Peter Pan Ride Accident

wdwishes2005

Like has been said before, I don't see how this is any different from anybody else slipping/falling on any moving sidewalks or escalators.

speck76

wdwishes2005 said:
Like has been said before, I don't see how this is any different from anybody else slipping/falling on any moving sidewalks or escalators.
because it is at WDW...it is a "sexy" accident to the press....more so than a mundane mall incident

eclipseSD

The area in question...

Here's the best picture I could find:

peter_pan_loading_02.jpg

JeffKatzenburg

Well..lets see...they guy was old, yet trying to be young at heart...unfortunately, reality set in and he tripped/slipped getting on the ride...therefore, most likely not Disney's fault...sooooo unless he dies, its just not that interesting, happens all the time....but hey! I hear that they are planning a ride on Bambi 2! Its going in the old Superstar TV building. Really you say?! No, not really.

"Yes, I know my name is mispelled...What are you gonna do? Fire me?"

Fantasia Hat Icon=Abomination

as of 9:40 PM

Man injured on Peter Pan ride at Disney

From Staff Reports
Posted February 14, 2006, 9:40 PM EST <!-- Start related content rail --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=150 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica">
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>
<IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="/includes/topix.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.orlandosentinel.com%2Fbusiness%2Ftourism%2Forl-bk-peterpan021406%2C0%2C5122464%2Cprint.story%3Flast_modified%3D2%2F14%2F06%2010%3A12%3A49" frameBorder=0 width=150 scrolling=no height=0></IFRAME></TD></TR><TR><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
spacer.gif

<!-- End related content rail -->
A man in his early 70s was injured while boarding the Peter Pan ride at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom Tuesday night, but early reports that he suffered life-threatening injuries were revised and he is in "good shape," the Orange County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.

The man, who's identity was not immediately released, was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center, according to sheriff's office spokesman Jim Solomons.

"At this point in the investigation it appears as though the wife and granddaughter got on the ride," which consists of moving vehicles designed to look like miniature pirate ships, Solomons wrote in a news release. "The man apparently fell off of the moving conveyor belt into the path of the next vehicle."

The sheriff's office received a call at 6:40 p.m., Solomons wrote, and initially believed the man's injuries were severe. Investigators were dispatched to the hospital, where Solomons reported that the man's condition, "dramatically improved."

Solomons said because the man's injuries are not serious and there is no crime associated with the incident the sheriff's office is clearing the scene and will conduct no investigation.

WDWCPbrandon

Kwit35 said:
Just curious, do they slow down the ride for people who have difficulty getting on? Never really noticed.

although it has already been answered, Peter Pan's Flight can't be slowed down...unlike most other Disney attractions that have a continuous load. And you don't want to stop the ride because there was always the possibility of having a "boat failure" which would take several minutes for engineering to reset. I worked there during my college program in 2001 and I think that was one of the hardest things to tell a guest, especially after they had just gotten of Buzz or HM where they could slow the ride down or even stop it and start it back up if they needed to.

Kwit35

Thanks. I know that several rides can slow down for slower passengers, but I never remembered that particular ride doing that.

kathyjacks

Main Street Jim said:
Next, it'll be Mansion, then SSE, then Buzz, then...I dunno...sheesh...can these people not *walk* along with the load belts?? I mean, yeah, I feel bad for the guy, but *come on*...

:mad: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Don't you think the man would have avoided it if he could.I am a disney lover too and by no means am flaming them as matter of fact I called today to pay for an upcoming trip but YOU come one human life is worth so much more then your peter pan ride!I know this is an old post and I haven't been able to get near the end of the post but I hope this person turned out ok.OH and LOOK PETER PAN RIDE IS STILL GOING 2 YEARS LATER:fork:

radiohost

Things like this shouldnt happen to guests at disney world, but unfortuanely the laws of physics deny us of that. I feel bad for the victim ands his family, especially while they wre at WDW. Prayers out to the family for a speedy recovery.:cool:

Pongo

WESH 2 news (Orlando) just did a report on it.

An eyewitness said they "completely shut down every ride, gift shop, everything."

Other than that, nothing new.

But they did bring up the past casualties over the years.

:brick: Can't ever miss an opportunity, can they?

Tom

Beta Return
Pongo said:

An eyewitness said they "completely shut down every ride, gift shop, everything."

An eyewitness said that the entire f-ing park shut down because of this? Either Disney has a case of over-reation-itis, or this eye witness is an idiot. I predict the latter. EDIT: Ok, so maybe it was just Fantasyland that shut down completely. Still seems like quite an overreaction to close the restaurants and evac other rides just because someone got hurt in an isolated area. Sure, emerg crews needed to get to him, but I don't think an emerg evac on Small World was quite necessary. I dunno - just seems overreactive.

Bummer about the old man falling between the boats. Glad he's ok. Poo happens - it's a safe ride. Let's just hope for the best as far as the media goes...and that it just stays local. I hope not to see it on Fox News.

LudwigVonDrake

I'm sorry to hear he was injured.....BUT:

Most people don't realize the belt is moving at the same speed as the ship? You can't figure that out? I once asked the CM on duty for the ride and he said most people can't "coordinate" the step from the belt to the ship. He told me he has plucked several people from the same fate as this guy. A lot of people who can't do it, end up falling into the ship not under it.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
When I left, Tomorrowland was definately still open, and people looked to be going into Adventureland. Any path that even remotely led to Fantasyland was shut down though.

imagineersrock

Pongo said:

You beat me to it...

Gotta love how they did the split-frame to show each and every recent thing that has gone wrong at Disney. :brick:

dizpins14

The only thing i can see disney being blamed for is not stating how many people are in a ship. Those ships really are not made for 3 people and it sounds as if they were all trying to fit in one boat. Since the man is in his 70s I would assume the grandchild had to be an older grandchild and not a little one where it is easier to fit 3 people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom