Pirates 3 Ticket Sales at Pleasure Island Update

Dizknee_Phreek

YAAAAY! The new info about the ending has TOTALLY made my day! I'm now completely and totally fine with the ending and think it's beautiful! :sohappy:

imagineer boy

'Pirates' Fails to Claim Box Office Treasure

New Pirates Of The Caribbean sequel, At World's End, appears to have fallen short of reclaiming its place in the U.S. box office record books - but Johnny Depp and his crew are still celebrating. The second sequel has scored an estimated $112.5 million in its opening weekend, although official figures won't be released until after Memorial Day. The figure, though impressive, is well below last summer's $135.6 million opening weekend take for Pirates sequel Dead Man's Chest. And it's way short of Spider-Man 3's record-breaking $151.1 million opening weekend earlier this month. But the Pirates won't exactly be walking the plank - At World's End scored the fifth-biggest three-day opening ever. The film has also made an additional $205.5 million internationally since it hit cinemas worldwide on Wednesday. The sequel easily tops the new U.S. box office chart, which is led by the third films in three franchises. Shrek the Third comes in second with an impressive $51 million second-weekend take, while Spider-Man 3 holds on to third place with $13.7 million. The third Spider-Man film has now notched up $303.3 million in America alone - in just a month. The movie's worldwide figure has already topped $800 million.

Who cares about records? The important thing is that its doing very well right now. Besides, its like I said before, it will make alot more money in the long term than Shrek or Spiderman.

imagineer boy

Okay, so it didn't break any american box office records. But how about global records?

Walt Disney Pictures' epic adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, from Jerry Bruckheimer Films, landed in the global box office record books and laid claim to the biggest opening in industry history, with an unprecedented gross of $401 million in its first six days of release, it was announced today by Mark Zoradi, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Marketing and Distribution. This figure surpasses the previous record of $382 million set by the six-day opening of Spider-Man 3 earlier this month.

Domestically, "At World's End" raised its weekend estimate to $156 million (including Thursday night showings). The film set a new record for the four-day Memorial Day Weekend with its gross of $142 million (including Monday estimates), surpassing the previous high of $122.8 million set by X-Men: The Last Stand in 2006.

At the international box office, Disney's latest "Pirates" adventure shattered records from Russia to Japan with its phenomenal $245 million cume through Monday (including Monday estimates). The film had record-breaking openings (figures are through Sunday) in their respective markets in the following countries: Korea ($18.4 million), Japan ($15.9 million; US Productions only), Russia ($13.7 million), Spain ($11.6 million), Taiwan ($4.5 million) and Netherlands ($2.8 million). It also set new Walt Disney Studio records in the U.K. ($26.6 million), France ($17.7 million), Germany ($16.8 million) and Australia ($9.9 million). With its six-day tally of $245 million, "At World's End" has set a new international record that surpasses the previous six-day high of $232 million set by Spider-Man 3 a few weeks ago. "Pirates" still has a few markets yet to open including China and India.

Commenting on the announcement, Zoradi said, "We knew that audiences all over the world were excited to see Johnny Depp and the rest of the fantastic 'Pirates' cast in this latest adventure, but this record-setting response at the global box office has been nothing short of incredible. 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' now has the distinction of having the biggest opening in movie history, and we're extremely proud of that achievement. Credit goes to the multitude of talent both in front of and behind the camera. Jerry Bruckheimer, Gore Verbinski and their exceptional teams as well as the creative minds of writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio have proven to be the perfect recipe for success."

"Pirates" which rolled out on over 29,000 screens worldwide, showed on a record number of digital screens both domestically (1,064) and internationally (414) bringing the global total to 1,478. The film has already become the Studio's 54th release to join the $100 million club internationally and the 53rd film to reach the $100 million plateau domestically -- unprecedented in the industry.

CrashNet

I actually picked up on its meaning pcf1385. It did take some thought and I figured it out after I had left the theater, but it clicked. I even did that, "wait...OOOOHHHHHH" thing. :lol:

DisneyDellsDude

I saw it about a half an hour ago and I enjoyed it. I loved how they referenced the ride with all the audio bits scattered all over the movie and how it tied the first two so great to this last one. The only complaint I have about it is that it did feel too long at some points.

:)

WDWFigment

It made more money than estimates during the weekend predicted, and has no legitimate challenges in the near future; maybe there won't be too much of a drop off.

As to the wedding point, during the midst of a heated battle, three people honestly have the time to go through a wedding ceremony? Barbosa pulled it off because he kept fighting, but Will and Elizabeth stopped for a long period of time to kiss. That's what I thought was lame. This isn't a love story tailored to pre-pubescent girls who want a "prince and princess story". Oh, I forgot, it is--that's what Orlando Bloom is doing in the films (and would also explain the high number of 3-10 year olds at the showing I saw).

prberk

Quoting the press release quoted above by imagineer boy...

Commenting on the announcement, Zoradi said, "We knew that audiences all over the world were excited to see Johnny Depp and the rest of the fantastic 'Pirates' cast in this latest adventure, but this record-setting response at the global box office has been nothing short of incredible. 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' now has the distinction of having the biggest opening in movie history, and we're extremely proud of that achievement. Credit goes to the multitude of talent both in front of and behind the camera. Jerry Bruckheimer, Gore Verbinski and their exceptional teams as well as the creative minds of writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio have proven to be the perfect recipe for success."

Umm, how about to Walt Disney himself, who was the one who thought up the "Pirates of the Caribbean" as an adventure in the first place?

After all, even though it is a sequel, the whole thing relies on his concept, especially the first film, without which this one would not exist. At least the credits still start with, "Based upon Walt Disney's 'Pirates of the Caribbean'."

As for this film, I have to say that it needed some serious editing. I thought it was a confusing, overproduced mess. I liked the first one, and to a lesser extent the second one (especially the Indiana Jones-type feel, although I definitely feel it stole its plot points from "Return of the Jedi"); but this one, I have to say, is a complete mess. Good characters, great effects, but a confusing, rambling, jumble of a plot.

Paul

DisneyDefenders

The only way to do it

It made more money than estimates during the weekend predicted, and has no legitimate challenges in the near future; maybe there won't be too much of a drop off.

As to the wedding point, during the midst of a heated battle, three people honestly have the time to go through a wedding ceremony? Barbosa pulled it off because he kept fighting, but Will and Elizabeth stopped for a long period of time to kiss. That's what I thought was lame. This isn't a love story tailored to pre-pubescent girls who want a "prince and princess story". Oh, I forgot, it is--that's what Orlando Bloom is doing in the films (and would also explain the high number of 3-10 year olds at the showing I saw).

How else would you have pirates get married!?! :confused: It was perfect! :sohappy:

PigletIsMyCat

Agreed. That's the only way to marry a Pirate!

I thought the movie was a tad confusing at times, trying to figure out who was on what side, but I loved the movie overall. And I still stand by what I said on an earlier post about Will and Elizabeth's characters being important to the plot in all three movies; they are not just catering to teenyboppers with crushes.

the-reason14

I enjoyed the movie, and yes it was long. And this is coming from a person that thought the original, at first viewing, wasnt as great as most people were saying, I almost hated it because I thought the only reason people liked it was because of the supposedly big stars in it. After I watched the first tow on DVD and then the third in theaters on the same day, I think the whole franchise is great, and obviously great for disney. I just hope if they do do more sequals they wont kill of the original intent of the first few films.

Wilt Dasney

No, not really. It was silly, in a bad way. Barbossa made the scene only slightly watchable.

Barbossa turning around and yelling "I'm a little busy right now!" was the biggest LOL moment in the movie for me. Something about his delivery there just cracked me up bigtime.

I agree the scene was silly, but I think most of the series is based on the style over substance principle, so I just took it in that vein.

imagineer99

It seems like Geoffrey Rush was the only actor who knew just the kind of movie he was in. His performance was campy, over-the-top, and probably the best in the whole movie.

If you tried to take the muck that was the "storyline" seriously, you're in definite trouble. Don't believe me? Just let these words float into your mind: Giant Woman with crabs!

Cynderella

It seems like Geoffrey Rush was the only actor who knew just the kind of movie he was in. His performance was campy, over-the-top, and probably the best in the whole movie.

If you tried to take the muck that was the "storyline" seriously, you're in definite trouble. Don't believe me? Just let these words float into your mind: Giant Woman with crabs![/QUOTE]

:lol: :lookaroun What was the deal with her anyways? They kept building up "Calypso" and then all she turned into was a bunch of crabs and I'm assuming the storm/whirlpool part. I thought it was going to be different when it came to her :shrug:

Kwit35

Oh, I forgot, it is--that's what Orlando Bloom is doing in the films (and would also explain the high number of 3-10 year olds at the showing I saw).

Good point, but just an fyi, my 6 year old daughter was there for one reason and one reason only...JACK!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom