Pics of the Old North Wing being demo

Vernonpush

I'm pretty sure they opened with the hotel in 1971.

The wings were completed before the tower. Though open by the end of Ocotber 1971, the complete resort was finished by Spring 1972.
Thanks, I've always thought that the north and south wings were afterthoughts to increase rooms at the CR. When we rode by, in 1971, on the tram from the parking lot all I really remember were the topiaries and Tower, :lol: .

metscool

Original Poster
Hi all. I am going to try to get some more pictures tomorrow when I go to the parks again. I will try to put them on this thread tomorrow night after I get home from the club.

Figment1986

conmsidering the playground for the north wing used to be a pool, i would figure the garden wings came after the tower, also they have/had brick while the tower has concrete...

drnilescrane

conmsidering the playground for the north wing used to be a pool, i would figure the garden wings came after the tower, also they have/had brick while the tower has concrete...
No, they have definatly been there since the beggining - These photos from bigfloridacontry.com (I would credit the Book itself it it was on the site) only serve to prove the Wings existance in 1971

kaos

so long north wing... so many memories of our "garden" view room (also known as the moveable metallic garden)

What is going to happen to the raquet club?

Courtman

Here is a photo we took of the Contemporary when we flew over on January 31st in a Cessna, we'd seen the building work from the monorail previously but it was only when we got home that we noticed part of the North Wing was already partly demolished!

Got loads more aerial WDW pics, will try and put them up somewhere when I get a chance!

contemp.jpg

Scooter

Great arial photo!!

Judging from this photo, and from a Feng Shui prospective, this is really going to throw the Contemporary Resort out of balance.
I predict bad things will happen to those who choose to stay in any building built on The North Garden Wings old site.
My family has stayed at The Contemporary Resort at least ten times, but we won't be staying there anymore...unless it's in the Main building..preferably on the Concierge level.:lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`d say judging from the concept art this is really going to throw the Contemporary Resort out of balance too!

Teenchy

Great arial photo!!

Judging from this photo, and from a Feng Shui prospective, this is really going to throw the Contemporary Resort out of balance.
I predict bad things will happen to those who choose to stay in any building built on The North Garden Wings old site.
My family has stayed at The Contemporary Resort at least ten times, but we won't be staying there anymore...unless it's in the Main building..preferably on the Concierge level.:lookaroun

Great photo thanks

Not that I believe in Feng Shui but does that mean the old North Wing building was out of balance??(Becasue of its location?) Did bad things happen to those who stayed there before?

I would agree that from the concept art that it might be off balance to me because of the size of the proposed building and the fact that I'm afraid it will take away from the original A-Frame structure. Only time will tell...fingers crossed that its a good addition...plus I'm a DVC member:D .

Scooter

Great photo thanks

Not that I beleive in Feng Shui but does that mean the old North Wing building was out of balance??(Becasue of its location?) Did bad things happen to those who stayed there before?

If you notice, in the photo, the North and South wings balance each other out, that is, they are both just about about the same size and dimensions. Feng Shui is about balance... and balance equals harmony. The balance will be lost when the North wing is gone, and depending on the new structures size and shape, the balance may be gone forever. No balance...no harmony...no harmony...no positive energy flow. No positive energy flow...well...who knows.

It doesn't really matter if you do or do not believe in Feng Shui/balance and/or harmony. I just know as a believer, and an amateur artist, balance is important is all aspects of life.

If fires break out, or pipes start bursting, or people start jumping (or accidently falling) off of balconies after the new building is built and open...don't say I didn't warn you.:lookaroun :lol:

Teenchy

or people start jumping (or accidently falling) off of balconies after the new building is built and open...don't say I didn't warn you.:lookaroun :lol:

I'll post and let you know how it is after my first stay in the new tower...or maybe not....:lookaroun

ToTBellHop

now all they need to do is remove the south garden wing and restore the balance. If not, I predict the next Sith Lord will come from the 16th floor of the new tower.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you notice, in the photo, the North and South wings balance each other out...
Not neing picky, but the North and South wings never balanced eachother out. That was one thing that always struck me as a kid. They wern`t symmetrical, unlike the rest of the resorts appearence.

Construction Foreman, circa 1970 - "...what do you mean they built a canal where the southern most block is meant to be??"

jeffb

IMHO, quite a bit of the balance, harmony, symmetry, etc was lost when they built the convention center in front / right of the Contemporary using a much different architectural style.

Courtman - that is a great aerial picture.

Moustronaut

How are they tearing down the prefabbed rooms? I can't tell from the photo. Are they just knocking the things down in place or are they trying to remove the room unit then knocking down the remaining skeleton.

For those that don't know, the original Poly buildings and Contemporary Tower were built out of prefab rooms that were stacked by crane onto the building's skeleton. Not sure if the wings were built that way too.

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/storyofwdw/WDW page 34 (Large).jpg
http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/storyofwdw/WDW page 40 (Large).jpg

ToTBellHop

looks to me like they are just bulldozing the whole thing. They don't seem to be using any big construction equipment though. They are clearly in no hurry...they could get these shanties down much quicker if they wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom