Peter Pan Ride Accident

BuzzComplexCM

As a former Tomorrowland CM, I can say that I have seen MANY MANY people finding it hard to step onto the load/unload ramps at both BUZZ and TTA. Just keep this in mind, all you have to do it step. And if you need a handrail, just make sure you let go of it, the ramp moves, the handrail doesn't. However, at BUZZ they do have a moving handrail. I think if Disney coughs up some money for once, they should install moving handrails to prevent the falling.

Simba1

In regards to the "everything was closed" eyewitness, many rides went down today for various reasons. The Haunted Mansion was down for a completely different reason for about a half hour today and many guests were complaining saying things like "This is closed too!?" I believe I heard Peter Pan, HM, Splash Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear were all down at various parts of the day for all different reasons. At HM, we CMs knew nothing of what was going on at Peter Pan.

peter11435

BuzzComplexCM said:
As a former Tomorrowland CM, I can say that I have seen MANY MANY people finding it hard to step onto the load/unload ramps at both BUZZ and TTA. Just keep this in mind, all you have to do it step. And if you need a handrail, just make sure you let go of it, the ramp moves, the handrail doesn't. However, at BUZZ they do have a moving handrail. I think if Disney coughs up some money for once, they should install moving handrails to prevent the falling.
HM and peter pan both have moving handrails too. The only ones that don't have moving handrails are the ones that are round such as TTA and SSE.

peter11435

dizpins14 said:
The only thing i can see disney being blamed for is not stating how many people are in a ship. Those ships really are not made for 3 people and it sounds as if they were all trying to fit in one boat. Since the man is in his 70s I would assume the grandchild had to be an older grandchild and not a little one where it is easier to fit 3 people.
Thats assumption. It is very possible that this manys grandchild was only 3-4 years old. In any case the number of people in the ship has nothing to do with this accident.

peter11435

edwardtc said:
Still seems like quite an overreaction to close the restaurants and evac other rides just because someone got hurt in an isolated area. Sure, emerg crews needed to get to him, but I don't think an emerg evac on Small World was quite necessary. I dunno - just seems overreactive.

Well Smarl World is really just 20 feet from PP. I am sure they wanted people out of the area so they didn't see too much, and so the emergency vehicles could move around safely.

Safari Giraffe

tigsmom said:
remember that "the guy" is 70 years old and maybe not as quick as some younger people; and I've seen younger people have trouble on the belts.

I remember when I went on this ride for the first time (1995) on my honeymoon. I misjudged stepping into the ship and ended up with a HUGE bruise on the back of my leg. My husband looked at me and laughed and I remember him saying "How could you misjudge that.....the conveyor belt is even with the ship???? The only cool part was the next day when I looked at the bruise it was shaped like a "hidden mickey"!!! We took a picture of it because no one would ever believe it.

Leave it to me to hurt myself one way or the other. :lol:

jesserin

I've almost tripped up on PP several times and I am fairly young and in pretty good health... being 70 & a little shaky - I can see how it would be easy to miss a step and end up falling... it's sad and I hope the man is okay - what a horrible way for your grandchild to view Disney... I hope the child is old enough to understand and not hate the place forever...

BeachClubVillas

speck76 said:
I can't wait to hear from Rep. Markey calling for more oversight on amusement park attractions :rolleyes:

Don't make fun of my Rep!!! :fork:
:lol: :lol:
So what if they guy is slightly paranoid?

Seriously, I'm very glad that the person who was hurt is going to be okay. It sounds like it was a freak accident. If the state isn't even going to be investigating, they must know it was a complete accident. I feel bad for his granddaughter for having to witness it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DLP`s PP has static loading, like Snow White, without causing any untoward delays in load or unload. apart from the occassional back up into the final show scene if unload falters. Possibly a redesign (if needed) could alieviate WDW`s problem?

miles1

I too am glad the gentleman is going to be OK. But it just goes to show that Disney doesn't throw all those seemingly endles safety spiels at us for nothing. Things can happen in even the most innocuous looking situation.

For example, Sunday night I fell down the outside stairs at my own home, that I've probably been up and down hundreds-of-thousands of times. It was Tuesday before I could sit comfortably. Thankfully, no one called Fox News Channel.

imagineersrock

peter11435 said:
Thats assumption. It is very possible that this manys grandchild was only 3-4 years old. In any case the number of people in the ship has nothing to do with this accident.
They showed the wife and granddaughter on the news last night, the girl appeared to be 18+. Like you said though, the age or number of people probably had little to do with the accident.

Main Street Jim

kathyjacks said:
but YOU come one human life is worth so much more then your peter pan ride!I know this is an old post and I haven't been able to get near the end of the post but I hope this person turned out ok.OH and LOOK PETER PAN RIDE IS STILL GOING 2 YEARS LATER:fork:

Could you please clarify what you're saying here - in *English*? I have no idea what this is saying.

All I said was, how freakin' hard is it to just step on the load belt - which *is* moving, I know that - and follow along with the boat right next to you?? It's like you're standing still, if the belt and the vehicle are moving exactly together and at the same speed. As for how many people can fit in a vehicle, we've fit three adults in one with no problem. Now I know that the gentleman was older, but still...it just amazes me sometimes...that out of millions of guests that come to our parks, that there are a few..."simple"...incidents that get all blown out of proportion, whether it's by the Slantinel, Internet message boards, whatever - that make it seem a lot worse than what it really was.

jsfra209

Are they supposed to stop the ride for a moment to let "a person of age" get in? I know they do it if the guest is handicapped. Can the cm make an on the spot descision to pause the ride, or might that offend the person? I'm curious about that.

Plus I feel really bad for that man, how horrible! :(

Bravesfn1

TTATraveler said:
I don't think anyone here has expressed any calousness. I don't think anyone here takes pleasure in hearing that someone was seriously injured at Disney. However, we know how this type of incident plays out in the media. People here have a genuine interest in Disney and don't like to see Disney attacked for incidents that are freak accidents or clearly not responsible for.

True, but many people on this board are always quick to defend Disney. Now, it doesn't sound like Disney is at fault from the information on the accident. However, some people on this board have the idea in their heads that Disney can do no wrong and never are at fault for anything. What media sources are just waiting to attack or flame Disney? People please be more specific that make generalized comments like, "The media is salivating to flame Disney". Who in the media is always attacking Disney?

Bucks4WDW

I'll pray for you too Brad. . .

I am a bit suprised they do not have a light curtain under the ride that would automatically shut the ride down if the beam was broken, such as a person falling below the ride. That should be common sense.

Glad to hear he is okay.

bgraham34

Most times accidents are problems related to people not listening. But you can see some rides are not that easily accessible for certain individuals. I feel bad that people get hurt but not all cases its Disney's fault but sometimes it is. But accidents do happen and if things happened on a regular basis the media could blast Disney all the time, but Disney has a great safety record.

Bravesfn1

kathyjacks said:
:mad: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Don't you think the man would have avoided it if he could.I am a disney lover too and by no means am flaming them as matter of fact I called today to pay for an upcoming trip but YOU come one human life is worth so much more then your peter pan ride!I know this is an old post and I haven't been able to get near the end of the post but I hope this person turned out ok.OH and LOOK PETER PAN RIDE IS STILL GOING 2 YEARS LATER:fork:

My sentiments exactly....applause

SusanAnne

I feel so bad for this man and his family. It was their vacation time as well, and you always want to make special happy memories at Disney. I understand things like this can happen, it's just sad when it does.

Leaving for Disney in 9 days, yah!!!!!!: :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom