Peter Pan Ride Accident

TTATraveler

speck76 said:
well....the guy is old, and he might have not been in good enough physical condition to board the ride with the speed expected.

Very true. With a name like Peter Pan's Flight, I am sure the man didn't think this ride would pose a safety risk.

speck76

dumboflyer said:
Have some compassion! What if it was your dad or grandpa? What a calous group! Let's pray for this family!

you can pray.....we will discuss

I have no problems with your praying.....but don't slam me for not following suit

cj2me

Updated As Of 9:03

Report: Man injured on Peter Pan ride at Disney

From Staff Reports
Posted February 14, 2006, 9:03 PM EST

The condition of a man injured earlier today while attempting to board the Peter Pan ride at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom has dramatically improved, said an Orange County Sheriff's spokesperson.

A man was seriously injured while attempting to board the Peter Pan ride at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom today, said an Orange County Sheriff's spokesperson.

The man, born in 1935, has yet to be identified, but according to Jim Solomons with the Orange County Sheriff's Office, he was injured with what was originally considered life-threatening injuries and transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Because the man's injuries are not serious and there is no crime associated with this incident the Sheriff's Office is clearing the scene and will conduct no investigation.

It appears the man was with his wife and grand-daughter when trying to get onto the ride, which consists of seats that move along a conveyor belt. The victim's wife and grand-daughter made it onto the ride, but when the man tried to get onto the seat, he fell off of the moving conveyor belt into the path of the next vehicle, said Solomons.

TTATraveler

dumboflyer said:
Have some compassion! What if it was your dad or grandpa? What a calous group! Let's pray for this family!

I don't think anyone here has expressed any calousness. I don't think anyone here takes pleasure in hearing that someone was seriously injured at Disney. However, we know how this type of incident plays out in the media. People here have a genuine interest in Disney and don't like to see Disney attacked for incidents that are freak accidents or clearly not responsible for.

TTATraveler

cj2me said:
Report: Man injured on Peter Pan ride at Disney

From Staff Reports
Posted February 14, 2006, 9:03 PM EST

The condition of a man injured earlier today while attempting to board the Peter Pan ride at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom has dramatically improved, said an Orange County Sheriff's spokesperson.

A man was seriously injured while attempting to board the Peter Pan ride at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom today, said an Orange County Sheriff's spokesperson.

The man, born in 1935, has yet to be identified, but according to Jim Solomons with the Orange County Sheriff's Office, he was injured with what was originally considered life-threatening injuries and transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Because the man's injuries are not serious and there is no crime associated with this incident the Sheriff's Office is clearing the scene and will conduct no investigation.

It appears the man was with his wife and grand-daughter when trying to get onto the ride, which consists of seats that move along a conveyor belt. The victim's wife and grand-daughter made it onto the ride, but when the man tried to get onto the seat, he fell off of the moving conveyor belt into the path of the next vehicle, said Solomons.

Very glad to hear that. Hopefully we won't see the headlines "Peter Pan's Tragedy"

askmike1

I find this news terrible. I think if there is anything Disney can do, they should (like maybe add sensors that will automatically shut the ride if someone falls on the belt).

imagineer boy

That's great to hear that he'll be doing fine. Very unfortunate accident though.

Unfortunately this is gonna go to the list of the M:S, Typhoon Lagoon, and ToT ride accidents that's gonna give the media more oppertunity to throw crap around.

RonAnnArbor

Here here...this sort of thing happens constantly in the parks, not just Disney but everywhere. What is surprising is that this one got reported at all. It hit the press because an EMS vehicle was obviously dispatched to the park, and that becomes public record. Reporters are just waiting for an EMS dispatch to come across the wires, let alone one to Disney. As to the gentlemen in question, I hope he recovers soon and that his family is okay - and it sounds like that is the case. On the other hand, I would never suggest my 70-year old mother try to get on a ride where you have to lift yourself into a seat - she can't even do that with a car without maximum assistance. People need to use judgement when doing things, and I hate to say it, 70 year old or no 70 year old, not everyone uses judgement. Just watch some parents try to drag their screaming 6 year olds onto Space Mountain.

mayrag

It's very sad to hear this accidents happen in a place where happiness is all around. But this kind of rides are difficult to get in, everytime I get to ride Haunted Mansion, Buzz or even Peter Pan, I do it quick and anxiously.
I always think that I might fall getting in the car, also you have to know that you usually have things in your hands that can interfere with you in the event of you tripping over.

I hope that this man gets better and this was just an unfortunate event.

Will just try to be careful from now on

lcsrig

Very thankful to hear that this man is ok. I worry about busting my rear everytime I walk on that conveyor belt.
Also glad the ride is going!! We leave in 11 days!!!!!!!!!

Miss Bell

I'm sorry that this happened and hope that the man and his family will all be fine.

As to the "safety" or "danger" of the ride, I was at the mall a couple of weeks ago, when a woman fell on the escalator. This did not make the news. All I'm saying is, can Peter Pan's Flight be more dangerous than an escalator? This ride design has been in use for, what is it? 50 years?

trr313

Main Street Jim said:
Next, it'll be Mansion, then SSE, then Buzz, then...I dunno...sheesh...can these people not *walk* along with the load belts?? I mean, yeah, I feel bad for the guy, but *come on*...

Come on let's be nice, it was an accident I'm sure he can *walk* just fine....:(

askmike1

Kwit35 said:
Just curious, do they slow down the ride for people who have difficulty getting on? Never really noticed.
Not in Peter Pan, the ride system does not allow it. Either it goes at normal pace or the whole ride stops (and needs to be reset).

Also, go back to the Orlando Sentinel for another update (the man is in good shape).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom