Photos and Video - New UK Pavilion band - The English Channel

captainkidd

Yeah, pretty sure I've got the difference down. Not the point however, but thanks for inquiring all the same.

It was one performance. Might want to give them a little more time before bunching up any knickers over their performance....

This isn't some new band they just put together. These guys have been playing together for quite a few years.

Again, this discussion is based on what we've seen so far. That's all we have to go on.

jakeman

Hi All Just a few thoughts on the new band. I know at least two of the gentlemen in the band have worked in Disney before either as substitutes or with another regular act. I am unaware if either of these two gentlemen worked together before this.

This isn't some new band they just put together. These guys have been playing together for quite a few years.

Again, this discussion is based on what we've seen so far. That's all we have to go on.

Please see above.

wannabeBelle

Really?? I wasnt sure about that. I will tell you I have known bands both guys, the drummer and the bass player have been in and have never seen them play together, nor have I seen the two gentlemen I dont know play with them at any point. I can ask when I am down there next, but I wouldnt make that kind of assumption. I might agree they know each other, but as far as playing together for years, I wouldnt be so quick to make that statement. Marie

captainkidd

Really?? I wasnt sure about that. I will tell you I have known bands both guys, the drummer and the bass player have been in and have never seen them play together, nor have I seen the two gentlemen I dont know play with them at any point. I can ask when I am down there next, but I wouldnt make that kind of assumption. I might agree they know each other, but as far as playing together for years, I wouldnt be so quick to make that statement. Marie

http://britishrockband.com/britishrockband.com/Home.html

captainkidd

That still does not prove that they are an old band. The only video on the site was uploaded on 3/30/2011

I didn't say they were an "old band", but from what I've read, they have been playing together for a few years now. Who the heck knows if it's true? Doesn't really matter. Musically speaking, as I said, they're fine. In fact, rather good.

My point is, their look doesn't really fit with Disney (IMO). I don't blame them, I blame Disney. Again, it's all subjective. I personally like the idea of a tribute band with some sort of theme playing at Epcot. A band like this seems better suited for DTD.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I didn't say they were an "old band", but from what I've read, they have been playing together for a few years now. Who the heck knows if it's true? Doesn't really matter. Musically speaking, as I said, they're fine. In fact, rather good.

My point is, their look doesn't really fit with Disney (IMO). I don't blame them, I blame Disney. Again, it's all subjective. I personally like the idea of a tribute band with some sort of theme playing at Epcot. A band like this seems better suited for DTD.
And like many of us have said...give them and Disney a chance. This is more than likely a dry run. If it turns out to be a decent fit there is a good chance that Disney will sink some money into a different stage, wardrobe, etc.

llrain

I agree, we saw them yesterday. They kinda dont "fit" in.
Not being biased either cause we didnt really see the British Invasion that much nor do we do Off Kilter.

They just seem strange. We are in the Beach club villas and if we come back during the afternoon to our room we can hear them and they are darn loud.
The music they are doing we think takes away from the pavilion itself. Heavy classic rock doesnt belong at the pavilion. I think they should keep the Beatles
only.
Not a big deal for us though, we rarely stop for these performers unless its the
Japanese Drummers.

Im sure Disney will have them on the chopping block soon

wannabeBelle

And like many of us have said...give them and Disney a chance. This is more than likely a dry run. If it turns out to be a decent fit there is a good chance that Disney will sink some money into a different stage, wardrobe, etc.

Well said Sir and completely true based on the history of other acts in Disney. Marie

71jason

This is an AWESOME set list in my opinion. To everyone that doesn't like this stuff, thank you for leaving me an empty bench seat to watch them.

Not that I disliked their performance musically, but I think their set would "work" a little more if they kept the chronological order gimmick. As it is, the songs come off as a bit disjointed and random.

(Allow me to be bit cheeky.)
I have taken it upon myself to submit a list to Disney for the following tribute bands to be hired for their respective pavilions.

Germany - Kraftwerk and David Hasselhoff or Falco
Norway - A-Ha
Canada - (Hard to choose just one.) Crash Test Dummies/Rush/Bachman-Turner Overdrive
France - Daft Punk
Italy - Genesis (Although the band isn't from Italy, they became very popular in Italy before they were recognized anywhere else. Plus...it's hard to think of bands from some of these countries!)
Mexico - Freddy Fender
United States - Dee Lite or Sugar Hill Gang
United Kingdom - Dexy's Midnight Runners or Duran Duran
Japan/China/Morocco - Sorry. I am ignorant of the band exports from these countries.

:ROFLOL:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
EDIT: Actually, the instruments are played well, it's just the singing and stage presence I'm having a problem with. :(
The audio on this vid is really good. I'd love to know what was used to record it. Sounds like its directly from the sound board?

I agree. The singing needs work.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
My dear, I'm pretty sure you have heard of at least one of the three Kings, BB? The other two are Albert and Freddie

Yes, of course, I know BB King. He sang with a little Irish band, I think. :lol:

Seriously though, I did not know he played with his brothers under the Three Kings--I didn't even know he had brothers. My knowledge of blues is not extensive, just some crumbs I've picked up from my husband, who is deeply into all kinds of music.

Regarding the topic of the discussion, I am by no means whatsoever forming an opinion on the new act in the UK pavilion until I see them myself in October. I haven't even watched the video posted here, so I am not remarking on their musicianship, or showmanship, or anything at all about the band itself. I am not offering an opinion on the new direction of the music being played; having been a teenager in the late 70's, goodness knows I am more than familiar with it as my brother played it incessantly (although I would not claim to be a Led Zeppelin fan, I don't dislike the band or its music). I am also not particularly a Beatles fan, even though I do enjoy much of their music and am married to a bona fide Beatlemaniac.

Now, after all of those disclaimers, I will tell everyone what I've noticed about the British Invasion shows over the years, and in particular what I noticed during TBI's last ever set, which I attended last Saturday. Because we happened to be at WDW on their last day, and because of the aforementioned bona fide Beatlemaniac, in recognition and support of many, many years of marriage, I stood through not one, not two, but three TBI shows on their last day of performing. The 4:30 show was business as usual, musically, and much more crowded than I've seen in years; a lot of locals had turned out because they knew it was the band's last day, and the band remarked that it was their last day, acknowledged and thanked their fans, and talked about how they'd enjoyed playing at Epcot. As it's been for years, they played early Beatles tunes, and as always, the older people in the crowd sang along and swayed, and little children danced. We did not see the 6pm show, having scooted back to BLT to change for our dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse, which I'd pushed back to 8:35 so we could see the last two shows. At the 7:00 show, the band said they'd gotten some requests and would play them at their last set, alluding to certain songs as being set "off limits" by Disney. Towards the end of that show, they took on a sort of "ah, screw it" tone, and decided to play one of the requests to end that set, and played "Revolution". By the 8:00 show, the tone was "this is our last set, we're outta here, we're gonna play what we want because Disney can't do anything about it". Actually, they knew what Disney could do about it; they even referred to the risk of not getting their last check, but they would go off-track "for the fans" :hurl:. When they were playing "Helter Skelter", a number of families with small children left the pavilion; during a song apparently titled "I Want You" (not a fan, no idea), I saw one man actually put his little girl under his arm like a football and scurry away. They also played "Get Back", (I think--at some point, my hunger caused me to become distracted) and they ended with "Hey, Jude", playing to a noticeably smaller crowd than at the beginning of the show.

So, after all that, I come to my point, and again, this is just an observation: say what you will about it, the Beatles music (the early stuff) appealed to all generations. I always thought it was cute the way little kids, who'd almost definitely never heard these songs before, would dance around happily as if they couldn't help themselves but were moved by the music. The new set list will by its nature appeal to a more limited audience; as has been noted by Master Yoda and others, it will be for WDW to decide if the limitation is satisfactory.

One last thing, and this is just my opinion: the current setting of the "bandstand" in the UK pavilion is totally incongruous--if you will forgive the pun, a clash--with hard rock music. If they decide to stick with it, maybe they'll install a mini-replica of Wembley. :lol:

stratman50th

Yes, of course, I know BB King. He sang with a little Irish band, I think. :lol:

Seriously though, I did not know he played with his brothers under the Three Kings--I didn't even know he had brothers. My knowledge of blues is not extensive, just some crumbs I've picked up from my husband, who is deeply into all kinds of music.
First off, very nice critique of the last day. You put a lot of time and effort into it.
Second, :ROFLOL: You admitted that your blues knowledge wasn't extensive so here's just a little something in case you find yourself on Jeopardy. BB, Albert, and Freddie aren't brothers, they just all have the same last name. My fault, you didn't know. In fact there's a lot of people who don't know. ;)
I don't recall if any of the three have ever even been on stage together.

If anyone gets tired of this thread, there's another one out there that's starting to grow hair too. Jump in if you haven't had the chance.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=734396
:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom