PHOTO - New ground clearing taking place behind Harambe in Disney's Animal Kingdom

Tom Morrow

I really wish this clearing was for more than just food. DAK, DHS, and Epcot offer more restaurants than attractions. I know we have Avatar coming, but DAK needs more than that.

Though, it seems that the primary goal is to create an additional path for better traffic flow, so quick service dining is better than *just* a path.

themonkeyisthesultan

They're expanding Mombassa Marketplace and putting in a counter service restaurant with outdoor seating. The path will come out in the Bradley Falls area. These aren't rumors or speculation, this is something cast members were told at the most recent cast party.

They were also told about construction on Discovery Island near the Oasis bridge which includes removal of the tip board, moving the cottontop enclosure closer to Creature Comforts, moving the coffee kiosk closer to Flame Tree and expanding Disney Outfitters. Also, there are no plans to replace the tip board. It is gone for good.

ABQ

Where exactly is "Bradley Falls"?
BRadley Falls is the name of the food kiosk just to the left of the Flight's of Wonder entrance, I think. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's been open for a while, but it's still there. If you look at the photo of the construction site, you can see the kiosk on the right with a portion of the Flights of Wonder awning beside it.

jt04

I smile everytime I hear anyone speak to crowd control at Animal Kingdom.

So what is your source for Avatarland being on Par with Carsland?

It was well reported that Iger pulled the projects that were already green lighted for both Disneylands Anniversary and WDW improvement projects. Igers meltdown over cost overruns for MME costs are documented also on this sight and others. Pulling projects is on Iger not on WDI being inept.

Star Wars expansion at the Studios should have been well on its way as well as the Pixar expansion at the Studio's. Imagination was finally going down for rehab, it is 6 months off its Target close. Idol and Beauty should have closed right after the new year, with Imagination but Iger pulled all of them. As quickly as Iger squished these projects Avatarland too can be sliced and diced the same way over the remaining projected 3-4 years (if Iger allows Avatar to stays on pace.) Disney has continued to push off Avatar, that isn't pessimism, that is fact and it is certainly possible that Iger will do it again to part or all of the Avatar project after-all Iger has a shopping center to build and DVCs on the plate already.

It was "documented" on this site that Pandora would never happen because James C was too demanding. Please spare me the talking points. You lose credibility when you CEO bash. It is stereotypical thinking.

But rumor has it the job will be vacant in a year or two. Obviously you are more qualified than Iger, so brush up that resume and apply.

MJMcBride

They're expanding Mombassa Marketplace and putting in a counter service restaurant with outdoor seating. The path will come out in the Bradley Falls area. These aren't rumors or speculation, this is something cast members were told at the most recent cast party.

They were also told about construction on Discovery Island near the Oasis bridge which includes removal of the tip board, moving the cottontop enclosure closer to Creature Comforts, moving the coffee kiosk closer to Flame Tree and expanding Disney Outfitters. Also, there are no plans to replace the tip board. It is gone for good.

I have heard all of that as well. As I said before, the idea we are hearing about the QS location will be similar to the Sunset Market at DHS

bennyw01

Could this be something to do with Harambe Nights? adding a quick service and increasing the capacity in time for the night time festivities?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Could this be something to do with Harambe Nights? adding a quick service and increasing the capacity in time for the night time festivities?
No. Harambe Nights opens in two days. No way this will be anymore than dirt by then.

meyeet

you think they can build the area that quickly? Harambe Nights starts on Saturday. I doubt they could have it open by the last night on August 9th even.

JohnD

I think the most interesting point is that it has been cleared right up to the in-park path. Meaning that at some point, there is likely to be an entrance to this area from an existing path. If it were purely backstage construction, they would not have cleared that close to existing path.

I saw it on Tuesday. It's between the entrance for Rafiki's Planet Watch and the walkway to Asia. My guess is they are constructing another pathway to connect to the Asia walkway to relieve congestion from walking all the way back into Harembe past Tusker House and FOTLK. They might throw in a shop or two but I don't think an attraction is going in there.

Kennyken

I was told by my friend who works in guest relations at Dak that it will be a path leading from the back of Africa near the train and safari exit to the path connecting Africa and Asia, somewhere near where Baloo and King Louie had meet and greets near the restrooms.

This will be to relieve the congestion in Africa and allow guests leaving the safari and train to bypass Mombasa altogether. It is supposed to be a huge help during times when Lion King lets out and the marketplace is flooded.

The walkway is the main reason for this construction, but as for any added restrooms or dining locations my friend did not specify.

doctornick

So, it seems like the consensus is:

1. There will be a path connecting the safari/pangani area to the walkway near Flights of Wonder in Asia. This will help with crowd control by allowing people to bypass the rest of Harambe which will get crowded when FOTLK shows let out.
2. There will be some development in the area near Africa. Not an attraction. Apparently will have a "marketplace" vibe and may have either merchandise or counter service food or both. If there is food, it sounds like seating will be outdoors or covered, but not indoors.

I'm going to guess that if there is food, we'll also see bathrooms added as part of the construction.

Kennyken

So, it seems like the consensus is:

1. There will be a path connecting the safari/pangani area to the walkway near Flights of Wonder in Asia. This will help with crowd control by allowing people to bypass the rest of Harambe which will get crowded when FOTLK shows let out.
2. There will be some development in the area near Africa. Not an attraction. Apparently will have a "marketplace" vibe and may have either merchandise or counter service food or both. If there is food, it sounds like seating will be outdoors or covered, but not indoors.

I'm going to guess that if there is food, we'll also see bathrooms added as part of the construction.

Pretty much!

I'm interested to see if they will open up and convert the seating area behind Tamu Tamu into a large outdoor courtyard along with other dining options during this new construction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So here is a markup of the current park map. The red is roughly where they have cleared, and I am guessing the new path will be one of the blue line. That route would avoid having to cross the tracks. Not sure how the space on the other side of the tracks will be used.

Untitled.jpg

Rob562

Question to anyone who knows: the former "hidden path" between Africa and Asia that was secluded and went over a creek and such. Can anyone describe the specific path that took (i.e. where it started and ended)?

Here's the approximate location of the former "secret path".

AKSecretPath_zps0b7f1094.jpg

Somewhere back there is a smoking area (that isn't marked on this map for some reason) under an open-air gazebo. That seating area was at the eastern end of the path. The path crossed two small streams with stepping-stones along the way.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom