to that I was a huuuge Star Wars fan), but the Pirates of the Caribbean movies,IMHO, are the greatest action/adventure movies ever produced (sorry Star Wars, you will always have a special place in my heart). I know I'm gonna get flamed for that last statement but that's how I feel. The action in these movies, in particular At World's End, just can't be beat. By the way, another amazing score by Hans Zimmer, I was looking forward to the cd almost as much as the movie. I left this moving feeling thoroughly entertained(for the first time in a long time) and heartbroken at the thought that this might be the last adventure we experience with Captain Jack, Will and Elizabeth. I'm gonna miss these character's terribly. My wife even cried most of the drive home. I hope they didn't leave those potential sequel openings at the end just to leave us high and dry. LONG LIVE CAPTAIN JACK!!! May we sail the waters At World's End with you again someday...

imagineer boy

Well, even if it doesn't break Spiderman 3's opening weekend numbers, it will without a doubt make more domestic gross that Spiderman. I don't think there are any major films coming out soong.

pcf1385

If anyone cares, go visit the writers of pirates, ted and terry's website and see what the will and liz ending REALLY meant. It's not as simple as it may seem and they dropped clues along the way and the big one came after the credits. There where some scenes they deleted from the film for times sake, and they thought the audience would get it through subtle hints, but most people (including myself) didn't get it until later. If you like the way the movie ended as is, then don't bother though. Have a magical day all :animwink:

Astro_Digital

Will likely get flamed ... but ok

How does ticket sales for Pirates 3 have anything to do with the theme of the forum ... WDW Parks News and Rumors ?

This is not Walt Disney World News or a Walt Disney World Rumor.

pcf1385

The site is called wordplayer. And the message board, where they answer questions from fans and where they dropped little hints and then finally just explained it will de down until 10:30 am pacific time today. For those who want to know, just highlight below.

HUGE SPOILER.....

The burden that davy was given by calypso was that he would have to ferry the souls for ten years, and then come back to land. He wasn't supposed to have to do it forever, and he wasn't supposed to have to cut out his heart (that much they say directly in dead man's chest) When he came back to shore after ten years and found calypso not there, he turned bitter, cut out his heart, and was cursed to sail forever and only able to set foot on land every ten years. However, if davy had found true love, then he would have been free of the dutchman. So, since Will and Liz really loved each other, and will did his job for ten years and she stayed faithful, will gets to be free at the end. This is from the writers. Take it or leave it. Hope that helps and if you hate it just pretend like I never said it. Have a magical day!

makonyy15

The spoiler just posted is also on the Wikipedia site, stated as coming from the writers of the trilogy. I didn't get it until I saw the article/writing about it and I think it's very hard to pick up on directly from the film, but I think that makes it a great ending.

EpcotServo

If anyone cares, go visit the writers of pirates, ted and terry's website and see what the will and liz ending REALLY meant. It's not as simple as it may seem and they dropped clues along the way and the big one came after the credits. There where some scenes they deleted from the film for times sake, and they thought the audience would get it through subtle hints, but most people (including myself) didn't get it until later. If you like the way the movie ended as is, then don't bother though. Have a magical day all :animwink:
Could you post a link or name of the website? I can't seem to find it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom