PHOTO - New ground clearing taking place behind Harambe in Disney's Animal Kingdom

CTXRover

If Rivers of light is going into the lake between Discovery Island and Everest, it seems like this would be an odd area to build infrastructure for that show. With how congested that area can be around the exit for the safari, Pangani Forest and the train to Planet Watch, I would guess more walkways would make sense. I would also agree something quick service food would make sense.

Interesting.

doctornick

If Rivers of light is going into the lake between Discovery Island and Everest, it seems like this would be an odd area to build infrastructure for that show. With how congested that area around the exit for the safari, Pangani Forest and the train to Planet Watch, I would guess more walkways and would agree something quick service food would make sense.

Yeah I would expect service buildings for Rivers of Light to probably be located at the old service area of the Discovery Boats (behind the Nemo building). It would have to be someplace with easy access to the water.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It seems strange that they tore up the Conservation Way service road that crossed over the train tracks. Maybe they are going to expand the Marketplace and restaurant and need to do some sightline camouflage/theming for the view from the Plant Watch train?

Good observation about the road. Here is a picture from 2010 that shows what the area used to look like.

Capture.JPG

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Since the train goes right through the construction someone needs to take a ride and get some pictures! Although it does appear that there is a construction wall along the track.

startraveler

Maybe when they start tearing up Discovery Island they'll have to move some animals back there - maybe new permanent homes? Just brainstorming.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Notice they have cleared right to the guest walkway though. If it were backstage stuff I don't seem them doing that - they would have left a line of trees to mask that area.
Indeed. I was thinking of work gates along the guest path to allow access to and from the park. With possibly an onstage access area made to the water.

Rob562

Just adding pure speculation... Maybe not adding a drop-off area for the train station as speculated earlier in the thread, but what if they *moved* the train station south of where it is now to be located on the curve... Would that gain them anything?

If it were for access to the waterway for RoL construction, I don't see what doing it there would gain them. They'd still have to get any equipment under the Discovery Island-to-Asia bridge, which would theoretically have the same clearance as the bridge over the canal by Everest.

Another possibility is that this is the start of them creating walkway access to the empty expansion area between Asia and Conservation Station. Perhaps they've decided it would be too much trouble to alter the Jungle Trek to allow a major path to snake between the Trek and Kali.

Edit: Oh, and I agree that another Quick Service option is much needed, as well as bathrooms up by the safari unload dock.

-Rob

Last edited:

doctornick

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom