Picture Challenge - Rare Things

jato4x4

094.jpg

LoriMistress

One of the rare things DH and I saw back in '07 was the draw bridge up at Epcot (in the WS), and seeing "The World" being placed in the middle of the lagoon.

WelcometoWDW552.jpg

WelcometoWDW553.jpg

WelcometoWDW554.jpg

WelcometoWDW555.jpg

WelcometoWDW556.jpg

gerryu21220

okay so this has nothing to do Disney, but it is a very funny story..I saw a building like this last year in Houston and was talking to my MIL on the phone at the time and said "the construction guys are even getting into the spirit of Christmas..they put a Christmas tree up on top of a building"..uhm no, they do that when the building reaches a certain stage and it's called "treeded"..lol..

Well, not exactly. It's an old tradition to put a tree on the top-most floor of a building under construction to show passers-by that this is the top floor, or how tall the finished building will be. I have no clue how this tradition started, but probably from construction workers growing weary of being asked "how tall will it be?"

ScorpionX

These seem very rare to me. These characters were used when Epcot Center didn't allow traditional Disney characters into World Showcase.
picture.php

And yes, I have posted this before!
These costumes were previously used in the Magic Kingdom's America on Parade, which ran in 1975, and 1976. America on Parade was a parade created for America's bicentennial.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, not exactly. It's an old tradition to put a tree on the top-most floor of a building under construction to show passers-by that this is the top floor, or how tall the finished building will be. I have no clue how this tradition started, but probably from construction workers growing weary of being asked "how tall will it be?"
Wasn`t it a Chinese tradition? Called topping out?

Tid bit - SSE had 2 of them; a topping out when the tallest girder was inplace, and a bottoming out with the last Alucobond pannel since they were added from the top down.

disney dharling

My understanding is that is a tradition of Native Americans that no building should be higher than the top of a tree. So when they put the last floor on they always put a tree on top so at least for a while this is true.

DisneyNut7578

Well then, here's another shot taken only moments before. I like this one because the maintenance guys inside have their harnesses on. You can see metal rings where they'd probably latch onto a yo-yo or safety line if they were to walk out on a beam. Also, hard to see under the nose cone of the monorail cab but that's one mega-size hook they got there!

monorailtow.jpg

EDIT: Closer look. I think the guys are tied off inside the cab.
I've heard of these things, but have never actually seen them. Now I have proof they exist!!!

Edeyore

What can I tell ya. Of all the years I've gone, I have not seen anything like that. Don't see things like that in the north east.

I am from New Hampshire and I don't have a picture, but we found a Palmetto bug in our room at the Polynesian last trip. Think large cockroach looking creature. The front desk told us it happens all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom