News People mover now reopened!

_caleb

Oh, great- now it’s going to be a low-tech thing where a CM has to physically push each car along the track? This is just Disney pandering to the entitled snowflakes who think they’re too good for the linear induction motors that were designed and built by Walt Disney himself. This is the last straw for me. No thanks!

VicariousCorpse

Oh, great- now it’s going to be a low-tech thing where a CM has to physically push each car along the track? This is just Disney pandering to the entitled snowflakes who think they’re too good for the linear induction motors that were designed and built by Walt Disney himself. This is the last straw for me. No thanks!
I hope I get Buzz Lightyear to push mine.

JoeCamel

Lawyers said to solve the problem of people standing up, it was this or lapbars.

999th Happy Haunt

Request a stronger CM to ride Rocket Rods instead.

GymLeaderPhil

They have a way to move just 1 car at a time? I thought they were daisy-chained together 5 at a time. I learned something today!
Not while in operation. The maintenance guy was pushing and pulling the separated car manually over the track.

I’m assuming they may have installed sensors to determine if a vehicle has slowed down/stopped that can automatically emergency stop the ride. I think we’re seeing this being tested with the person slowly pushing/pulling the detached car over the track.

Movielover

Not while in operation. The maintenance guy was pushing and pulling the separated car manually over the track.

I’m assuming they may have installed sensors to determine if a vehicle has slowed down/stopped that can automatically emergency stop the ride. I think we’re seeing this being tested with the person slowly pushing/pulling the detached car over the track.

That or its just a pull through to make sure the car can roll over the new magnets / nothing out of place to catch the cars.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Those sensors already exist. Since the system in 1975 vintage they may have been replaced.

So.... no Rocket Rods then? 😉

GymLeaderPhil

Those sensors already exist. Since the system in 1975 vintage they may have been replaced.

So.... no Rocket Rods then? 😉
The track-side sensors only detect vehicle speed and are intended to communicate with the nearby linear induction motors to increase/decrease to keep the trains separated. It’s a novel system of spacing vehicles without having breaks/block sections. It’s also great in theory when the park had a robust maintenance schedule/budget to address any dead LIMs overnight as quickly as a burnt out light bulb. However, if all of the LIMs aren’t working and a vehicle is positioned over too many dead LIMs - that’s when trains start bumping into one another.

The PeopleMover does not have sensors that communicate with the overall ride control system as far as where vehicle X is currently located on the track and as such cannot tell the ride control system to automatically emergency stop. It’s solely up to the three people at the station, who are already occupied with loading/unloading, to visually spot it.

Given the extent of the downtime and pending litigation, I’m thinking that Disney is finally spending money to fix that oversight.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
The track-side sensors only detect vehicle speed and are intended to communicate with the nearby linear induction motors to increase/decrease to keep the trains separated. It’s a novel system of spacing vehicles without having breaks/block sections. It’s also great in theory when the park had a robust maintenance schedule/budget to address any dead LIMs overnight as quickly as a burnt out light bulb. However, if all of the LIMs aren’t working and a vehicle is positioned over too many dead LIMs - that’s when trains start bumping into one another.

The PeopleMover does not have sensors that communicate with the overall ride control system as far as where vehicle X is currently located on the track and as such cannot tell the ride control system to automatically emergency stop. It’s solely up to the three people at the station, who are already occupied with loading/unloading, to visually spot it.

Given the extent of the downtime and pending litigation, I’m thinking that Disney is finally spending money to fix that oversight.

Litigation? Orly? Like cars going bumpy-bumpy into each other and a frivolous lawsuit for "pain and suffering"

Creathir

Litigation? Orly? Like cars going bumpy-bumpy into each other and a frivolous lawsuit for "pain and suffering"
Unfortunately, yes, some people are this ridiculous...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom