Photos and Video - New UK Pavilion band - The English Channel

inluvwithbeast

I asked the same thing, sort of, in a thread about ADR's, meal plans, and holding back some tables at TS restaurants for walk up diners. Master Yoda made a good point and regardless if I agreed, it was true. "Why give up a sure thing for a possible thing". The old band formula worked, why change it? I'm don't really care what they use, but when you are in the business to make money, why change a formula that is already a proven success?

Maybe Disney thought it wasn't working? Maybe they thought it was time to bring in a band, now that TBI left, that played songs that were more relatable to the younger crowds, who are now growing older and having families. This actually reminds me of radio station here in town. They advertise themselves as playing "The New Generation of Classic Rock" and they play all the songs The English Channel played along with bands like Styx and Nirvana (I hear Nirvana all over the place these days) etc. They have little station plugs that say "This isn't your dad's classic rock" or "Not the music that was popular when you were in diapers." Although it seems to me that Led Zeppelin is a bit older than the other bands they play, they still get a whole lot of air time.

Maybe Disney was well-aware of what they were doing when they made the change? Maybe?

Btw, strat, I looove Stevie Ray.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
And Ive just realised its several posts since I said how much I dont like the Beatles or their tribute acts.

And Off Kilter just perpetuate racial stereotypes

stratman50th

I'm not familiar with Son House or the Three Kings, but the rest of them are American blues musicians, many of whom would have inspired Eric Clapton.
(I've never seen the Blues Brothers movie, either!)
My dear, I'm pretty sure you have heard of at least one of the three Kings, BB? The other two are Albert and Freddie

hahahaha, yes, I'm afraid you mis-read or misunderstood those posts--stratman and pumbas had drifted off-topic and were simply noting their own musical preferences and some musicians they admired. Obviously, they are both fans of the blues. ;) I just thought your question deserved an answer. :wave:
She is correct, we unfortunately had our own side conversation going and Tiggerish did a nice job of explaining things. For that I apologize. Thanks and sorry to confuse you. Although many of the American blues artists were a major influence on a lot of the 60's British bands, most notably The Rolling Stones.
I could go on with a blues artist history lesson, but have already jacked the thread enough.

You all really should give the original Blues Brothers movie a look. It's a musical and an amazing trip through the world of Rhythm and Blues, and Blues. It's goofy, but the music is great!

Wilt Dasney

No, the rest is passing judgment on a band who is all of two days into their shows at WDW.....

(Disclaimer: The following is genuinely intended with every ounce of good will and whatever degree of rational judgment I may or may not possess.) :D

I don't see how this is a problem.

Why shouldn't people express their opinion of an entertainment product Disney is providing — a group giving actual performances, today? Granted, some aspects of the show might change in the future...but that's true of absolutely anything at WDW. All we have to go on for anything is what's there at the moment.

So when you say people are judging the band, it's true...but they're just judging them based on what they are at the moment.

If people had started criticizing them before they started playing, then I'd understand the implication that people are being irrationally critical. But for better or for worse, they're out there now. They're not practicing. They're not performing for small groups after hours. They're doing live shows at Epcot. Criticism seems totally in bounds to me. :shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
(Disclaimer: The following is genuinely intended with every ounce of good will and whatever degree of rational judgment I may or may not possess.) :D

I don't see how this is a problem.

Why shouldn't people express their opinion of an entertainment product Disney is providing — a group giving actual performances, today? Granted, some aspects of the show might change in the future...but that's true of absolutely anything at WDW. All we have to go on for anything is what's there at the moment.

So when you say people are judging the band, it's true...but they're just judging them based on what they are at the moment.

If people had started criticizing them before they started playing, then I'd understand the implication that people are being irrationally critical. But for better or for worse, they're out there now. They're not practicing. They're not performing for small groups after hours. They're doing live shows at Epcot. Criticism seems totally in bounds to me. :shrug:

If the criticism was about long-established performance sets, perhaps it could be warranted. And if it was utterly without bias, the same could be said. But again, how good were any of the "beloved" groups now performing when they first began, how good was their attire? Three days in, performing for Disney, I have little doubt it will take a little while before this group finds their proverbial "groove."

Wilt Dasney

And if it was utterly without bias, the same could be said.
Is there any such thing as a bias-free opinion? My bias tells me there isn't. :p

But again, how good were any of the "beloved" groups now performing when they first began, how good was their attire? Three days in, performing for Disney, I have little doubt it will take a little while before this group finds their proverbial "groove."

I had the impression these guys had been playing together for a while..that Epcot wasn't their "first rodeo" so to speak. But I hope you're right. :)

ERich2010

this has no say on which band is "better", nor does it relate to this topic much, but this is why i enjoy the Beatles more than Zeppelin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjPAEPFaxoM

thats not to say i dont enjoy LZ, because i really do. but The Beatles will always have a soft spot in my heart.

anyways, that was just an unrelated post. back to the topic at hand. i think the Beatles tribute act just fits this pavilion better than this new cover band. im not saying the new band is bad, i just feel like it lacks a theme or direction. think about the otehr groups at Epcot: Mo-Rockin', Off Kilter, japanese drummers, etc. all of their music has a common thread. same with British Invasion.

but when all is said and done, im not gonna change anything. im a big Beatles fan and that act was a big draw for me. hopefully they'll continue to sell The Beatles merch in the shops though

Pumbas Nakasak

its what you colonials think of as a representation of British music, safe un threatening. Its not what Id choose even if I didnt think the Beatles were crap.

captainkidd

If the criticism was about long-established performance sets, perhaps it could be warranted. And if it was utterly without bias, the same could be said. But again, how good were any of the "beloved" groups now performing when they first began, how good was their attire? Three days in, performing for Disney, I have little doubt it will take a little while before this group finds their proverbial "groove."

With all due respect, do you understand the difference between a tribute band and a cover band? Not trying to sound rude. Some people honestly don't.

TBI was a tribute band.
The English Channel is a cover band.

I can see cover bands playing the same music down the street from my house. Is this based upon only the performances we've seen so far? Of course it is. Who knows? Maybe they'll get mop top haircuts, matching suits and develop British accents. I don't see that happening though.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
With all due respect, do you understand the difference between a tribute band and a cover band? Not trying to sound rude. Some people honestly don't.

TBI was a tribute band.
The English Channel is a cover band.

I can see cover bands playing the same music down the street from my house. Is this based upon only the performances we've seen so far? Of course it is. Who knows? Maybe they'll get mop top haircuts, matching suits and develop British accents. I don't see that happening though.

Yeah, pretty sure I've got the difference down. Not the point however, but thanks for inquiring all the same.

It was one performance. Might want to give them a little more time before bunching up any knickers over their performance....

wannabeBelle

Hi All Just a few thoughts on the new band. I know at least two of the gentlemen in the band have worked in Disney before either as substitutes or with another regular act. I am unaware if either of these two gentlemen worked together before this.
British Channel is their name within Disney, British Airwaves is their name for outside performances. As someone else had said previously, this is common for Disney Bands to do. Mulch, Sweat & Shears uses Los Lawn Boys in all of their gigs outside of Disney plus their CD is done under that name as well.
Hey Pumba, What sterotypes?? I have been a big fan of Off Kilter for a while and hadnt ever noticed anything like that? It is quite possible that I did miss it though, as I may not have paid any attention to it.
In closing, I happen to like the new act a lot. I agree with the theming comments and hope to see that spruced up a bit. I think the music is great and I like the greater variety so I will definitely be going to see them when I am in EPCOT. I am not a musician, but I think I have a pretty good appreciation, so I will leave the technical commentary to others with more knowledge than I. I'll be over by the bandstand checking out the new act!!!! Marie

Pumbas Nakasak

Hey Pumba, What sterotypes?? I have been a big fan of Off Kilter for a while and hadnt ever noticed anything like that? It is quite possible that I did miss it though, as I may not have paid any attention to it.

I was being facetious, in keeping with the tone of the thread, but they do play celtic (god I hate that word) music with bagpipes while wearing a kilt. :animwink: All thats missing is haggis and whisky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom