Peter Pan Ride Accident

kap91

I feel very sorry for this man. It must have been a terrible experience.

That being said, I can't figure out 1. How he managed to trip and fall and 2. How this could not have happened on any other ride.

1. Like has been said before, the belt is moving at the same speed as the ships. The only way he could have tripped is if he just missed the step into the ship which brings me to 2. If the man just lost his footing, couldn't this accident happen on practically any ride that the place to get in isn't perfectly level with the floor (Almost every ride I can think of is like this. You either have to step up or down to get in). Why is eveyone blaming this on the moving belt? I can trip on the threshhold into my house.

I still feel really sorry for the man and his family though.

Oh and what is this thing about Peter Pan being open 2 years after?

tigsmom

kap91 said:
I feel very sorry for this man. It must have been a terrible experience.

That being said, I can't figure out 1. How he managed to trip and fall and 2. How this could not have happened on any other ride.

1. Like has been said before, the belt is moving at the same speed as the ships. The only way he could have tripped is if he just missed the step into the ship which brings me to 2. If the man just lost his footing, couldn't this accident happen on practically any ride that the place to get in isn't perfectly level with the floor (Almost every ride I can think of is like this. You either have to step up or down to get in). Why is eveyone blaming this on the moving belt? I can trip on the threshhold into my house.

I still feel really sorry for the man and his family though.

Oh and what is this thing about Peter Pan being open 2 years after?

Anyone can lose their footing and slip. I've seen kids almost walk off the edge of the platform many times and yes it could happen on just about any ride that uses this system.

tigsmom

StarScream86 said:
Maybe they should have an age limit on peter pan,after all its for kids,just like peter pan who won't grow up.

And what would that be? Where do you start and stop? What is too young or too old?

And if its truly like Peter Pan (because he won't grow up) then the older the fan the better, right?

StarScream86

tigsmom said:
And what would that be? Where do you start and stop? What is too young or too old?

And if its truly like Peter Pan (because he won't grow up) then the older the fan the better, right?

The peter pan thing was joke a silly joke.
But seriously,if your a little too old and have trouble getting around maybe you shouldn't be going on rides that have a fast moving convayer belt that might make you trip if you have slow reflectives.just common sense.
any way,why didn't his family help him on the ride,or where were the cast members to assist him on the attraction.

tigsmom

StarScream86 said:
But seriously,if your a little too old and have trouble getting around maybe you shouldn't be going on rides that have a fast moving convayer belt that might make you trip if you have slow reflectives.just common sense.
any way,why didn't his family help him on the ride,or where were the cast members to assist him on the attraction.

No argument here, but where did it say he had trouble getting around or that his reflexes were slow? I'm in my 40's, have good reflexes and I've tripped getting into rides before. He was with his wife & granddaughter...I'm going to say he was being a gentleman and helped them into the car first as my DH does for us and most men I've seen in WDW do for the ladies in their group. And not all cast members help people onto rides (and nowhere does it say he needed help). This was a very serious, unfortunate accident...accidents happen all the time all over the world...no blame needs to be placed on anyone.

Thankfully he is recovering.

no2apprentice

Bravesfn1 said:
Who in the media is always attacking Disney?
The Orlando Sentinal always seems willing and able to jump on Disney when tragic incidents occur. That is just my opinion on their journalistic style from the articles members have posted. Some may agree, some may not.

tigsmom said:
Anyone can lose their footing and slip. I've seen kids almost walk off the edge of the platform many times and yes it could happen on just about any ride that uses this system.

So true, so true. One never knows what circumstances may change over time. My balance has been ever so slightly affected by some health issues over the past few years. Not dramatic, I just have to focus a little more when moving around. Last year I noticed I had to concentrate a little more when loading, not only with Peter Pan, but Haunted Mansion as well. For someone who is up in years, I can see where it might be more of a challenge than what they would perceive at first.

Plus, it's been my experience that the speed between the belt and the ride vehicle is not always exactly the same.

Buried20KLeague

I think one big reason this story was so quickly latched onto by different media outlets was because apparently a homocide unit was dispatched to WDW... Apparently since the EMS workers reported potential life-threatening injuries. But then once he reached the hospital he quickly and dramatically improved, so that part of the investigation was quickly closed. With a homicide unit called out, it WAS big news. Till he improved, it seems the general concensus was he might actually pass away. "Man dies at Magic Kingdom on Peter Pan Ride" is one heck of a headline.

And anyone that doesn't think the media looks for whatever "bad blood" story they can run about the Disney parks is crazy. The mere fact that in this story they used the Typhoon Lagoon incident as a "disney related fatality" proves that point. That girl (rest her soul) was going to pass away at that moment no matter if she was sitting on her bed at home, or at TL as she was. There was ZERO involvment with Disney in that case, yet it became a bullet point on reports yesterday implying some sort of fault.

As for changing the ride... How many MILLIONS of people have ridden that ride safely?? Do the math. If it gets shut down to be changed based on this incident, I'm going to smack someone in their WAYYYYY too "Politically Correct" face. Things happen. I feel sorry for the person involved. But this was an anomolie. A fluke. This doesn't warrant a major change to the ride system. Trade a signature by the family on a release of liability form for a top of the line two week stay and treat them like kings for a couple weeks and put the unfortunate accident behind them. End of story.

peter11435

MicBat said:
Is there no E-Stop at the load point? If not, I'm sure there will be now.
There is. That is why this man was only injured and not killed. There are actually two E-stops in the area.

schroder6452

StarScream86 said:

Question: is there a CM walking the load belt like on TTA or is it like Buzz where we are on the platform and warn guests to watch their step and regulate the flow of people but they load themselves into the vehicle 'unattended'?

TTATraveler

Bravesfn1 said:
True, but many people on this board are always quick to defend Disney. Now, it doesn't sound like Disney is at fault from the information on the accident. However, some people on this board have the idea in their heads that Disney can do no wrong and never are at fault for anything. What media sources are just waiting to attack or flame Disney? People please be more specific that make generalized comments like, "The media is salivating to flame Disney". Who in the media is always attacking Disney?

First:

I find it completely unecessary for the media to "remind us" at the end of their articles and stories about the Mission Space incident, ToT incident, Typhoon Lagoon incident, and Share a Dream Come True incident. These have nothing to do with what happened on Peter Pan and too me are just a way of putting thoughts in our heads that Disney may be unsafe. For the amount of visitors to the parks in a given day, something is bound to happen.

Second:

I wonder how many people trip, slip, or fall while getting onto an escalator in a mall, department store, etc in a year and injure themselves? How many people slip and fall on the ice on a sidewalk in the winter and break a leg or hip? I can't remember the last time I saw one of these incidents reported by the media. Hmmm, that's because they aren't "juicy" stories. They are mundane accidents that happen. However, when these mundane accidents happen on Disney property or even anywhere else of significance, suddenly they become news-worthy.

gjpjtj

kathyjacks said:
:mad: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Don't you think the man would have avoided it if he could.I am a disney lover too and by no means am flaming them as matter of fact I called today to pay for an upcoming trip but YOU come one human life is worth so much more then your peter pan ride!I know this is an old post and I haven't been able to get near the end of the post but I hope this person turned out ok.OH and LOOK PETER PAN RIDE IS STILL GOING 2 YEARS LATER:fork:

I don't understand....Huh?......What???? I give up.:brick:

peter11435

schroder6452 said:
Question: is there a CM walking the load belt like on TTA or is it like Buzz where we are on the platform and warn guests to watch their step and regulate the flow of people but they load themselves into the vehicle 'unattended'?
Its like Buzz.

Laura

Premium Member
tigsmom said:
No argument here, but where did it say he had trouble getting around or that his reflexes were slow? I'm in my 40's, have good reflexes and I've tripped getting into rides before. He was with his wife & granddaughter...I'm going to say he was being a gentleman and helped them into the car first as my DH does for us and most men I've seen in WDW do for the ladies in their group. And not all cast members help people onto rides (and nowhere does it say he needed help). This was a very serious, unfortunate accident...accidents happen all the time all over the world...no blame needs to be placed on anyone.

Thankfully he is recovering.

Thanks for saying it so I didn't have to.

peter11435

MicBat said:
There isn't a CM on the belt like there is on buzz, just one grouping on the platform.
I didn't think Buzz had a CM on the belt. I thought buzz just had the CM grouping on the platform.

hardcard

the last few times I've ridden Buzz there have been 2 cm's, one on the platform right before the belt, and one one the belt before the tunnel pulling down the lapbar/gun turrets.

MicBat

peter11435 said:
I didn't think Buzz had a CM on the belt. I thought buzz just had the CM grouping on the platform.
There's 2. There are also 2 on Haunted Mansion's belt as well. Come to think of it, I dont see why Peter Pan's Flight didn't have 2 like the rest seem to have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom