Permanent Ralph Breaks The Internet Family Play Zone Debuts at Epcot

Kman101

So... you think people with kids are going to spend all day at this playground? Is that the basis of your attack on Disney?

It's funny because I've often heard remarks the play area they do for the festivals should be permanent. So now it is. And people are outraged. The outrage is a bit much. Not liking how it looks is one thing and I get that. But there's always this false outrage because they didn't do it how some think they should have. (Not trying to say there's anything wrong with wanting better either!) Just an observation.

Castle Cake Apologist

The irony of these boards where they still try to pretend like Tom Sawyer’s Island is beloved and needed becasue kids need a quiet spot to play and when Epcot builds a spot like that everyone jumps into a frenzy about how pathetic and sad Epcot is for building this.

If you can't see the difference between TSI and an off-the-shelf playground with no themeing, I have no idea what to tell you. Lord.

These all look 100x more engaging and aesthetically-pleasing to me than what is in the pictures at the beginning of this thread. Why couldn't something like this have been built instead?

Yep. The same Walt that built this at Disneyland...
View attachment 307820

...which was in Holidayland, a picnic area that was not exactly considered an official land of the park. It wasn't built next to the hub. I also imagine playground technology has improved leaps and bounds since 1956.

Last edited:

Br’er Rabbit

If you can't see the difference between TSI and an off-the-shelf playground with no themeing, I have no idea what to tell you. Lord.

These all look 100x more engaging and aesthetically-pleasing to me than what is in the pictures at the beginning of this thread. Why couldn't something like this have been built instead?

...which was in Holidayland, a picnic area that was not exactly considered an official land of the park. It wasn't built next to the hub. I also imagine playground technology has improved leaps and bounds since 1956.

Yeah I see a difference. TSI takes up a huge chunk of land that is a pain to get to that can be used for so much more. This playground takes up a patch of grass that wouldn’t of been used for anything else.

Nextinline

So... you think people with kids are going to spend all day at this playground? Is that the basis of your attack on Disney?
Not sure that I'd call what I said an "attack", but the basis of my position is that Disney should be known for revolutionizing the family entertainment industry. I don't see this as a move in that direction. I don't think it is out of line to criticize Disney when they fall short of a certain standard- regardless of how trivial the decision is perceived to be. (I'm assuming the basis of your comment was that I used the word "only" suggesting that the "only" thing they would do is play on the playground)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Not sure that I'd call what I said an "attack", but the basis of my position is that Disney should be known for revolutionizing the family entertainment industry. I don't see this as a move in that direction. I don't think it is out of line to criticize Disney when they fall short of a certain standard- regardless of how trivial the decision is perceived to be. (I'm assuming the basis of your comment was that I used the word "only" suggesting that the "only" thing they would do is play on the playground)

Because you made it sound like this is what people are spending money for when it's not? It's just a short pit stop for kids to blow off steam. No one's coming to the park for this.

rnese

No. No. No. No. No. Just.......No!
EPCOT Center is NOT supposed to........just......just........
I can't. I'm...Seriously.......

OK. Is this some sort of "hint" that maybe we can expect something...(gulp)...permanent for "Wreck It Ralph" in The Park Formerly Known AS EPCOT Center?

KBLovedDisney

The superiority in opinions is something else. LOL. This is a playground folks. You sound ridiculous complaining about it. 10 pages for this?
I get the necessity of needing a place where the young ones can dish out their extra energy and giving the parents a much needed break, but the lack of covering is my only major problem with this. I don't have kids, but I do have some concerns on that playground equipment cooking in that Florida heat without a covering.

Kman101

I get the necessity of needing a place where the young ones can dish out their extra energy and giving the parents a much needed break, but the lack of covering is my only major problem with this. I don't have kids, but I do have some concerns on that playground equipment cooking in that Florida heat without a covering.

I don't have kids either. But this playground is such a non-issue. I get everyone sees things differently but the outrage over this is over the top. LOL. I've said they could have done it better but I'm both shocked and not shocked at the outrage. Not liking the look is one thing ... again, no doubts they could and maybe should have done it better.

KBLovedDisney

I don't have kids either. But this playground is such a non-issue. I get everyone sees things differently but the outrage over this is over the top. LOL. I've said they could have done it better but I'm both shocked and not shocked at the outrage. Not liking the look is one thing ... again, no doubts they could and maybe should have done it better.
I mean, heck. If it is based on Wreck-it-Ralph, Disney could put some imagination into a shade/covering for the entire playground and make it look like the top of a cupcake and call the playground Sugar Rush!

Ha! Sugar Rush...well that is what happens when kids get a lot of sugar in their systems.

LSLS

I'm fine with it. Do I wish it was more? Absolutely. I'm thinking how much our kid loves the playground in AK, (and Honey I shrunk the Kids before it closed) so I think I was hoping for something closer to those. I also don't get much in how Ralph applies. But eh, it's a small playground (it actually looks near-identical to one right by our house), that is taking up no real estate and not taking away from anything. It's fine. It's something to do for 15 minutes. I doubt any kid is going to get super excited to go to Epcot for this, but I don't see how it hurts a thing if some kids enjoy it for a little while.

SuperStretccch

Honestly, the most disappointing thing about this is that the "theming" doesn't even try. Aside from the characters being on a few things here and there, this just looks like any other generic playground area.

I guess it's okay for small children and their parents, but other than that, lame. Could've done much better 👎

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Honestly, the most disappointing thing about this is that the "theming" doesn't even try. Aside from the characters being on a few things here and there, this just looks like any other generic playground area.

I guess it's okay for small children and their parents, but other than that, lame. Could've done much better 👎

I think since it is supposed to change "seasonally", they made it not so elaborate so that it can be easily flipped. Looks similar to the playgrounds they always have during the festivals, so they are consistent.

Missing20K

People can say what they want about this installation, but to compare it with HISTK in anyway does a major disservice to HISTK. HISTK was highly themed, shaded, integrated into the park and it's theme, and had virtually no "off-the-shelf" playground parts.

Apples and oranges. They are both fruit. These are both playgrounds. Virtually all similarities end there.

EPICOT

Why not put this inside Innoventions?! EPCOT is a heat-stroke waiting to happen already. Plus it could be one part of a redeveloped/reimagined spine of EPCOT. I’m not opposed to a playground, but 1) don’t make it intrusive to the surrounding area 2) make it unique to Disney 3) make it comfortable to play on/watch your kids. This playground looks like it breaks all 3 rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom