Pirates 3 Ticket Sales at Pleasure Island Update

fizzle75

For anyone wanting a spoiler of what happens after the credits you can check out Wikipedia for an written explanation.

Or, as of right now, on YouTube, someone posted a semi-good quality 1 minute video of it, but if you want to see if you'd better hurry because Disney's keeping a close eye on YouTube and having any Pirates 3 videos pulled for Copyright infringement.

Not saying it's right for the YouTube poster or anything but for someone who already paid to see the movie but missed the scene after the credits, it's nice to have now seen it.
Anyone have a link for this? I seem to be having trouble finding it on youtube.:brick:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Saturday's number right now (via DHD and SBD) is $38 million. :eek:

This could have a very tough time passing the first one's domestic gross.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
The weekend number is clearly an estimate, seeing as how Sunday box office just opened. Why not post a link to where you are getting your info?

Just go to Box Office Mojo...

And yes, it's an estimate, but the estimates are usually not more than $1-3m off (either higher or lower).

Also...

Shrek the Third - $51,042,000
Spider-Man 3 - $13,700,000

Is Spidey still going to overtake Shrek? :rolleyes:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have to say the film didn't feel that long nor did it labour the story. If a films length is to be used as a guide to its quality then western society as a whole as become even more vacuous than I would have believed.

As for the other points the article raises, isn't it a bit of a non story given they highlight that Siderman 3 was shown in more screens round the clock and Disney is using a different marketing strategy.

I cant comment on Spiderman 3 as a film because I haven't seen it given I gave up on the previous effort and its appalling acting and dialogue.

Shrek 3 is receiving lots of negative feedback in the UK despite not being released for another month, thanks to an influx of dodgy DVDs from the gulf region and of course the virus ridden internet.

IMHO of course

Dizknee_Phreek

And yes, it's an estimate, but the estimates are usually not more than $1-3m off (either higher or lower).

That's probably true under normal circumstances...but it's a bit different this weekend, seeing as Memorial Day is tomorrow. Tomorrow's numbers won't be taken into the weekend total, of course, BUT I've read that the Sunday before Memorial Day is usually pretty big, since people don't have to get up early for work the next day (well, many people, anyway). It may still not make that big of a difference...I dunno...we'll have to wait and see.

DisneyDefenders

My $20

That's probably true under normal circumstances...but it's a bit different this weekend, seeing as Memorial Day is tomorrow. Tomorrow's numbers won't be taken into the weekend total, of course, BUT I've read that the Sunday before Memorial Day is usually pretty big, since people don't have to get up early for work the next day (well, many people, anyway). It may still not make that big of a difference...I dunno...we'll have to wait and see.

And so we shall...I know I am going to see it again today and tomorrow, so I'll be contributing about $20 to the several million it will make. :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Surely the most important figure is what is left after the gate receipts are deducted from the cost of making and marketing the thing, oh and dont forget all that lovely merhandise the Disney shops are now awash with.

TWO

CrashNet

I think there are several factors to think about with regards to the third installment (which was awesome by the way) not bringing in as much.

1. This is Memorial Day weekend, and many people are out doing other things. School is ending, so many are at the beach, on vacation, etc.
  2. Pirates has two huge franchises up against it, one which was released just last week (Shrek).
  3. There is also the possibility that the movie got too big and scared patrons away from the first weekend release. Many people figured this weekend would be insanely crowded and they decided to wait until next week or later.
What will be a big deciding factor is how Pirates 3 holds up next week and the week after. Spiderman 3 made a huge killing the first week, but fell big time the next two weeks. It will be interesting to see how Pirates does next weekend.

makonyy15

I think there are several factors to think about with regards to the third installment (which was awesome by the way) not bringing in as much.

1. This is Memorial Day weekend, and many people are out doing other things. School is ending, so many are at the beach, on vacation, etc.
  2. Pirates has two huge franchises up against it, one which was released just last week (Shrek).
  3. There is also the possibility that the movie got too big and scared patrons away from the first weekend release. Many people figured this weekend would be insanely crowded and they decided to wait until next week or later.
What will be a big deciding factor is how Pirates 3 holds up next week and the week after. Spiderman 3 made a huge killing the first week, but fell big time the next two weeks. It will be interesting to see how Pirates does next weekend.

Very good points. It's been beautiful all weekend up here in New York so I feel that many people will be out and about at BBQ's instead of inside watching movies. I found time to watch the movie twice because I found it to be that good. We shall see in the long run.

Timmay

Spiderman 3 made a huge killing the first week, but fell big time the next two weeks. It will be interesting to see how Pirates does next weekend.

Spider-Man 3 had no other option but to take the drop the second weekend that it did…that point is moot. It took an even bigger dive the third weekend due to Shrek.

Now, Pirates is a good movie…no doubt. But to me and a lot of other folks I have spoken to and have heard, it was a little bit of a let down. I was expecting something that would knock my socks off. It didn’t. It could have been so much more. I really wanted this movie to be up there box office wise with the tops. I just don’t think that it will be.

WDWFigment

Now, Pirates is a good movie…no doubt. But to me and a lot of other folks I have spoken to and have heard, it was a little bit of a let down. I was expecting something that would knock my socks off. It didn’t. It could have been so much more. I really wanted this movie to be up there box office wise with the tops. I just don’t think that it will be.

I agree completely. While I enjoyed it, I think it's the weakest of the three entries into the trilogy. I think anyone who thinks Curse of Black Pearl is not the best of the three is insane. Plus it gets points for originality.

************SPOILER WARNING***********************

I also though there were a lot of lame aspects of the movie. The wedding during the fight scene? Come on. Relying on the monkey for so much comedic relief? That was overdone. I'll see it again in theaters just to see if my impressions change at all, but right now, I think it was sorely lacking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom