News PHOTOS - Prince Charming Regal Carrousel behind scrims for refurbishment

Castle Cake Apologist

It's strange to me that people freak out about "sight line infractions" and "value engineered" attractions, but then see the scrims as "a good thing", to me me it all the same thing. They all ruin the illusion of this immersive fantasy world that you've payed to come see. If you went to a movie and there was a scene that was "supposed" to be a big action/adventure special effects scene, but instead a title came up on screen that said "this action scene is being refurbished for you future enjoyment, make sure to get this movie on Blu Ray to see what you're missing right now" ...I don't think people would stand for that.

I think someone should start a thread every time a scrim goes up on Main Street, every time they ruin the illusion of the 1900's Town at the entrance to the park, some should make a note of that, just like some always posts something every time an effect in a ride isn't working, because it's not "a good thing"

I'm not sure if this post is serious or not...

Bad sightlines and poorly designed attractions are absolutely avoidable. Regular maintanence on buildings quickly approaching 50 years old is not.

People think that the scrims are good because Disney makes the effort to make the scrim blend in while also hiding necessary unsightly maintenance work. Most other theme parks (and especially amusement parks) just throw a wall around the area to be worked on and call it a day.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
No the stuff with the scrims started about 20-25 years ago when they cut the budgets on third shift, they also got rid of the unique menus at all the restaurants on property around the same time, both were cost cutting measures. The only thing they do regularly in the over night hours now is cleaning/street sweeping, and putting up the different holiday decorations

There's scrims around the carousel every few years now, and there is almost always one building on main street behind scrims. If the Florida weather is so harsh on these buildings then the need to "replace" whatever that problem material is instead of constantly "refurbishing" it. I can't ever remember seeing scrims around the buildings on Hollywood Boulevard at DHS, is there something vastly different about the buildings on Hollywood Boulevard and Main Street? They are both the entrance ways to each park, the first thing the guest see shouldn't be scrims because the buildings are rotting. The whole purpose of this WDW resort is to immerse the guests into these different fantasy worlds, and the carousel the centerpiece of Fantasyland, there's nothing magical about riding a carousel that looks like it's wrapped up in a fumigation tent
The parks also closed a lot earlier. I remember going in October in the 80s and the MK closed at 7 or 8. Or in Feb and it closed at 6 PM (!!)

21stamps

Well, I grew a pineapple from a cutting once, but that doesn't make me Hawai'ian...
I tried this in Ohio. It didn’t work here. :(

However, while at a Cub Scout meeting a few weeks ago, we did learn how to grow a sweet potato from an existing sweet potato.. I had better hopes for than one.

matt9112

Sounds very familiar, lol. We couldn't believe how long it was taking. Often I'd see crews working on weekends and in the evenings, and many weeks nothing would be going on. I imagine a lot of days during the week they were doing other projects. I didn't get too invasive talking to him, lol, I didn't want it to seem like I was complaining about the pace of the building.

I repoured my fence with new posts just last week from Irma. talk about lazy haha.

21stamps

It might work if you put the pineapple in a 80° room with 80% humidity and high-UV lights for 12 hours a day.

Or, you could just move back to Florida.
I’ll save the money on electricity and pass on that one.

If it snows on Monday then I may start making plans to fly back south. Enough is Enough.

tl77

The parks also closed a lot earlier. I remember going in October in the 80s and the MK closed at 7 or 8. Or in Feb and it closed at 6 PM (!!)
Yeah they closed at dusk in the winter months back then and didn't have anything along the lines of the Halloween and Christmas Parties. There's a lot more to do now, and it's open year round with pretty good sized crowds all year, but for some reason they don't seem to reinvest that extra income into park maintenance like they used to.

tl77

I'm not sure if this post is serious or not...

Bad sightlines and poorly designed attractions are absolutely avoidable. Regular maintanence on buildings quickly approaching 50 years old is not.

People think that the scrims are good because Disney makes the effort to make the scrim blend in while also hiding necessary unsightly maintenance work. Most other theme parks (and especially amusement parks) just throw a wall around the area to be worked on and call it a day.

Why are the constantly "repairing" the 50 year old buildings is stead of "replacing" them? The Dumbo ride has been there, for nearly 50 years, exposed to the Florida weather, but there have been at least 3 different versions of it that I can think of... they've completely replace all the materials on that entire ride multiple times of the years, instead of re-welding and patching up the original from 1971

"All" amusement parks where I live in the north east, are closed from Halloween to Memorial Day, that's when they do maintenance, so they never have walls up or attractions down

and I'm serious in case you still can't tell

EricsBiscuit

It's true that this scrim has been up around the carousel for a couple months now.

Regarding why nobody else created a thread about it... I don't think anybody reported on it because it's not a big deal at all. The scrim started out plain and ugly and eventually had a design painted onto it. The ride is still operating with the scrim around it. Now everybody is caught up.

We don't start a thread every time a scrim goes on up on Main Street, so I don't know why this would have been different.
I created a thread even before the scrims were up, when the little golden spire up top was missing. And it is a big deal.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Why are the constantly "repairing" the 50 year old buildings is stead of "replacing" them? The Dumbo ride has been there, for nearly 50 years, exposed to the Florida weather, but there have been at least 3 different versions of it that I can think of... they've completely replace all the materials on that entire ride multiple times of the years, instead of re-welding and patching up the original from 1971

"All" amusement parks where I live in the north east, are closed from Halloween to Memorial Day, that's when they do maintenance, so they never have walls up or attractions down

and I'm serious in case you still can't tell
So what are you proposing? That Disney shut down for half the year?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Carrousel hasn’t changed in the weeks I’ve been down here. Same skim still up last night hiding progress

What is new is this wall box next to Carrousel on the new FLE side Was anything ever there. Short walls green skim cover but pretty large area
8351AB94-FAED-4B23-9863-6AFA1CB86DC4.jpeg
BDABA4AE-A92F-4A73-AEF2-0A055B065562.jpeg

trainplane3

Carrousel hasn’t changed in the weeks I’ve been down here. Same skim still up last night hiding progress

What is new is this wall box next to Carrousel on the new FLE side Was anything ever there. Short walls green skim cover but pretty large areaView attachment 281668View attachment 281671
I think someone mentioned that green box about a week or so ago.

Anyways, what could it be? Concrete work? Cutting open the ground to get access to water lines? Excavating the tomb where Walt's frozen body is in the hopes that he'll give them money as a way of "thanks" for freeing him? Or maybe Horizons is trying to get revenge by opening a sinkhole under the castle? The possibilities are endless!

That went off the rails.

Kman101

Any particular reasons why this is seemingly taking so long? Are there problems occuring? Do they just not feel the need to rush? Not complaining, just genuinely wondering what's going on. I know some have said it was Irma related but I'm not asking why work is being done, but why it's *seeming* to drag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom