Photos - Storybook Circus soft opening

COProgressFan

I think what has opened so far looks AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to see it in person.

Really? "AMAZING"? I mean, it looks pretty nice, and certainly a good deal nicer than what was there previously. But I don't really see how anything earth shattering here. Especially at this point, when the rest of of Toontown and FL is still walled off.

When the whole project is complete, perhaps it very well could be "AMAZING" but I'm not sure it's at that point yet (if it ever will be).

TP2000

Completely agree about the costumes. While they look great (of course) in the concept drawings, they look pretty sloppy on many of the CMs in photos. I agree, you would think the managers opening up the land would make sure everyone looked put together, but CM appearance is usually not addressed much anymore. From what I could tell, many of the sunglasses the CMs were wearing certainly didn't not conform to "the Disney look", but clearly no one seemed to care.

I noticed the CM's big bug-eye blackout sunglasses too.

I was trying to not be too down on the CM's in their new circus uniforms, but the reality is that almost all of them just look sloppy and unpolished.

Details like big sunglasses, socks or no socks, fit and sizing, sloppy undershirts, boys who desperately need a barber or at least some product, and lazy hairdos or hairdonts on the girls all seem to have gone unnoticed by the swarms of managers shown wandering the new land.

No one seems to be minding the details. And it makes you wonder what all those managers are doing there wandering around in their Dockers and casual shirts? I would love it if there was an App that popped up in the pictures or videos that showed exactly what each manager's title was and what they were responsible for. Apparently showmanship and CM grooming isn't part of their job description? :lookaroun

TP2000

Exactly and those judging this area harshly are doing so way to soon. It appears whatever is in that large space is just not completed yet but I would expect it to be on par with the new Mickey M&G shop on Main Street with respect to quality and detail. If it is a shop that is. Not sure.

I agree. That space in the new train station is too big to hold just the restrooms, which aren't large and seem to be contained in the front wing of the station.

The big sets of double doors in the mid-portion of the building clearly seem to be there for something else. A shop? An exhibit? Some sort of Xpass or Next Generation facility? Who knows, but it's too much space for just the restrooms.

TP2000

Would someone please remind me who the (Kiddie Coaster) Barnstormer and (Kiddie) Dumbo ride are geared for? Is it the kids or the adults? I don't think my 8 year old is going to be riding Goofini and complaining because you can see the dumbo ride.

“You're dead if you aim only for kids.” -Walt Disney

One of my favorite Walt quotes. It speaks volumes.

mets7

Really? "AMAZING"? I mean, it looks pretty nice, and certainly a good deal nicer than what was there previously. But I don't really see how anything earth shattering here. Especially at this point, when the rest of of Toontown and FL is still walled off.

When the whole project is complete, perhaps it very well could be "AMAZING" but I'm not sure it's at that point yet (if it ever will be).

Let me be more specific......the night time photos of Dumbo (in my opinion) are amazing!!! When I saw them I thought WOW!! As for everything else I thing the details are amazing. And I am a fan of RED so the construction walls look amazing!!:)

TP2000

Great quote.....but does the ability to see the dumbo ride from Goofini REALLY just ruin everything....Really??

It does not ruin "everything". But there's clearly some detailing and follow-up work that still needs to be done. Some details are missing currently.

I'd also need to see it in person. I'm judging this via YouTube, and that rarely equals real life. But what we've seen so far hits some really strong notes in places with the new facilities, and then falls a bit flat around the perimeter. There's also much of this sub-land still to be completed.

A kiddy park wouldn't worry about that stuff. But a Disney park should.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

I was trying to not be too down on the CM's in their new circus uniforms, but the reality is that almost all of them just look sloppy and unpolished.

Details like big sunglasses, socks or no socks, fit and sizing, sloppy undershirts, boys who desperately need a barber or at least some product, and lazy hairdos or hairdonts on the girls all seem to have gone unnoticed by the swarms of managers shown wandering the new land.

No one seems to be minding the details. And it makes you wonder what all those managers are doing there wandering around in their Dockers and casual shirts? I would love it if there was an App that popped up in the pictures or videos that showed exactly what each manager's title was and what they were responsible for. Apparently showmanship and CM grooming isn't part of their job description? :lookaroun

You keep going on about the costumes, but I'm really not seeing a problem. There are some HORRENDOUS costumes already in use at both Disneyland and WDW, and these are far from that. Here is a group of 5 of the opening day team at Storybook Circus. I think they look great, and certainly up to Disney standards.

Attachments

• IMG_4040 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_4040 - Version 2.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 143

WDW97

I love it when the LED lights turn pink, it reminds of Pink Elephants on Parade scene from the movie so much!:lol:

lazyboy97o

Try not to be too hard on the Fantasyland folks looks since some of them -- and their loved ones -- are reading.
A lot of the issue could be fixed by Cast Members just picking better fitting sizes. Throughout Walt Disney World it seems that most Cast Members wear at least one size too big. The result is a look across the board that comes across as sloppy.

Reading the gushing positive responses reminds me of a destitute tribe in Africa. They go days without food and when someone comes out there to feed them some rice or something very basic they tear up with desparate gratitude and have no idea that a world exists where all kinds of food (real Disney quality themeing and rich entertainment experiences) is available in abudance and that their government (TDO/Disney corporate) is keeping them poor and needy.

LOL okay I know that was a bit dramatic but I feel like I need to get the point across that we have yet to see a really exciting Disney attraction open in Orlando since Tower Of Terror! We have seen some decent ones like Tough to Be A Bug or Safari but nothing that stands out - Disney is way behind and this new land is another reminder of that.
It may be dramatic, but it makes the point well.

Wow. The amount of negativity here is amazing sometimes. Do you guys own stock in Comcast or something? So far we have one NEW dumbo opened and the Barnstormer. The overall theming of the area is much better IMO and we haven't even gotten close to the real juicy parts of FLE.
whylightbulb works in the industry. His view is one that is growing amongst designers throughout the industry. Disney's work is hardly that of the industry leader that they once were, and it only looks worse when one sees how much money they spend to get barely average results.

HOLY COW!!!!

Would someone please remind me who the (Kiddie Coaster) Barnstormer and (Kiddie) Dumbo ride are geared for? Is it the kids or the adults? I don't think my 8 year old is going to be riding Goofini and complaining because you can see the dumbo ride.
Just because little kids are there is meaningless. They are not the only ones experiencing the space. Is Disney family entertainment or childish entertainment? If it is childish, then yes, things that little kids do not notice, think about or care about can be given a pass, but family entertainment means that it is about something for all and areas geared towards a younger set need to be infused to elements that reach so that the spaces 1) do not talk down to the children and 2) there is something there for the older family members.

jt04

Couldn't those just be faux fronts? Wouldn't that just be the wall to the bathrooms?
I don't imagine those doors opening...I think what we see is what we get.

As much as I want there to be more to the bathroom area, I just don't think the doors lead anywhere. I think they were added for theming to make it feel more like a carriage house/luggage house at an old train station. Also, notice the attention to detail to the luggage carts and suitcases on either side of the doors. If the doors open, those details would be lost and the theming would be wasted. Pretty sure what we are seeing is just a facade and the turnstiles are there for just the riders. Overall, I am loving the new area.

I would agree here but there are two or three sets of unthemed double doors facing the train platform that also seem to connect to the space in question. The overhead aerial shots show the building to be three sections by my estimation. The train platform with roof overhang, the bathroom area (roundhouse) and the third area which is the structure that is a greenish color and has the higher elevation including skylights, which are lit at night I might add.

They also seem to be routing guests away from this platform and the associated doors for now and the area is protected by rails and turnstyles. Those turnstyles have to be more than decoration. It appears to me those doors will be exits onto the platform for loading guests eventually. The turnstyles appear to be for guests exiting the structure in question who want to return to the circus area as they will then merge with the train unloading ramp. Just my best guess without seeing the configuration in person.

whylightbulb

whylightbulb works in the industry. His view is one that is growing amongst designers throughout the industry. Disney's work is hardly that of the industry leader that they once were, and it only looks worse when one sees how much money they spend to get barely average results.
You are correct in that I'm not alone in my opinions...not by a long shot. I'd say the majority of "old timers" that I've talked with, the ones that trained under the legends such as John Hench, Marc Davis etc., are thoroughly disgusted or at least tepid with the product coming out of WDI for WDW. I realize there are some that have been vocal online and remain somewhat policical but when you talk to them privately the truth comes out. The reaction we are seeing to this mediocre redo of Toontown is one of the reasons TDO will continue to deliver mediocre product. Is it better than WDW Toontown? It is in some ways but in other ways I think the jury is still out until we see the full product.

HMButler79

Seeing how many discussions and writeups they can give for Safety

whylightbulb

Wow. The amount of negativity here is amazing sometimes. Do you guys own stock in Comcast or something? So far we have one NEW dumbo opened and the Barnstormer. The overall theming of the area is much better IMO and we haven't even gotten close to the real juicy parts of FLE.
That's the problem - there are no juicy parts from what I've seen. I was involved in the bidding process for Mermaid and I've also ridden the one in California. Nothing juicy there. The BATB restaurant looks like it might be nice but certainly nothing cutting edge and certainly nowhere near as nice as it could be. Everything I've seen on the Snow White coaster looks average. Judging from everyones reactions you'd think Disney just opened Mysterious Island in Florida. That's a place you could spend an entire day just soaking in the details. But this...I saw everything I needed to in about five minutes.

I don't believe we are being negative - just realists. Universal is not perfect but at least they are stepping up their game while Disney continues to set new lows or at best maintains the low status quo. That doesn't make me happy one bit. I'd love to see Disney introduce something that will make the new Potter expansion look like Romper Room. Heck I'd probably get quite a bit of work out of it.

peachykeen

Disney costume sizes are the craziest there are. It is nearly impossible to find a costume that fits perfectly these days. If the arms are the right length, the shirt is too short. If the chest fits perfectly, then the neck is too big. Your pants might fit you perfectly at the waist, but are either too long or too short at the ankles. And every combo in between. It's rare to find a perfect set, and when I do, I keep it and launder it myself! Almost all Cast look frumpy in their costumes, but it's not really their fault (and trust me if you saw some in their regular clothes, they are ANYTHING but frumpy :eek:, so it's not that they chose or like to wear strange sizes). They have been altered and repaired so many times that their original shape or size is way off. You can turn in a costume with a huge stain on it, a ripped sleeve, and buttons missing, then go back in the next week and it's just been cleaned and put back on the shelf with none of the flaws fixed!

I always like to look good in my costume, but I am often let down by the selection and quality of costumes that are available to me, unfortunately.

jt04

You are correct in that I'm not alone in my opinions...not by a long shot. I'd say the majority of "old timers" that I've talked with, the ones that trained under the legends such as John Hench, Marc Davis etc., are thoroughly disgusted or at least tepid with the product coming out of WDI for WDW. I realize there are some that have been vocal online and remain somewhat policical but when you talk to them privately the truth comes out. The reaction we are seeing to this mediocre redo of Toontown is one of the reasons TDO will continue to deliver mediocre product. Is it better than WDW Toontown? It is in some ways but in other ways I think the jury is still out until we see the full product.

So what did/do they think of Birthdayland, CMM, the gutted Back Lot tour, Dinorama, the value resorts....etc etc? Sorry but compared to all those and other examples I definitely see the FLE and Carsland as an improved product.

Now if we see argressive pro-growth, business friendly policies return to our shores that create real robust economic growth then and only then will we see another EPCOT Center-esque project realized.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I would agree here but there are two or three sets of unthemed double doors facing the train platform that also seem to connect to the space in question. The overhead aerial shots show the building to be three sections by my estimation. The train platform with roof overhang, the bathroom area (roundhouse) and the third area which is the structure that is a greenish color and has the higher elevation including skylights, which are lit at night I might add.

They also seem to be routing guests away from this platform and the associated doors for now and the area is protected by rails and turnstyles. Those turnstyles have to be more than decoration. It appears to me those doors will be exits onto the platform for loading guests eventually. The turnstyles appear to be for guests exiting the structure in question who want to return to the circus area as they will then merge with the train unloading ramp. Just my best guess without seeing the configuration in person.

I was just looking at this video with a much larger crowd at the train station. You can see them using the area near the side double doors of the station as well as the area between the building and the track beyond the turnstiles.

I also found this picture of one of the back doors open. This appears to just be a utility space, maybe fire related because of the signs next to it.

In this video you can see the north side door open, but I can't make out what is in there.

Finally it appears that there are 5 restrooms in the building, 2 mens, 2 womens and a family restroom which I think would take up most of that building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom