Pictures of the 2011 mugs....too cute!!!

Dwarful

All the mug thiefs would do then is pay for one new mug and use it to fill everyone elses in their family that brought old mugs.

Thats what we saw a lot of at the Water Parks. They would buy one sticker for one mug and then just scan the heck out of the baby while filling up other mugs, cups, etc., that weren't even from WDW.

We arrive in June & will probably buy 3 mugs as souvineers mostly. Def. won't buy 6 because there is no way in the length of our trip that we would drink $69 worth of soda during the times we are at the resort.

Tinkerbell 8

I wish they were out in the beginning of the year when I was there since we were on the quick service dining plan and got 2 more of the red mugs that we now have 6 of. I told my DH that we need to plan another trip for this year so we can get new mugs :D

PalisadesPkteer

I know this would be cost prohibitive just like resort specific mugs but how about just printing the year on them?

You slap a huge 2011 on it with the graphics and it can not be used except this year. Yea I know there will be some going 2, 3 or 4 times in a year but that seams less than just year after year like now.

By the way, saw many old resort and YOMD mugs and others in the parks being used at beverage stations there in park not just resort. So some will use it anywhere. Although I saw several CM's around the areas of the beverage machines (I guess to suppress this activity.)

WDW_Emily

I know this would be cost prohibitive just like resort specific mugs but how about just printing the year on them?

You slap a huge 2011 on it with the graphics and it can not be used except this year. Yea I know there will be some going 2, 3 or 4 times in a year but that seams less than just year after year like now.

By the way, saw many old resort and YOMD mugs and others in the parks being used at beverage stations there in park not just resort. So some will use it anywhere. Although I saw several CM's around the areas of the beverage machines (I guess to suppress this activity.)

In the past the year has been printed. Thats not really the problem.

The problem is that CMs don't enforce the "this cup is only for this stay" rule. The only way they can is if they have a CM manning the drink station, and most likely that wont happen. I always buy the new mugs though, more as a keepsake.

hrcollectibles

Am I right that the mugs are only available and refillable at the value resorts?

You can purchase the mugs at any Walt Disney Resort. Or if you are have the Quick Service or Deluxe Dining plans the mug is included. I think it is funny that a guest would spend money on a trip, but not shell out the extra money to buy a new mug for each trip.

Why not install a scanner on the machines at the resorts, when a guest buys the mug, and the bar code is scanned, it is somehow tied to their resort reservation, like the dining plans. And the ability to get refills ends at midnihgt on the day of check out.

WDW_Emily

You can purchase the mugs at any Walt Disney Resort. Or if you are have the Quick Service or Deluxe Dining plans the mug is included. I think it is funny that a guest would spend money on a trip, but not shell out the extra money to buy a new mug for each trip.

Why not install a scanner on the machines at the resorts, when a guest buys the mug, and the bar code is scanned, it is somehow tied to their resort reservation, like the dining plans. And the ability to get refills ends at midnihgt on the day of check out.

That is actually a really good idea..

tirian

And Elton John used to be married to a lady, but that doesn't change a thing. Now excuse me while I lock up my stroller before you come up with a chain of logic that justifies you stealing that too.

I'm not justifying stealing; I'm just making a statement about the actual value of the mug.

pax_65

The reusing mugs fight seems to cycle through every few months around here. :lol:

It's really a symptom of a larger debate, which is "Would you do cheat the system to save a few bucks on your Disney vacation?" Some people feel Disney charges so much as it is, they feel justified in taking advantage of any loophole to make the trip more affordable or get a better deal. This includes the mugs, lying about the age of your child for park tickets, whatever.

I'm all about getting a great deal - shop around for codes and such, but I won't lie, cheat or steal to do it.

I remember having this debate before, and I asked "If the system somehow allowed you to enter the park with an expired park ticket, would you do it?" and a number of people said yes. There's really not much I can say to that. I guess they enclose the parks in high fencing for a reason.

Lucky

You slap a huge 2011 on it with the graphics and it can not be used except this year.
They're smart enough to do that if they care enough about it.

It's obviously not much of a priority for them to stop guests from re-using mugs on later trips.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I like them about the same as the last go round. It would be cool if some graphics person got the go ahead to go nuts and produce a lot of different designs if we're not going to get resort specific mugs ever again.

Love it! Especially the part where it comes with a pink handle. However, I'm probably going to look even more ridiculous walking around with it at work though.

They are in my early morning coffee carrying container rota as well.

Dwarful

This would ONLY work if they doubled more the size of the mugs. They won't. It would cost WAY too much.

When I mug on a 97 degree day, I'll refill 3-4x before leaving the station and still go away with a final fillup.

The complaints would in no way justify the change.

The other factors are the increased cost of mugs. Cost to install and maintain the equipment may not be worth the amount they are losing now either.

The fact that people are bringing back old mugs is part of the reason for shrinking the size.

As far as park mugs are concerned, Disney has already shown that they are not interested in the Six Flags mig game. Too many people with too big of families staying too many days. They are better off keeping drink costs under $4 and getting people to purchase 3-4 drinks daily.

Plus, they don't want to have folks dragging those crappy sports bottles around all day. Nor do they want to be known as another park that plays the sports bottle game.

I agree that the limited scan system wouldn't work. My husband is like you, could easily down 3 or 4 of those little mugs on a warm day. We generally drive down and have our own drinks in the room and if we are at the Values we might use the mugs a bit more because they are so much easier to use at those locations vs. the deluxe resorts.

At Aninal Kingdom they used to play that crappy sports bottle game. I think we bought our bottle with giant animal topper for around $8 and then it was $1 refills all day. We still have that cup but it is so top heavy and cumbersome that it never gets used. We also have one from Disneyland that has the castle on the top w/the same issues. We bought them for the girls more as a treat from the parks.

As far as the mugs are concerned we didn't buy any on our trips when we stayed at Boardwalk or Beach Club, bought two at Yacht Club (one for each of the girls). Mostly because it was a pain in the neck getting the mugs refilled at Boardwalk. Now this trip is a big trip to Movies and we will probably buy the girls new mugs again. We drive down so I have a cooler full of drinks for the room and I am not about to haul that little bitty mug around the parks just to get a small drink on our way back from the parks.

We have seen people use everything from pop corn buckets, plastic cups from the parks, plastic cups from the gas station and even disposable plastic cups from the room (I think they are smaller than the mugs themselves). If I can pony up the money for a trip to WDW I can either buy the mugs or buy the drinks each time. But I am also not going to get caught up in what other people are doing on their vacation.

Still I do wish they were the old resort specific mugs.

kbmum

I wish they had four different lid colors readily available. Last year's mugs had black, red, yellow and blue lids. The blue lids weren't put on display (not that I ever saw, anyway), but they were available behind the registers or counters.

We're staying at Beach Club for the first time this summer. Could someone please tell me where the beverage stations are? I'm trying to decide if having mugs will be worth the hassle or if I should just get extra drinks delivered by Garden Grocer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom