PhotoPass

LoriMistress

DH and I used PP on our last trip and it was worth every penny. There's always not enough pictures of the entire family together. One or two people are normally left out of the picture. Purchase your PP online and you'll save $25.

I'm kicking myself for not pre-ordering a CD in the past. :hammer: I plan to pre-order for our upcoming trip in September. Maybe it was just me but on our last trip in February it seemed that there were more PP photographers then before? :shrug: DH thought so too and there were a LOT of opportunities to have pictures taken. We missed out, especially at the PPP but not this trip. :D

pjulie75

Hi everyone, :lookarounI don't really understand this, are you really paying for a photographer to just click the picture? Is it all online, therefore you need to pay developing yourself when you go home? Do they include ride pics? When we get our pics taken with the characters, we always let the photographer take picture, then another family member takes a pic too, so it saves us buying the CD:veryconfu

WildLodgeFan

Hi everyone, :lookarounI don't really understand this, are you really paying for a photographer to just click the picture? Is it all online, therefore you need to pay developing yourself when you go home? Do they include ride pics? When we get our pics taken with the characters, we always let the photographer take picture, then another family member takes a pic too, so it saves us buying the CD:veryconfu

You could look at it from that angle. If the photographer wasn't there, you would have one family member not in the photo, or rely on the graciousness of other guests to take a photo. Also, they do specialized shots and plug in surprises later. You can also add borders and such to the photos (my understanding from the photopass website) that can make the photos even more fun. You can pay to have them developed or simply print them on photo paper from your computer. So it's all about preference. :rolleyes:

Gorjus

When a family comes to see a character, I immediately start shooting. I move around, get the correct angles. Keep in mind I have probably been with this character for hours (and we are talking just today. It may be the 10th time working with this character in the past month). I've learned their subtleties. In the case of a princess, I've learned that if she says a certain phrase, I need to get ready because a special photo is coming. I capture photos most people don't. I know just the right angle for the hug, kiss, face caress, nose touch, etc.

Now there are people who have really nice cameras. And they think they are doing great by just shooting continuously. I mean 60 photos in a one minute meet and greet. And yes, there is a chance they caught some good shots as well and will delete the rest. And then there are some parents who know to just be ready and capture moments as they happen.

However, when it comes to the posed shots, that is what most parents take. They usually miss the candids or are busy interupting amazing candid moments by saying "look here, look here." I carefully explain the meet and greet process and often say "shhhh don't interupt the princess moments." And when I look at the LCD screen of the families camera and see how they are composing their photos, I smile inside. 75% of people don't know how to compose a photo. So my photos will be better. And as mentioned before my favorite giggle moments are those families that refuse photopass yet are using disposable cameras or camera phones. I shouldn't say giggle, I should say laugh out loud.

Side note: Moms, don't hover over your children while meeting the characters. You are ruining the photos. Also, it is ok if your child has an experience that you are not part of. Really, let your child begin to spread their wings. I know I have met a selfish parent when the child is ok going up to a character yet the mom insists on hovering and hearing every word. I know when I have met a cool parent when she is standing back and watching (not hearing a word that is said but savoring the overall moment) and saying to me: "look at them...it is like they are best friends." or "look at my baby, yesterday she wouldn't go near the characters, now it is like she's moved in." or "that is her favorite character, look at the moment they are sharing."

So with photopass you are paying for a quality camera and a trained photographer and an advanced knowlege of what to shoot and when and what the best angles are and what to set the camera on.

As I said before, when people hand me their cameras and I use them, 30% of them are set on the correct settings for the situation. Automatic is often NOT the correct setting. Especially at night, my photos do back flips over 90% of photos taken with a guest camera.

Having said all that, if you are that good and know your camera that well, simply use photopass as a back up. That way if anything happens to your memory card or camera, you have a back up system. And give us your camera. That way you don't have to buy anything...unless you like our magic photos...which are amazing.

Having said all that, go over to the photo of the day thread and you'll see how many amazing photographers we have on this board. And I see amazing photographers in the parks as well and compliment them on their skills in both scenic and character photography. But while concentrated here on this board, they are in general a rare find in the parks, much like Disney Geeks like us are a rare find in the parks.

NewfieFan

No problem - always glad to pass on a tip. Also, in case no one who is reading this thread is aware of it, you can also load up your pictures from your camera to be included in the CD or to manipulate with borders, etc. This way your photos are all in one location.

Really!?! I didn't know this! I knew you could upload your own photos for the movie or photo book but I didn't know you could do it for the CD.

*Edit* Nevermind, I just read Gorjus' post!

Gorjus

However, let's say you took an amazing photo. You can upload it to the Photopass website and add Disney borders to it and have Disney print it out for you. IE: There was finally a moment where your two children stopped fighting for a few seconds and were walking hand in hand together and you were behind them and captured the moment on the camera. You could upload the camera to the Photopass website, add the border "where dreams come true" to the photo and have Disney print it out.

Is Test Track the only ride photo that gets added to the picture CD? It would be very much worth it if more of the rides did. Those pics end up costing a fortune!

NewfieFan

However, let's say you took an amazing photo. You can upload it to the Photopass website and add Disney borders to it and have Disney print it out for you. IE: There was finally a moment where your two children stopped fighting for a few seconds and were walking hand in hand together and you were behind them and captured the moment on the camera. You could upload the camera to the Photopass website, add the border "where dreams come true" to the photo and have Disney print it out.

That's good to know!

And it really would be "a dream come true"!:lol:

Gorjus

Test Track, and the Water Park rides are the only ones under the Photopass umbrella. Another company still has deals to run the other ride photos.

CelioSunshine

We just got back and personally I am going to stick with my own photos. There is a few shots I will order individually because we didn't think ahead and get the photopass person to take the picture with our camera as well.

I found that photopass people were hard to find in some parks and in some areas where I would have expected them to be. In our week trip we ended up with only 82 photos and 21 of them were of me with Stitch and only one of my son with him. He was not very impressed.

I agree there were several photopass people that seemed extremely helpful but the majority that we ran into made me feel like we were annoying them.

There were also a few shots that Stitch and Tinkerbell were supposed to be added to and they are not. All 7 of us look a little funny pointing at nothing on the ground.

FamilyMagic

Original Poster
I appreciate all of your tips and welcome more advice and other tips! If anyone has examples of their PhotoPass pictures that they could post that would be great! Thanks!!!

Erin_Akey

We absolutely love the photopass CD and get one every year. This will be out third one this Christmas. some of ths BIG pros:

1. You can get a ZILLION shots and we do all the time. we do some of just the kids, some of just mommy and daddy, some with our brother in law's family, etc. We do all kinds of poses and last year we even did a special shot for a family member who didn't get to come where we held up a sign for her saying we missed her. We just had a lot of fun with it.

2. the photos come out a lot better than what you can do unless you are a pro yourself.

3. you only need to stick the little card in your wallet and once you get home and have time, you can go online and add the borders, crop pics, do whatever you like to them, delete the ones you don't like etc. and THEN order the CD. there is no rush. no pressure to buy some prints before you leave the park, nothing to carry, etc.

My kids and i had a blast adding things to the shots once we got home.

4. I was able to email the pics to family and friends and they could print them out.

It is a WONDERFUL value if you like pictures. I cannot see us EVER not buying one. This year we plan to do the photobook as well.

i am a huge fan and the photogs are always so nice about doing multiple photos etc.

We really took advatage of getting some gorgeous night pics during extra magic hours when the photogs were not so busy too. that was a nice bonus.

WildLodgeFan

I believe it's a 129.99 if not purchased in advance, but I don't know if there is a special rate to purchase in the parks or not. Perhaps Gorjus can provide some light on this question?

durangojim

CORRECTION: Your own photos can NOT be added to the photo CD. They can be included in the photo scrapbook, DVD movie, or for prints, but NOT the photo CD.

As for giving the photographer your camera, and saving the money and buying a good dslr...great, go for it. FYI, I have taken photos with guests cameras that are identical to the ones we use. My photos are still better because someone at Photopass has gone to each location and figured out the best camera settings for most locations. Guest cameras are usually set on a general setting and my photos are usually better. It isn't just the camera or the person taking the photo that matter. Having the right camera settings is important as well.

And by the way, when you accidentally delete all your vacation photos instead of just one, or your camera slipped and fell into the pool, or your laptop got stolen from the car or hotel room, or through freak circumstances...somehow while riding space mountain, all the right buttons got pushed and your memory card was reformated, you'll be glad you had photopass to back you up so you are not running around on the last day of your trip trying to find all 6 princesses.

All very good points, but if the guest hands you the same model of camera that you have or another dslr will you change the settings for the guest to the pre-determined "best settings" so that his/her pics come out as good as yours?
Unfortunately I think that some other CMs without as much photo expertise as yourself may rely on those predetermined settings without really thinking about exposure which is why a significant number of photopass pics may not come out exposed correctly (I only speak from personal experience).

You make a great point about loosing pics and have illustrated the need for nightly backups of your pics regardless if someone is using photopass or not.

I'm glad that there are some real photogs like you taking our pics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom