Photos and Video - New UK Pavilion band - The English Channel

Looks and sounds like something I would expect to find at Six Flags or some other regional amusement park.

Keep wowing me, Disney.

I have to agree with the above statement. I think these guys are fine. In fact, I prefer their set cause I adore some of the bands they covered. Queen, The Clash, and The Police are three of my fave bands. (I love the music of the Beatles too, but EVERYONE covers them.) The band is decent in sound and talent. I have no problem with them. However, I feel as though their look and stage presence aren't really "Disney". At Disney it is all about the theme and these guys don't fit. I also hate that they are singing some of these great songs in a gazebo.

Bottom line....the songs are great (although I wish for a different song from Queen) and the band is pretty good but they need to be tweeked so they fit the pavilion a bit better.

captainkidd

However, I feel as though their look and stage presence aren't really "Disney". At Disney it is all about the theme and these guys don't fit.

This is exactly it, and some people just aren't getting it.

How about they change Off Kilter and have them wear any old shirts and jeans? It would defeat half the point.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Perhaps some people are willing to give this new group more time to refine not only their music, but their ensemble as well......

captainkidd

Perhaps some people are willing to give this new group more time to refine not only their music, but their ensemble as well......

I don't know - You've got one dude who looks like Jack Black, and another who looks like the guy who replaced Steve Perry in Journey.

I think the point is, The British Invasion was a whole experience. I'm not a fan of tribute bands personally, but they were REALLY good. This new band, is simply a cover band. There's a HUGE difference between tribute and cover bands.

This band would be like a fast roller coaster at Disney with absolutely no story line to it.

Pioneer Hall

Because that was the attitude toward Everest, Fantasyland Expansion, Via Napoli, etc., right?

Not everything new is bad. But sometimes, Disney does miss the mark. I think this time, they did.

Actually two of the three items on that list have received a pretty good amount of criticism. There were a lot of complaints about the FLE, especially around Circusland and the Snow White closure. Plenty of people also complain about Via Napoli and their prices as well. I don't remember if there were criticims about everest back when it was announced and opened...it was a while ago at this point, but I would venture to guess there were some as well.

dave&di

Given that one of the popular criticisms of The English Channel is that they cover songs from the likes of Led Zeppelin, this would seem to the case.

Are you saying you don't like Led Zeppelin? I do and they are one of Britains most successful groups, so should be included.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
No thanks, isn't that with Dan Ackroyd? not a fan, are they or aren't they british, are you a british politican!

I'm not familiar with Son House or the Three Kings, but the rest of them are American blues musicians, many of whom would have inspired Eric Clapton.

(I've never seen the Blues Brothers movie, either!)

WDWGoof07

Are you saying you don't like Led Zeppelin? I do and they are one of Britains most successful groups, so should be included.
No, you misunderstood. I was pointing out that it seemed like some people were looking for any excuse to justify hating this band simply because they were not the old band.

Led Zeppelin is great. I love that the new band is putting more emphasis on other great British bands than TBI did. The thought of watching a live band play some Led Zeppelin, The Who, or Pink Floyd, among others, whilst enjoying a beer is very appealing to me.

dave&di

I'm not familiar with Son House or the Three Kings, but the rest of them are American blues musicians, many of whom would have inspired Eric Clapton.

(I've never seen the Blues Brothers movie, either!)

Thanks, why would their songs be played at the UK pavillion then, have I missed the point? :p

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Thanks, why would their songs be played at the UK pavillion then, have I missed the point? :p

hahahaha, yes, I'm afraid you mis-read or misunderstood those posts--stratman and pumbas had drifted off-topic and were simply noting their own musical preferences and some musicians they admired. Obviously, they are both fans of the blues. ;) I just thought your question deserved an answer. :wave:

dave&di

No, you misunderstood. I was pointing out that it seemed like some people were looking for any excuse to justify hating this band simply because they were not the old band.

Led Zeppelin is great. I love that the new band is putting more emphasis on other great British bands than TBI did. The thought of watching a live band play some Led Zeppelin, The Who, or Pink Floyd, among others, whilst enjoying a beer is very appealing to me.

Same here, British music had some amazing music in the late 60's and 70's.

dave&di

hahahaha, yes, I'm afraid you mis-read or misunderstood those posts--stratman and pumbas had drifted off-topic and were simply noting their own musical preferences and some musicians they admired. Obviously, they are both fans of the blues. ;)

Thanks Tiggerish, I shall concentrate more in the future!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't know - You've got one dude who looks like Jack Black, and another who looks like the guy who replaced Steve Perry in Journey.

I think the point is, The British Invasion was a whole experience. I'm not a fan of tribute bands personally, but they were REALLY good. This new band, is simply a cover band. There's a HUGE difference between tribute and cover bands.

This band would be like a fast roller coaster at Disney with absolutely no story line to it.

Well, as long as it's a completely rational judgment.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom