PHOTO - New ground clearing taking place behind Harambe in Disney's Animal Kingdom

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was there yesterday and the area already looks huge. Much larger in person than it seems in pics. It's very detailed. It feels much more like a town now. I may go back tomorrow.
Heres a vid I shot on my phone yesterday.

I love your videos. Thanks for sharing!

mm121

Probably parking for management so they don't have to walk too far. They removed the Galaxt Palace theater in MK to add extra parking so why not do the same in AK

that seems like the dumbest plan ever to remove a guest theatre for parking, Disney has more than enough land they can surely find better places for parking that dont remove guest areas.

It seems so.

yea its been announced that africa will connect to pandora.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Man, actually lots of stuff going on at DAK now, pretty promising!

Yeah, they are moving so much around, duplicating structures that had already existed. If it is a duplicate of a train station it will be a big yawn. A new train station, a new Lion King theater is nice and all but doesn't solve the problem of additional new attractions. It is just a lot of funds spent on rearranging a park that already has plenty of room to expand.

I like it to my MIL moving the bedrooms and family room around in her home. After tens of thousands of dollars there are still 3 bedrooms, still a family room just less money in hand for the same square footage. Poor overall strategic planning of a park.

jt04

Yeah, they are moving so much around, duplicating structures that had already existed. If it is a duplicate of a train station it will be a big yawn. A new train station, a new Lion King theater is nice and all but doesn't solve the problem of additional new attractions. It is just a lot of funds spent on rearranging a park that already has plenty of room to expand.

I like it to my MIL moving the bedrooms and family room around in her home. After tens of thousands of dollars there are still 3 bedrooms, still a family room just less money in hand for the same square footage. Poor overall strategic planning of a park.

You should read up on Pandora. And new nighttime events.

Gabe1

You should read up on Pandora. And new nighttime events.

It was posted on this sight a long time ago. Do you genuinely believe Avatarland will solve the lack of attractions day and night in AK? I don't see Pandora being the second coming of AK, what it will likely do is shift the early day visitors to night leaving it still a half day park for a good chunk of guests.

CJR

I heard that there was talk about another ride in Africa awhile back, but I believe I was told that did not get the green light. It's also not in the area I was told about.

So, I would guess it will be some sort of new quick service place. As it's been said before, this part of the park is in need of a location like this and that need will only grow in time if it's ignored. Longer theme parks hours will require more places to eat.

Gabe1

I disagree as Avatar will be on par with Carsland from all reports. And they do not seem to be slowing down. Nothing indicates that there won't be more announcements. The mouse is ready to respond to developments elsewhere as I always said they would. Pessimism at this point seems unjustified.

Pessimism maybe. I'm guarded. Iger has a long history of pulling the plug on projects that seem to be a 'go.'We all know just because it is imagineered doesn't mean it doesn't get sliced and diced. Right around Thanksgiving so many projects were pulled by Iger both at Disneyland and WDW, little has happened in the Studios that was spoken to even with closing dates that came and went. Same with Future World, so if we must name it pessimism, so be it. This is the first time I have heard it being on Par with Carsland, a true family adventure imagineered, geared towards families. That is good to hear, if an accurate comparison. Too much of AK attractions are far too extreme of movement for families.

What is your source for the Carsland comparison, I'd love to read it.

Aside from the good news about it being on Par with Carsland I am not still onboard with Avatar being the Savior of AK. I've heard the hype of it being a land but so is Asia and I can't say there is all that much to do in Asia. Actually the vast majority of time spent there on my families part is in a single queue as we are not much for getting drenched. I don't find Kali all that magical or even a superior version of that attraction that is a staple around the world. Time will tell with Avatar, but given the issues with Dwarf and their projection fails they best get their act together for Avatar. I have a friend that was booted by CMs 3 times from Dwarf due to continued technical difficulties, an attraction is only noteworthy if it can stay operational.

Gabe1

I heard they were finally removing the broken Yeti and wanted to bury it's remains somewhere where no one would ever find it...the middle of Africa. However, after reviewing the TDO approved budget, realized they could only ship it within a mile and so decided to use their own Africa. The rest speaks for itself...

:D

Kudos:D

Yes! And it'll be prefect crowd control! Just like with Asia and Dinoland.

I smile every time I hear anyone speak to crowd control at Animal Kingdom. :rolleyes:

jt04

Pessimism maybe. I'm guarded. Iger has a long history of pulling the plug on projects that seem to be a 'go.'We all know just because it is imagineered doesn't mean it doesn't get sliced and diced. Right around Thanksgiving so many projects were pulled by Iger both at Disneyland and WDW, little has happened in the Studios that was spoken to even with closing dates that came and went. Same with Future World, so if we must name it pessimism, so be it. This is the first time I have heard it being on Par with Carsland, a true family adventure imagineered, geared towards families. That is good to hear, if an accurate comparison, as much of AK attractions are far too extreme of movement for families. What is your source for the Carsland comparison, I'd love to read it.

Aside from the good news about it being on Par with Carsland I am not still onboard with Avatar being the Savior of AK. I've heard the hype of it being a land but so is Asia and I can't say there is all that much to do in Asia. Actually the vast majority of time spent there on my families part is in a single queue as we are not much for getting drenched. I don't find Kali all that magical or even a superior version of that attraction that is a staple around the world. Time will tell with Avatar, but given the issues with Dwarf and their projection fails they best get their act together for Avatar. I have a friend that was booted by CMs 3 times from Dwarf due to continued technical difficulties, an attraction is only noteworthy if it can stay operational.

Making some assumptions here but I am not sure WDI really understood what Iger would green light and what he wouldn't. I think they have figured it out though. So more stuff is happening. I just read the Blue Sky Cellar will be reopening at DL.

I remember similar concerns for TSMM, Mermaid and even Radiator Springs. Also WoC and RnRC. Also Space and new Test Track. Star Tours II, Tiki 2, refurbed Splash, SSE, Nemo at Seas, Space Mountain refurb, Nemo Subs, Double Dumbo.....etc

And no I am not making this up.

Gabe1

Yes! And it'll be prefect crowd control! Just like with Asia and Dinoland.

I smile everytime I hear anyone speak to crowd control at Animal Kingdom.
Making some assumptions here but I am not sure WDI really understood what Iger would green light and what he wouldn't. I think they have figured it out though. So more stuff is happening. I just read the Blue Sky Cellar will be reopening at DL.

I remember similar concerns for TSMM, Mermaid and even Radiator Springs. Also WoC and RnRC. Also Space and new Test Track. Star Tours II, Tiki 2, refurbed Splash, SSE, Nemo at Seas, Space Mountain refurb, Nemo Subs, Double Dumbo.....etc

And no I am not making this up.

So what is your source for Avatarland being on Par with Carsland?

It was well reported that Iger pulled the projects that were already green lighted for both Disneylands Anniversary and WDW improvement projects. Igers meltdown over cost overruns for MME costs are documented also on this sight and others. Pulling projects is on Iger not on WDI being inept.

Star Wars expansion at the Studios should have been well on its way as well as the Pixar expansion at the Studio's. Imagination was finally going down for rehab, it is 6 months off its Target close. Idol and Beauty should have closed right after the new year, with Imagination but Iger pulled all of them. As quickly as Iger squished these projects Avatarland too can be sliced and diced the same way over the remaining projected 3-4 years (if Iger allows Avatar to stays on pace.) Disney has continued to push off Avatar, that isn't pessimism, that is fact and it is certainly possible that Iger will do it again to part or all of the Avatar project after-all Iger has a shopping center to build and DVCs on the plate already.

Cmdr_Crimson

On that note, I've always thought they should add Hong Kong's Mystic Manor to Asia at DAK! Amazing dark ride technology not used anywhere at WDW (like Pooh in Tokyo & now Rat. in Paris!) Even if they had to tweak the theme, who cares... Let's get a nice dark ride in DAK!

Yea I'm all for Mystic Manor too. Let's get rid of that train ride to nowhere.

Then were better off Renaming Disney's Animal Kingdom to Disney's Adventure Kingdom...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom