Perks? How bout morning newspaper at every resort

Iteachwood

Morning newspaper should be at door of every guest in disney, Not just delux ( not sure if moderate,don't think so) Hec they probably get them for pennies!
Nit picking? Not really...spend lots money at WDW...morning paper be nice!
Now I don't want all the nay sayers coming out and saying " next you will want them to draw ur beth every morning"..Its a Flippen Newspaper!!

Wilt Dasney

But ultimately, it's a moot point. Because WDW doesn't want to afford people the option of reading the newspaper. Because if you're reading a newspaper, you might see an ad for a sale in one of the outlet malls or a restaurant a short cab ride away, and that's time you're not spent at Disney potentially buying Disney stuff.

If we're looking for problems with the idea, I'll just add that I think handing out local papers to tourists would be an odd fit. People who never set foot in Orlando except for vacation aren't going to be interested in front page stories about the Orange County school board or potholes in Winter Garden. (And Disney probably wouldn't be too wild about Jason Garcia's less-than-pixie-dusted reporting on their own business practices showing up in their hotels.)

I think USA Today -- with its classic "voice (and ads) from nowhere" -- would be the only paper likely to show up on property. I know I've seen discarded copies sitting around the Poly, and someone said they actually were delivering it at AKL earlier up.

Upvote 0

Minnie1976

All the paper has in it is depressing stuff. I don't want a paper at Disney. Prefer to find out the bad, depressing news when I get home and not during my Disney vacation.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

If we're looking for problems with the idea, I'll just add that I think handing out local papers to tourists would be an odd fit. People who never set foot in Orlando except for vacation aren't going to be interested in front page stories about the Orange County school board or potholes in Winter Garden. (And Disney probably wouldn't be too wild about Jason Garcia's less-than-pixie-dusted reporting on their own business practices showing up in their hotels.)

I wasn't really thinking about the local stories, so much as the local ads. I'm sure some local businesses would love to be able to get some advertising on WDW property. Besides, even if the main section is local news, you're getting politics and national and world news too...

You are right about how USA Today is the more logical fit when it comes to news, especially for WDW travelers. Even people who are really craving news would probably check out the major stories and then things affecting just their state.

Upvote 0

stitch8834

I agree with all the other posts, a newpaper is a silly idea. As an overseas visitor even a copy of USA Today holds little interest for me.

But free Wi-Fi would be great, as my smartphone is very expensive to use in the US.

Upvote 0

mjmyers10

As for the wi-fi, when staying at DVC Resorts on points, you get free hardwired internet. If have a Mac, you can use the airport card to create a wifi signal. You could also bring a small wireless router to hook up in your room.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

When I travel on business, I typically read the USA Today or whatever local paper is left at my door. I actually like reading the local paper (and I also enjoy watching the local nightly newscast) because I find the comparisons to my local paper and TV news interesting. There are some universal similarities, but some unique local differences, too.

I agree with most, though, that there are valid reasons why Disney would not want you "exploring" the outside world. Namely, the fear that you might then drop Disney-earmarked dollars elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

I don't know, I'm a big fan of tuning out the rest of the world while at The World.

Funny..I was in the World when Princess Diana died. We were totally freaked out. We were so unaware of the outside world, so when we saw the story on the news, we couldn't really grasp the reality. I remember talking about it while waiting in lines, and many people we met from the UK had not heard the news. Back then, there were no smartphones connecting us to civilization!

Upvote 0

sbkline

I think USA Today -- with its classic "voice (and ads) from nowhere" -- would be the only paper likely to show up on property. I know I've seen discarded copies sitting around the Poly, and someone said they actually were delivering it at AKL earlier up.

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in April, and we had the USA Today at our door every morning. I thumbed through it a couple times, but most days, it didn't get looked at. I think some days, I just left it there and never did pick it up. So apparently, it is a perk for Deluxe resorts. And I have no problem with that, for a couple reasons. One reason, is simply the fact that you are paying more to stay in a Deluxe Resort, and that price tag naturally involves getting more "perks". One perk in this case, is getting the newspaper. And then there is another practical reason why it is not realistic to expect a copy of the paper at your door in a moderate or value resort. The rooms open to the outside, rather than to a hallway, and they can't guarantee the weather. There is no guarantee that there isn't gonna be gusts of wind that blow the newspapers all over the place, or that it isn't going to rain and get the papers all soggy. Enough newspapers get wasted in the Deluxe Resorts by people who don't even care to read them, but in the moderates and values, there is too much possibility of the papers being blown away or soaked for the people who do want to read them. I guess they could rubber band them and put them in a bag, but I tend to agree with those who say that they should just make newspapers available for those who want them, rather than wasting a bunch on the many people who don't want them...although I don't see the problem with a landfill. It's paper after all, so it will decompose back into the ground...although I'm still of the old school of just taking burnables out and, well...burning them. That's what I do at my house. :shrug:

Upvote 0

twodisneyfans

How about not making people pay $13.99 for a refillable mug they say we're only allowed to use at one resort?

Honestly...I don't travel resort to resort...and if I did, I wouldn't be carrying a mug just to get soft drinks.

I figure my wife and I are such coke-a-holics, we will get our money's worth at our own resort...

Upvote 0

mp2bill

Morning newspaper should be at door of every guest in disney, Not just delux ( not sure if moderate,don't think so) Hec they probably get them for pennies!
Nit picking? Not really...spend lots money at WDW...morning paper be nice!
Now I don't want all the nay sayers coming out and saying " next you will want them to draw ur beth every morning"..Its a Flippen Newspaper!!
It's all about profit buddy. The fewer things they give away, the more money they make.
I'd prefer free WiFi over a newspaper.

Agreed.

Upvote 0

Disney Dream'n

Nope. I wouldn't care for a paper. I'm on vacation touring from sun up to sn down. I wouldn't have the time to read it or the desire. It would just be a waste of paper and ink.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Deluxe Resorts have internal hallways and are protected from the weather.

Values and Moderates have external hallways and are open to the weather, increasing the likelihood that the paper would get ruined - or causing extra work in wrapping each paper.

Upvote 0

Raven66

I myself don't read the paper. Too much sad stuff going on in the world. I choose to live in my own little bubble. But my husband wouldn't mind reading in the "library" at the end of the night.:eek:

Upvote 0

pooh-san

I would not like to have a newspaper or see one at any time while I'm in Disneyworld. I don't want wi-fi, I'd like to have all calls on my cell phone blocked that don't orginate from inside the parks. I wouldn't even bring my phone, but it's handy to have when the family splits up.

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

I actually try to avoid the news while I'm at Disney... We occasionally put the news on tv before we go to sleep in the hotel room, but I can't be bothered to sit and read a newspaper while I'm in Disney.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

nothing better than at a mod or value resort and waking up to wet newpaper when its rain the the wind is blowing in the direction of your door..or the wind picking the up and blowing them all over the grounds. Do able at the deluxe the rooms are inside. WIFI a better option.

Upvote 0

SAV

No thanks. When I'm at WDW, I don't have the time or interest in a newspaper. When we go to the Beach for the second leg of the trip, I love having one to read.

Upvote 0

Mukta

Deluxe Resorts have internal hallways and are protected from the weather.

Values and Moderates have external hallways and are open to the weather, increasing the likelihood that the paper would get ruined - or causing extra work in wrapping each paper.

This is a very good point. This is probably the reason papers are only given at deluxe resorts.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom