PHOTO - New ground clearing taking place behind Harambe in Disney's Animal Kingdom

jt04

So here is a markup of the current park map. The red is roughly where they have cleared, and I am guessing the new path will be one of the blue line. That route would avoid having to cross the tracks. Not sure how the space on the other side of the tracks will be used.

View attachment 55638

The clearing to the tracks is the most interesting aspect. Could just be to get construction equipment in or something more with the future in mind. If they ever develop that expansion pad it would make sense for this to be a major access area. IMO.

ABQ

Here's the approximate location of the former "secret path".

Somewhere back there is a smoking area (that isn't marked on this map for some reason) under an open-air gazebo. That seating area was at the eastern end of the path. The path crossed two small streams with stepping-stones along the way.

-Rob
If you've got Google Earth installed, there's a really cool 360 picture of that path area (not the secret one, necessarily, but the gazebo is shown) If I knew a way to link to a Google 360 pic, I would, but I can't seem to find a way.

Kennyken

So here is a markup of the current park map. The red is roughly where they have cleared, and I am guessing the new path will be one of the blue line. That route would avoid having to cross the tracks. Not sure how the space on the other side of the tracks will be used.

View attachment 55638
Could it be possible with the construction on both sides of the train tracks that they might be closing in that portion of the tracks to build a path over it or under like there is in Magic Kingdom between Splash Mt and Thunder Mt?

If not, maybe they are just relocating some of the backstage areas that are being disrupted by this addition to behind the tracks.

Kman101

It's kind of amusing that the reason has been explained but people are still speculating what it could be. It's going to be a marketplace/food/walkway.

ChrisM

View attachment 55638

I have it on good authority that a raised platform is being built on the other side of the tracks which will be manned by cast members who will pelt passersby with rocks and garbage. It was originally pitched as the "Alpha Monkey Feces Fracas" where CMs dressed as monkeys would rain crap down on guests but the budget was, of course, trimmed. So you'll get rocks and garbage instead. And you'll like it.

doctornick

Well we know that much, but now we are guessing what is going on behid the tracks.

It looks like they removed some backstage buildings in the area for the new "on stage" development, so my guess is that the within the tracks space will be backstage support for the new food/merch that is being built.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have it on good authority that a raised platform is being built on the other side of the tracks which will be manned by cast members who will pelt passersby with rocks and garbage. It was originally pitched as the "Alpha Monkey Feces Fracas" where CMs dressed as monkeys would rain crap down on guests but the budget was, of course, trimmed. So you'll get rocks and garbage instead. And you'll like it.

That is absurd, that will never happen.....

the passengers face the wrong way on the train to make that work. ;)

MGMBoy

I am wondering if they are going to potentially use the area for parade staging. Either that or they might be rerouting Wildlife Express unload (there's already a path that went from the old road right by the train crossing straight to the WLE platform) but that area back there gets a good bit of vehicle traffic so I'm not so sure.

Edit: Nevermind, missed the page describing what is going on. An exit into Bradley Falls is a great idea to help traffic flow in that bottleneck.

MGMBoy

Well we know that much, but now we are guessing what is going on behid the tracks.

I'm wondering if they may be modifying that area for Safaris. If you look at the top of the photo, to the right of the station, there is/was a road that was used to hold safari trucks that were ready to go at a moments notice (kind of a holding pen). I wonder if they are modifying the layout of that road to help make that turn easier to navigate.

MickeyPeace

Here's the approximate location of the former "secret path".

AKSecretPath_zps0b7f1094.jpg

Somewhere back there is a smoking area (that isn't marked on this map for some reason) under an open-air gazebo. That seating area was at the eastern end of the path. The path crossed two small streams with stepping-stones along the way.

-Rob
I searched wdwmagic for the secret path as I was standing by the gazebo. Unfortunately the search didn't provide the results I was looking for. I filmed the pathway but I would loved to have discovered and walked down the secret path.

Cesar R M

DSC_0133.JPG

During the "dancing" shows, where the African band invites people to dance along... the area around #24 (in the above map) gets clogged badly..
Note; this is considering the Park was not full (in the times we were there, it was a low slow day).
so what if they are adding a specific area for the band too?

Last edited:

jt04

I think he is joking, aka building a Hogwart Express station in Animal Kingdom.
So the train goes to-from Animal Kingdom to UNI.

I know.

Now if I was the mouse and put on my imagination cap I could think of a way to trump their Express. Cool possibilities at any of the 4 parks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I know.

Now if I was the mouse and put on my imagination cap I could think of a way to trump their Express. Cool possibilities at any of the 4 parks.

If Hogwarts turns out to be a success, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney try something like this to help drive the sale of park-hoppers.

Next Big Thing

If Hogwarts turns out to be a success, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney try something like this to help drive the sale of park-hoppers.
Preferably something from Animal Kingdom to somewhere if they were to try that. Epcot to Studios would be the easiest to do, but DAK is the hardest to get to as it's the only park that has no alternate mode of transport besides car/bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom