News PHOTOS - Prince Charming Regal Carrousel behind scrims for refurbishment

tl77

The full-cover scrim has been there since February.
http://blogmickey.com/2018/02/photos-prince-charming-regal-carrousel-exterior-refurbishment/

The problem is not that work is being done, the issue is that it seems to be taking an unnecessarily long time. Upkeep is good, but I don't understand why this is taking so long. This is the same case with the Main Street buildings. Yes I expect some basic upkeep on a facade every few years, but it truly feels like they're dragging the work out for an excessively longer amount of time compared to how long they used to put scrims up for.

Back in the 1980's, when they still had a 3rd shift that did maintenance when the parks were closed, you never saw scrims like this anywhere. Although there were few parks with less attractions to maintain in those days, and in the winter months, or "the off season", the parks closed earlier so they had more time for maintenance... and it was also much less expensive to go to Disney World in those days too, not sure what the problem is now.

I think at least at the Magic Kingdom they should go back to having some type of "third shift maintenance", or just in the highest traffic areas like Main Street and Fantasyland. It is the number 1 vacation destination on planet Earth after all, which also makes it perpetually busy, and with what they charge everyone to get in, and all the "up charge events", it seems like they could afford to keep the place "neat and pretty" like the boss would have wanted

I am Timmy

The full-cover scrim has been there since February.
http://blogmickey.com/2018/02/photos-prince-charming-regal-carrousel-exterior-refurbishment/

The problem is not that work is being done, the issue is that it seems to be taking an unnecessarily long time. Upkeep is good, but I don't understand why this is taking so long. This is the same case with the Main Street buildings. Yes I expect some basic upkeep on a facade every few years, but it truly feels like they're dragging the work out for an excessively longer amount of time compared to how long they used to put scrims up for.
Well, when there is only two guys painting in the whole of MK at any given time............

Monorail_Red_77

Today doesn't show much going on. I don't understand why it's so oversized.
View attachment 275680
It is because they are doing refurb work on the outer canopy of the carousel. They need also to have scaffolding up around the canopy as well so they can work on it. This is why it looks huge. At least at this point, the carousel itself does not appear to be in the refurb process. You would have the same visual effect if they were working on the canopy of the Tea Cups.

Monorail_Red_77

You guys are getting slow. That has been up for months around the carousel.
LOL. Here's a pic I took back on Feb 25th.

IMG_7169.JPG

Goofyernmost

Back in the 1980's, when they still had a 3rd shift that did maintenance when the parks were closed, you never saw scrims like this anywhere. Although there were few parks with less attractions to maintain in those days, and in the winter months, or "the off season", the parks closed earlier so they had more time for maintenance... and it was also much less expensive to go to Disney World in those days too, not sure what the problem is now.

I think at least at the Magic Kingdom they should go back to having some type of "third shift maintenance", or just in the highest traffic areas like Main Street and Fantasyland. It is the number 1 vacation destination on planet Earth after all, which also makes it perpetually busy, and with what they charge everyone to get in, and all the "up charge events", it seems like they could afford to keep the place "neat and pretty" like the boss would have wanted
Back in the 80's that stuff was relatively new. Just a sprucing up of paint and be on their way. After 40 plus years in the Florida heat and humidity a lot of that wood structure needs to be replaced. Not the same problems. They require much more intensive work to get back in shape. Paint will not cover rot and bug damage which is part of nature and cannot be avoided completely. To my knowledge they still do have a third shift, but, the repairs needed in many cases require a lot more then overnight repairs.

Last edited:

jakeman

Saw this around 2 weeks ago... not news
Yes, it's been behind scrims since mid-February
Yeah, old news honestly. This was a friend’s post from Feb 21stView attachment 275563
You guys are getting slow. That has been up for months around the carousel.
LOL. Here's a pic I took back on Feb 25th.

View attachment 275783
You guys should all start a website.

I don't think www.betterthanwdwmagic.com is taken.

;)

Captain Barbossa

So @wdwmagic just now creates a thread about a refurb that's been going on for over a month and they're now "slow"? Ok, they made one little mistake, but that doesn't give anyone the right to start bad mouthing the rest of the site. I can promise you that @wdwmagic is anything but slow. They are always the first to report when there is any news, not just involving WDW, but the entire Disney Company, no matter how big or small it is. If other people were so concerned with the scrims being around the carousel, maybe they should have started a thread about it a while back. Also, did it cross anyone's mind that @wdwmagic intended this thread to be an update of the work taking place so we can see what's going on? :eek: Anyways, people are quick to judge when something is not convenient for them or if they aren't getting what they want. Solution? DO IT YOURSELF!!!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Of course not.

My neighbor has an orange tree and that me me an expert.

I also had a tangerine tree in my backyard growing up.

Combine those two factors and pretty much gives me all knowledge on citrus fruit.;)

This made me laugh. A lot. :hilarious::hilarious:

Given the events of the past 6 months, a tight construction labor market in FL would not shock me at all this year.

Kman101

Not that I know all the specifics, but my new neighbor has been building his house for quite a long time and just recently started wrapping it up. They're STILL working on the inside. I have no doubts it could have been completed long ago. He's a contractor so I imagine the slower pace was his own doing, at times, but he's talked about a lot of the same problems. (I of course am in Florida) But stretched thin is an understatement. It honestly felt like a Disney project ;) we all had been wondering how long it would take to get it done ... lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not that I know all the specifics, but my new neighbor has been building his house for quite a long time and just recently started wrapping it up. They're STILL working on the inside. I have no doubts it could have been completed long ago. He's a contractor so I imagine the slower pace was his own doing, at times, but he's talked about a lot of the same problems. (I of course am in Florida) But stretched thin is an understatement. It honestly felt like a Disney project ;) we all had been wondering how long it would take to get it done ... lol
That is a pretty common story.

I did the engineering on a roughly 2500 square foot single family home roughly 3 years ago that was being put together by an owner/builder. At that time the lot was cleared and he was ready to go. I was at the site last January and all he had up were the exterior block walls.

I am sure his neighbors are thrilled.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom