Permanent Ralph Breaks The Internet Family Play Zone Debuts at Epcot

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
There’s really nothing about this installation that is any more permanent than past festival playgrounds. They have all included steel structures, artificial turf, and some concrete walls and paths. Not saying this one won’t stick around longer. But it really is no different than those that came before it.

Well now that you have festivals from August-May non stop maybe they realized rebuilding something all the time no longer made sense.

Cmdr_Crimson

Can't wait untill the D23 Expo when they make the announcement that they will be adding..........A slide to the playground...
agtmbomg.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

The Studio’s promotional money doesn’t go as far as it used to.

Same thing goes to Promote Zootopia...What did they do? Put in the one area no one hardly goes to or just to kill time until their next Fastpass becomes active
https://i0.wp.com//wp-content/uploads/2016/01/zootopia-exhibit-disney-animal-kingdom.jpg?resize=800%2C400&ssl=1

CoasterSnoop

Parents, do your kids a favor and, if you take them to a playground at Epcot, take them to a cool one.
mission-space-advanced-training-lab-gallery04.jpg

r-1390962985-MissionSpaceAdvancedTrainingLab9.jpg

I think the issue people have with this isn't that it's a playground, it's that it has all the makings of a temporary one (one you could find by driving down the street from your own home) yet for some reason is permanent. Disney set the standard, even with permanent playgrounds, and this doesn't meet it.

That said, this is definitely not some great atrocity and absolutely not the worst thing to happen to Epcot and if kids like it, then there's no real issue. But kids know the difference between the Ralphs and the Space Bases of the world.

eddie104

Parents, do your kids a favor and, if you take them to a playground at Epcot, take them to a cool one.
mission-space-advanced-training-lab-gallery04.jpg

r-1390962985-MissionSpaceAdvancedTrainingLab9.jpg

I think the issue people have with this isn't that it's a playground, it's that it has all the makings of a temporary one (one you could find by driving down the street from your own home) yet for some reason is permanent. Disney set the standard, even with permanent playgrounds, and this doesn't meet it.

That said, this is definitely not some great atrocity and absolutely not the worst thing to happen to Epcot and if kids like it, then there's no real issue. But kids know the difference between the Ralphs and the Space Bases of the world.
Well of course this is not some groundbreaking attraction. Yet we have posters on here acting like it’s the end of the world. Some were funny but others where being serious.

The Empress Lilly

Since when is the four year old the standard of what makes EPCOT great? Why should anything get a free pass because a toddler may like it?

Also, if a preschooler wants to go to a playground, then take them out of EPCOT and to a playground.

The irony of these boards where they still try to pretend like Tom Sawyer’s Island is beloved and needed becasue kids need a quiet spot to play and when Epcot builds a spot like that everyone jumps into a frenzy about how pathetic and sad Epcot is for building this.
TSI is not a kiddie playground. ;)

Neither was the Imageworks. That genius family play area worthy of EPCOT.

This garbage however falls short for several reasons: it is a gratuitous IP tie-in, it is cheap off-the-shelf, it is exclusionary (a family park is not a kiddie park), and it clashes with the mood, aesthetics, theme and purpose of EPCOT.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Flower and garden festival has had two or three playgrounds just like this each year for over a decade.

Here’s just one example

View attachment 307810
The slow demise of EPCOT where this is but a next logical step doesn't diminish the absolute distance between this one-on-every-city-block playground and Horizons, which once stood opposite. It only makes the demise less immediately obvious.

Biff215

The demise of Epcot started decades ago... this isn’t a step just a continuation

View attachment 308370
View attachment 308371
I honestly don’t understand why past mistakes are often used to excuse or downplay today’s mistakes, particularly at Epcot (see also GotG in WS). For me personally, the new playground doesn’t bother me because it ruins the original EPCOT Center, but rather because it cheapens a world class Disney theme park today.

peter11435

I honestly don’t understand why past mistakes are often used to excuse or downplay today’s mistakes, particularly at Epcot (see also GotG in WS). For me personally, the new playground doesn’t bother me because it ruins the original EPCOT Center, but rather because it cheapens a world class Disney theme park today.
It’s not about excusal based on past mistakes. It’s about showing that the park hasn’t been what some believe it should be for decades.

Even this playground. You yourself say it cheapens a world class Disney park. But the fact is there has been one nearly just like it off and on for well over a decade.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom