Pirates 3 Ticket Sales at Pleasure Island Update

EpcotServo

A parachute, people. A parachute...
Don't you watch Mythbusters? That worked with a raft. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a sail under heavy winds.

If you tried to take the muck that was the "storyline" seriously, you're in definite trouble. Don't believe me? Just let these words float into your mind: Giant Woman with crabs!

So you'll get a cursed treasure, a kraken, and fish people, but a sea godess is too much? If you can't give in to myth and legend, Pirates isn't the film for you.

The three Pirates of the Caribbean films are the greatest modern fantasy stories of our time. Right up there with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future. They have great stories, and go beyond the level of basic storytelling to convey a grand story that you can find something diffrent in every time you watch them. If you aren't looking for a deep story, you best start getting back to watching the 70 min popcorn comedys that have no depth in them at all.

WDWFigment

Don't you watch Mythbusters? That worked with a raft. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a sail under heavy winds.

So you'll get a cursed treasure, a kraken, and fish people, but a sea godess is too much? If you can't give in to myth and legend, Pirates isn't the film for you.

The three Pirates of the Caribbean films are the greatest modern fantasy stories of our time. Right up there with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future. They have great stories, and go beyond the level of basic storytelling to convey a grand story that you can find something diffrent in every time you watch them. If you aren't looking for a deep story, you best start getting back to watching the 70 min popcorn comedys that have no depth in them at all.

I wholeheartedly disagree, and I also find attacking others who disagree with your opinions as fans of 'lesser' types of movies to be a bit arrogant. I often watches films by Bresson, Bergman, and Fellini--truly deep films. However, I also watch the Pirates films and other summer blockbusters, as well as many other genres. Each has its own merits if done well, yet fans of a specific genre (and that genre alone) always seem to bash genres that are perceived as lower on the 'film quality hierarchy'. Honestly, a film does not have to fulfill any objective standard to be good (a three hour film that rambles is not necessarily better than a 70 minute film that is well edited). I think it is unwise to equate a film's duration with its "depth" or quality.

The third PotC is not deep--it may have a complex (or convoluted, depending on how you look at it) plot, but this does not somehow mean it is a brilliant film. I'm sure many of us here could come up with five different plot lines, think of ways to tie them together, then call that a movie--it would be complex, but I doubt it'd be good or deep. It is certainly a popcorn film (not that there's anything wrong with that) and as other posters have commented, its corny or lame aspects are not in that it has used myth, but the manner by which it implements said myth.

I must admit I snickered when the Calypso character increased to fifty feet then turned into crabs--not because I thought, "hey, this can't happen in the real world," but because it was poorly done. I have enjoyed all of the PotC movies (some less than others), but some people need to be more willing to look critically at these movies. Just because Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom are "dreamy" or POTC is a childhood favorite Disney attraction, doesn't mean you have to blindly praise the films.

sknydave

Please do not ever tarnish the Star Wars (original trilogy) and Indiana Jones by mentioning them in the same breath as Pirates of the Caribbean.

PigletIsMyCat

What's with the fanboy attitude towards 'the holy trilogy'? I hate Star Wars. I think the Indiana Jones series is waaaay better. I also like Pirates waaaay better. I can name multiple movies that I think are better than and enjoy more than Star Wars. Star Wars is not the be all, end all of movies.

Mentioning Pirates or Indy in the same breath as Star Wars does not tarnish it, nor diminish it's awesomeness, or integrity, or whatever you're on about. Some people like different kinds of movies. I tend not to go for deep, artsy stuff anymore. I get enough deep, meaningful, depressing stuff every day. I go to the movies and read books to forget, to be immersed in another world.

'What the hell has this world come to. There's only one return, and it ain't of the King, it's of the Jedi'.

PigletIsMyCat

If you tried to take the muck that was the "storyline" seriously, you're in definite trouble. Don't believe me? Just let these words float into your mind: Giant Woman with crabs!

If you don't take the storyline seriously and try to understand it, what the heck is the point of seeing a movie? Why would following a plot line and trying to understand what the writer and director were going for make me in 'definite trouble'? Because I like to be whisked away from my crappy everyday life and pretend I'm a pirate?

Plus, the whole Giant Woman with crabs thing is ridiculous. Calypso is a sea goddess. Why wouldn't an enraged sea goddess become more giant in size, as to strike fear into the hearts of man? Or whatever. And why shouldn't a sea goddess take her form in thousands of crabs? I thought it was artfully done, although I wasn't terribly fond of the fact they felt the need to have Calypso become a giantess for some reason. How else would you expect to portray a long trapped sea goddess returning to her haven?

Wilt Dasney

The third PotC is not deep--it may have a complex (or convoluted, depending on how you look at it) plot, but this does not somehow mean it is a brilliant film.

I concur. The word deep has never occurred to me watching any of the Pirates movies. There is a lot of background info to stew over, but I've always gotten the sense it's intended more as an adhesive to tie the big FX sequences together than to add real depth to the characters.

sknydave

What's with the fanboy attitude towards 'the holy trilogy'? I hate Star Wars. I think the Indiana Jones series is waaaay better. I also like Pirates waaaay better. I can name multiple movies that I think are better than and enjoy more than Star Wars. Star Wars is not the be all, end all of movies.

Mentioning Pirates or Indy in the same breath as Star Wars does not tarnish it, nor diminish it's awesomeness, or integrity, or whatever you're on about. Some people like different kinds of movies. I tend not to go for deep, artsy stuff anymore. I get enough deep, meaningful, depressing stuff every day. I go to the movies and read books to forget, to be immersed in another world.

'What the hell has this world come to. There's only one return, and it ain't of the King, it's of the Jedi'.

Yes, some people do prefer different kinds of movies. I prefer "good" movies. AKA not POTC 3.

PigletIsMyCat

Yes, some people do prefer different kinds of movies. I prefer "good" movies. AKA not POTC 3.

And since when are you a god of movies?

What do you use to judge if a movie is 'good' or not? Box office sales? Director acclaim? Winning awards?

Or just whether or not you like it?

My absolute favorite movie was a total flop at the box office. Does that make it not good? No. Do alot of people hate it, think it's stupid, or feel uncomfortable watching it? Yes. Have I spoken to many people who think it's the worst movie ever made, EVER?!??!! Yes. Yes, I have had numerous people tell me it is the worst movie ever, they would never watch it again, and they can't understand why I love it.

Yet even now, 30 years after its flop at the box office, thousands of people flock to weekly midnight showings of it, know every word to the movie, and even reenact it in front of the screen. Does that make it good?

No. Not even that makes it a 'good' movie to everyone.

But it's a great movie to me.

Don't dream it. Be it.

imagineer boy

Folks, the POTC movies are summer adventure popcorn flicks. Nothing more. They're not meant to be taken too seriously. Just sit back, suspend your disbelief, and enjoy!

To be honest, I don't know why the sequals get the accusations that they don't have any story. I thought they had plenty of story. Way more than the Matrix sequals anyways. Heck, the POTC films shouldn't even be compared to the Matrix sequals because there's no similarities other than the fact that they were shot back to back. There's a lot more similarities with Star Wars.

Wilt Dasney

My absolute favorite movie was a total flop at the box office. Does that make it not good? No. Do alot of people hate it, think it's stupid, or feel uncomfortable watching it? Yes. Have I spoken to many people who think it's the worst movie ever made, EVER?!??!! Yes. Yes, I have had numerous people tell me it is the worst movie ever, they would never watch it again, and they can't understand why I love it.

Yet even now, 30 years after its flop at the box office, thousands of people flock to weekly midnight showings of it, know every word to the movie, and even reenact it in front of the screen. Does that make it good?

No. Not even that makes it a 'good' movie to everyone.

But it's a great movie to me.

Rocky Horror? :lookaroun

PigletIsMyCat

Rocky Horror? :lookaroun

Yes. Sadly, I've never been to a midnight showing cause I can't find anyone crazy enough about it to go with me..... but I still know all the words, all the songs, and even all the dances. And, I have been known to get up and dance along in my living room, as well as host/attend private Rocky Horror Picture Parties where we all throw toast and bags of rice in the air at the appropriate times.

If a parachute is that ridiculous...how can something as silly as having a giant boulder roll over a man...or sword fighting with beams of light be any different? A lot of movies have ridiculous things in them. I'm not trying to praise POTC or shoot other movies down...I'm just saying there are alot of similarities between films like Pirates, Star Wars, Indy etc :shrug:

wedway71

Good review or bad I will still go to my AMC sit down with my popcorn-xtra butter and xtra salt pour in my snow caps to melt wash it down with a Diet Coke(have to watch my girlish figure) and enjoy it!

EpcotServo

I wholeheartedly disagree, and I also find attacking others who disagree with your opinions as fans of 'lesser' types of movies to be a bit arrogant.

The latter part of my post was not intended towards any member of this forum. It was intended towards an idea. Towards those who take movies at face value. I never said that those movies are lesser, though it may come across as such. Trust me, I'm no film snob. I enjoy great movies, and I feel those who can't keep up with At World's End needs to go back and see it again. I have nothing against popcorn comedies, as I enjoy them just as much as the artsy movies. And while Pirates is indeed somewhat a popcorn movie, I feel it wrong to say that's it dosen't have a deep and well made story.

And trust me, to suggest that the three Pirates films have not left quite a mark on today's culture in the way Star Wars and Indy did, which I too am a fan of by the way, is very forward. Only three years ago there was never a mention of Pirates. Let alone a day when you would find Pirate-trappings in stores, and on streets. Now pirates are a big part of modern culture, just because of these movies. Just in the way Star Wars and Indy have been our modern mythos, and changed our culture, Pirates has done the same.

Oh, and and the reason why Star Wars can be compared to Pirates, is that they both feature the Hero's journey. Star Wars is about Luke, and Pirates is about Will.

Anyhoo...that's just what I think.
:wave:

imagineer99

I think someone's been drinking from the well of hyperbole...

Deep story? LOL! You're mixing up terms: Convolution and depth are not the same thing. Explain to me how any idea brought up in the Pirates films is *deep.*

You want depth, go watch the collective works of Bergman and Fellini and get back to me. The pirates movies should do one thing and one thing only--keep me entertained. In a summer action/adventure movie, I want action and adventure (crazy, I know!). I want explosions and sword fights. I don't want a sea of McGuffins and Red Herrings. I don't want BORING dialogue scenes that are vague and do nothing to develop both characters or plot. I don't want unbearably boring reoccurring gags (Hello, Multiple Jack's!) And, most of all, I don't want a B-movie style 50 foot woman turning into crabs. Is that too much to ask?

When Calypso or whomever she was, turned into that thing. Some guy in the theater yelled out: "That's a huge !" Needless to say, that was the funniest part of the movie for me. ;)

sknydave

http://movies.aol.com/feature/summer_movies/photos/pirates-of-the-caribbean-vs-star-wars

interesting link from Moviefone. States 12 weird similarities from Pirates and Star Wars.

It's kind of like how Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy, and Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln.

Except what the article is trying to convey is that POTC is a cheap Star Wars ripoff.

I don't think Star Wars is the almighty of films, but I do think that the original trilogy is just so much better than the 3 Pirate films. I loved POTC, I thought it was great. I'm sorry if it bothers all of you that I didn't like the second and found the third to be downright laughable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom