Photos - Storybook Circus soft opening

JLW11Hi

Did anyone catch the subtle tribute to "Skyleidoscope" on the billboard at Barnstormer (pic 51)?

http://allears.net/tp/ep/skyleido.htm

-Rob

Haha! Wow, what an obscure, awesome reference!

Count me as one who was skeptical of the circus theme who is now pleasantly surprised :).

Though I am confused about the "Fantasyland" station. Looks more like an offshoot of Main Street USA than anything Fantasyland related. Wouldn't it be called "Storybook Circus Station?"

rioriz

DSC00137-L.jpg

Yup Just like Six Flags!

NoChesterHester

Count me as one who was skeptical of the circus theme who is now pleasantly surprised :).

Though I am confused about the "Fantasyland" station. Looks more like an offshoot of Main Street USA than anything Fantasyland related. Wouldn't it be called "Storybook Circus Station?"

A circus came to town, it isn't "permanent" hence Casey Junior. The train station is part of the actual town outside the castle. More permanent and classic looking.

WDW1974

I don't want to say much until I see the area in a couple of days ... and, more importantly, until the entire project is done.

I see lots of enthusiasm here and I sure don't want to urinate on anyone's 1972-era parade.

It sure looks better than what it replaced, so if that's the metric you are going by, then you'll likely be quite happy.

But you're also likely giving Disney credit for basics ... things like detailing ... stuff they've spent a decade plus of taking out of the MK, while they still have it in every other MK-style park in the world.

And nothing here is really added. We have a gussied up Dumbo, next to a gussied up Barnstormer, next to a gussied up restroom complex and a gussied up train station. Does it all look better than Toontown Fair looked? Absolutely. But that isn't a standard that should be used as comparison.

This type of detailing is very basic for every OTHER MK on the planet.

So, my opinion is really no opinion other than ... it looks nice.

Two complaints that come to mind would be I don't see much in the way of shade trees in the area (what does Phil and Co have against shade in FLORIDA??!?!) and I saw paper towel dispensers in the new restrooms and not air blade dryers.

I'll discuss more after I see it in person but ...

~WWoHP it ain't ... and it ain't ever gonna be~

HM GhostHostess

I'm going to wait until everything is open until I give a complete judgement of this new area. However, from the photos and videos I have seen of the soft opening of the Storybook Circus land, I can't help feeling that the Barnstormer now looks . . . plain and bare. I like the little props that are present in the queue, but there aren't that many. The entire attraction, and the queue, are lacking trees and natural shading. The original Barnstormer queue was much more creative, lively, and exciting. Also, I'm going to miss crashing through the barn that had the World of Motion chickens in it. What do we crash through now? A simple billboard. :brick:

As far as the Dumbo attraction goes, I'm not too keen on replicating the spinner. It makes it less "special" to me, I guess. I am going to miss flying on Dumbo right behind Cinderella Castle. That view is still going to be better than the view the new location will provide once the Fantasyland forest is complete. I do, however, like the new details on the spinner, as well as the water feature.

Even though Mickey's Toontown Fair was temporary, I enjoyed the cartoony land. It was a real treat to take a walk through Mickey and Minnie's houses. Mickey's Toontown Fair was the closest thing to a Who Framed Roger Rabbit attraction that the Magic Kingdom was going to get. And I was grateful for it.

On a different note, I absolutely love the new Fantasyland railroad station. The structure is aesthetically pleasing and the details are fantastic. And to top it off, I love the tribute to Walt's Carolwood Pacific.

TP2000

So what does everyone thing of the land so far? What do you like most? What do you dislike?

I like:

• The new train station! Great detailing, neat Carolwood Pacific reference in there, and a really rich look overall.
  • Dumbo! It looks much better, more intricate, and finally flies above the water like the other Dumbo's around the world. I have a good feeling the pre-show inside the tent is going to be great, judging from the exterior.
  • The retheme of Goofy's Barnstormer. This turned out very well, and fits in nicely with the rest of the circus sub-land.

I dislike:

• The new CM uniforms. As I suspected, these uniforms look much better in the WDI sketches using girls with figures like fashion models and boys with physiques like track stars. The reality of these uniforms in real life, on 21st century CM's, is not attractive. Some of the CM's are wearing sweat socks, some are not wearing socks at all, and some have modern undershirts on under their open collar circus shirts. The casually dressed "management" that came out with them to open the land should have spent 10 minutes making sure everyone looked ship-shape for opening day. The not-capris-but-not-shorts style of the bottoms is very odd looking. And what do these kids wear next winter? Flesh-colored long johns? I hope the other New Fantasyland uniforms turn out better than these circus getups.

TP2000

Two complaints that come to mind would be I don't see much in the way of shade trees in the area (what does Phil and Co have against shade in FLORIDA??!?!) and I saw paper towel dispensers in the new restrooms and not air blade dryers.

I just assumed the trees weren't in yet. They've been putting some rather massive old trees into DCA in both Buena Vista Street and Cars Land, so Disney can work wonders with big mature trees in new areas. The lack of trees in Storybook Circus was noticeable in these pics, so I'm thinking they just need to get this area open for spring break crowds and more work with landscaping is yet to come. The crowds that moved into this area within an hour of soft opening were impressive!

And I just love the air blades! The air blades have replaced paper towels in the restrooms in Disneyland/DCA now, and it's a big leap into the 21st century. Is there not just a paper towel option in the Casey Jr. restrooms, and they also have air blades? Or only just paper towels? :confused:

Mansion Butler

Yes as of last May, after a long debate with the unions, WDW has been giving its cast all black shoes to wear to work with a few styles to pick from. It was first mandatory for F&B due to the slip resistant shoe requirements for them, then everyone else followed.
This is incorrect. Cast members in most lines of work still have to buy their own shoes.

jt04

It definitely seems to be the point that this is an extension of MSUSA. I find this to be encouraging and full of potential. I agree with others that the circus elements left over from the previous design needs to go. Especially the circus tent covering the water tank. The signage could change rather easily too. Again I think they are holding a lot back.

A circus came to town, it isn't "permanent" hence Casey Junior. The train station is part of the actual town outside the castle. More permanent and classic looking.

I disagree that the train station is playing this role so to speak. I am anticipating there is much more to be revealed in the near future as the story unfolds. And we are only getting this glimpse because they desperately need the capacity of Dumbo and Barnstormer.

PS- This is not the potter swatter and was never meant to be. It is much closer to Legoland in its DNA. I am more convinced of that than ever.

jt04

Just to add, here is some 'proof' that not all has been revealed with respect to the train station.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCoQCxsbc9o&feature=related

Note the large doors on the north side of the building, the set of double doors facing the train, and especially the turnstyles that are there for some reason.

If I was guessing I would say this is going to be retail for those boarding the train back to MSUSA. I was hoping for a lobby to accept those arriving from MSUSA but that seems unlikely at this point.

jjharvpro

Just to add, here is some 'proof' that not all has been revealed with respect to the train station.....

Note the large doors on the north side of the building, the set of double doors facing the train, and especially the turnstyles that are there for some reason.

If I was guessing I would say this is going to be retail for those boarding the train back to MSUSA. I was hoping for a lobby to accept those arriving from MSUSA but that seems unlikely at this point.

Yes!! I kept wondering why this wasn't open yet! It's intriguing and makes me want to go inside, but I guess not yet? Maybe still building inside or just waiting to unveil when more of SBC is open?

jt04

Yes!! I kept wondering why this wasn't open yet! It's intriguing and makes me want to go inside, but I guess not yet? Maybe still building inside or just waiting to unveil when more of SBC is open?

Exactly and those judging this area harshly are doing so way to soon. It appears whatever is in that large space is just not completed yet but I would expect it to be on par with the new Mickey M&G shop on Main Street with respect to quality and detail. If it is a shop that is. Not sure.

WDWFREAK53

Couldn't those just be faux fronts? Wouldn't that just be the wall to the bathrooms?
I don't imagine those doors opening...I think what we see is what we get.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Barnstormers track looks brand new, not sure what you are talking about?? It was stripped and repainted anew color during the refurb......

If you look at picture 45 (front row view from the barnstormer), I think you might reconsider that "looks brand new" statement. It looks worn and rusty for something that just opened, in that picture at least. Maybe the rest of the track looks a lot better.

I will hold off on my opinion of the area until it is completely finished and will try not to be too judgmental.

I think the new train station looks really nice, with the exception of the water tower and the old ToonTown shed. It's definitely a huge step up from the old station, that's for sure. I really like the concrete work throughout the mini land. I think that is a really nice touch. However, I am not really a big fan of the CM costumes.

I am really looking forward to seeing Storybook Circus when it is completely finished. I'm sure they were really pressed to get this area open for the spring break crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom