Pictures of the 2011 mugs....too cute!!!

dreamfinder

Can someone please confirm... 4 colours with 4 handle colours ?
Pictures are not conclusive.

For the last two sets of mug styles, each lid type has had a matching handle color. Now some people may swap them before buying, so what you see in the pictures may not be the best representation, but that is how they have typically done it.

flavious27

Probably.

It's also cheaper for my family not to be inclined to buy new mugs for every resort we stay at because they are all the same. It's just one less souvenir we bring home now.

I want to spend money at Disney, but sometimes Disney makes it very hard to do that.

It is easier for disney to make just one mug design for all of the hotels for every cycle, but why change the resort mugs on such a regular basis in the first place?

dreamfinder

It is easier for disney to make just one mug design for all of the hotels for every cycle, but why change the resort mugs on such a regular basis in the first place?

Money. I imagine they have done studies on how often people are likely to actually buy a new mug based on their trip frequency, actual lifespan of the mugs, etc. And some accounting/marketing flunky determined that guests are likely to buy a new mug every 2 years (their apparent current redesign schedule).
Also, it helps to convince people to buy a new mug on their repeat trips even if they still have the old design. Guilt if you may. (not getting into the reuse of mugs here)

flavious27

Money. I imagine they have done studies on how often people are likely to actually buy a new mug based on their trip frequency, actual lifespan of the mugs, etc. And some accounting/marketing flunky determined that guests are likely to buy a new mug every 2 years (their apparent current redesign schedule).
Also, it helps to convince people to buy a new mug on their repeat trips even if they still have the old design. Guilt if you may. (not getting into the reuse of mugs here)

I agree, I am sure that tdo has studied how to maximize the profits with the mugs. though I think that they have arrived at the conclusion that guest "buy" the mugs because they are part of the ddp and the designs doesn't matter as much.

RobBlock

Here you go, from the horse's mouth. Hopefully we don't need to argue as to whether mugs can be re-used any more and what the official policy is.

-------------------------------------------

Dear Rob,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Disney's refillable mugs are good only for the current trip that they
were purchased for. If you want to use a refillable mug, you must
purchase a new mug each time that stay at Walt Disney World.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
applicable on all correspondence.

Sincerely,

Audra Robinson
DRC Guest Correspondent

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and
should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Hello,
I am planning an upcoming trip with my family back
to WDW, most likely to stay at the Grand Floridian. We have stayed at
the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge in the past. During
our stay at the Wilderness Lodge, I purchased the refillable mugs as 1 -
I thought they were a great deal and 2 - I like the way they look (I use
them everyday as my travel coffee mug even now). I believe that I
remember being told when I purchased the mugs that I could bring them
back and use them on subsequent trips. I wanted to check to see if this
was still the policy and if I could use the mugs at a different resort
from the Wilderness Lodge where I purchased them. Will I need to
re-purchase new mugs or pay for refills if I bring my Wilderness Lodge
mugs back?

Thanks!

Rob Block

plaz10

I wish the new mugs had a more "Disney WORLD" feel to them....maybe pictures of the 4 icons or something. There's an idea....4 different mugs, each themed w/1 of the 4 icons. I'm pretty sure we'd snag the EPCOT one right up! But they are still cuter than the red mugs. So we'll probably be picking up the blue one in May!

And the whole reuse mug debate? Who cares? That person is saving 14 bucks...big deal. They know it's wrong, there are signs posted on every drink machine. They have to catch the glares of other guests. Whatever. At Disney World, 14 bucks is nothing. I will happily fill up my new mug next to their old one and drink out of my new (and cheap by Disney standards) souvenir! I'm in DISNEY WORLD, I can't be bothered by someone else cheating the system to make a few bucks, no skin off my back. Let it go...enjoy your vacation!

pax_65

Here you go, from the horse's mouth. Hopefully we don't need to argue as to whether mugs can be re-used any more and what the official policy is.

The argument will go on as long as some believe that since Disney doesn't feel it's worth "guarding" every drink station, they aren't enforcing the policy so it can therefore be disregarded.

But I agree... it's not something I'm going to worry about on my vacation. You'll get no dirty looks from me.

I just wish they had a self-serve beer station. :)

PolynesianPrincess

I know when I purchased my refillable mug at Blizzard Beach it had a barcode on it stating only good for WEDNESDAY. You had to scan the barcode before you could refill the mugs. I'm kind of surprised Disney hasn't gone to this for all the resorts yet. Making a barcode that only scans during your dates of stay. Yes, it's kind of a pain to scan the code (a couple times it didnt read the first time I tried it) but it would help stop people from using old mugs :shrug:

SANDKRUSER

I purchase refillable mugs EVERY year. However, I bring 2 extra with from the previous trip - BECAUSE we like more than one cup of coffee in the morning. My husband (who has had one hip replacement and needs another) goes and gets our coffee with our new mugs and a second cup of coffee with the old ones. I also have arthritis and bad knees. We're close to 60 and frankly, don't want to make a second run right away. We're not bringing a beverage back for someone else.

Is this considered stealing? I don't think so - we're getting our two cups of coffee in one trip. I've never felt bad about it because I ALWAYS purchase the new ones. We've never just brought the old ones to refill.

BTW - like the new ones. They're more "cheerier" than the one red and black.

Ive asked around and never got a straight answer, but does anyone know if they have the resort specific mugs in storage? On recent trips ive asked, but again always got mixed answers. When i go in July, definitely asking again, those mugs are just too good to pass up if they still have them somewhere. The search continues.....

I'm not gonna lie.....every time we go, we take our old cup with us from 3 years ago. Now, that said, we ONLY drink water so it shouldn't be that big of a deal anyway because water is free! :)

We only bought the cup as a souvenir and not as a "fill it up with pop as much as possible" cup.

I've seen people there using cups from previous years filling them up as many times as they could with pop and I honestly couldn't care less......it's just pop and it's not going to bankrupt Disney because someone is "stealing" some pop. (hell, i've seen people at the Coke place in epcot filling mugs up with pop from around the world.....that one I actually rolled my eyes about tho)

jhastings74

i've seen people at the Coke place in epcot filling mugs up with pop from around the world.....that one I actually rolled my eyes about tho)

I have to admit: that's the first I've heard about people doing that...yet I am not surprised in the least. The park should allow that...but only after the guest completely fills up their mug with Beverly and drinks it down in one shot.

jhastings74

I purchase refillable mugs EVERY year. However, I bring 2 extra with from the previous trip - BECAUSE we like more than one cup of coffee in the morning. My husband (who has had one hip replacement and needs another) goes and gets our coffee with our new mugs and a second cup of coffee with the old ones. I also have arthritis and bad knees. We're close to 60 and frankly, don't want to make a second run right away. We're not bringing a beverage back for someone else.

Is this considered stealing? I don't think so - we're getting our two cups of coffee in one trip. I've never felt bad about it because I ALWAYS purchase the new ones. We've never just brought the old ones to refill.

BTW - like the new ones. They're more "cheerier" than the one red and black.

I would say that as long as you have your receipt showing the purchase of the new mugs, there should be no issue.

flavious27

I know when I purchased my refillable mug at Blizzard Beach it had a barcode on it stating only good for WEDNESDAY. You had to scan the barcode before you could refill the mugs. I'm kind of surprised Disney hasn't gone to this for all the resorts yet. Making a barcode that only scans during your dates of stay. Yes, it's kind of a pain to scan the code (a couple times it didnt read the first time I tried it) but it would help stop people from using old mugs :shrug:

Because guests stay for more than one day in a hotel.

panther726

At some point of time, however, I believe the mug policy was that you were able to use the mug on any subsequent trip to the resort. For instance, our family bought 2 All Star Sports mugs in 2006. Now, during the time of purchase and today the rule has changed. But, to each its own.

However, I saw people during our stay at POFQ in December using mugs from the 90s from other resorts! I'm not trying to argue that this is right, but if Disney really had a problem with this, they would crackdown on the issue. Most likely, the people who use these mugs return to Disney regularly. For each of these families, there's probably two who just bought the new mugs. Is Disney losing money? Absoultely. Is it worth the trouble to enforce this rule? Probably not.

Mikester71

I wish the new mugs had a more "Disney WORLD" feel to them....maybe pictures of the 4 icons or something. There's an idea....4 different mugs, each themed w/1 of the 4 icons. <snip>

LOVE this idea...I know I would definitely want all four of them!!! :sohappy:

flavious27

At some point of time, however, I believe the mug policy was that you were able to use the mug on any subsequent trip to the resort. For instance, our family bought 2 All Star Sports mugs in 2006. Now, during the time of purchase and today the rule has changed. But, to each its own.

However, I saw people during our stay at POFQ in December using mugs from the 90s from other resorts! I'm not trying to argue that this is right, but if Disney really had a problem with this, they would crackdown on the issue. Most likely, the people who use these mugs return to Disney regularly. For each of these families, there's probably two who just bought the new mugs. Is Disney losing money? Absoultely. Is it worth the trouble to enforce this rule? Probably not.

I get mad when guests use non disney mugs, like the coach at all stars that was filling up a 32oz patriots jug.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom