People Angry Over Disney Dinning Plan

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Of course you're paying $38 a day for $43 worth of food...for one meal. Plus tack on another $15 for a quick service meal and a snack and the dining plan is still, financially, a deal. I say financially because there are other considerations with the plan. Does it stink that it is less than a deal than it was? Sure. But there's only so long the company is going to take a bath with offering the plan...especially with the number of people going to the restaurants now.
Very true. Realistically I do not eat enough to cover either the new or old plan so the DDE card still works out the best for me.

Ausdaddy

Of course you're paying $38 a day for $43 worth of food...for one meal. Plus tack on another $15 for a quick service meal and a snack and the dining plan is still, financially, a deal. I say financially because there are other considerations with the plan. Does it stink that it is less than a deal than it was? Sure. But there's only so long the company is going to take a bath with offering the plan...especially with the number of people going to the restaurants now.

You've made an incorrect assumption. Disney was not taking a bath with the Dining Plan.

tpieples

When did this happen?

When exactly did they stop including gratuities??
I took advantage of the free dining in September of 2007 and I left no tips at all!!!!!!
I feel awful!
Please tell me that this just happened!!!:eek:

spaceghost

You've made an incorrect assumption. Disney was not taking a bath with the Dining Plan.

That is probably true - I'm sure for what it cost them, they were not taking a bath. There has been some talk (OK, admittedly from Jim Hill) that part of the reason for the changes is that some departments were not making money... people were getting meals for significantly less than what they would normally pay for them. However, I'm sure on the larger scale the plan was very successful financially for the company (keeping people on site and spending money in places they wouldn't normally), or else it would have gone away a long time ago.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When exactly did they stop including gratuities??
I took advantage of the free dining in September of 2007 and I left no tips at all!!!!!!
I feel awful!
Please tell me that this just happened!!!:eek:
Put your mind at ease young padawan. It took effect on 1/1/08 so you did not stiff anyone.:D

mikeb1967

DDP: Great Deal For Me!!!

Hello folks, I agree, why does Disney feel the need to take something great and make it less-great, especially with dining, i mean, let's face it they kinda have a monopoly on dining if you're at the parks, where else are you gonna eat. It's not really feasible to leave the park and go off property just to save a couple bucks on food. Even leaving a park to go to a resort eats up a lot of time, no pun intended! We have been absent from WDW from 1993 til 2005, buying a house, having 2 kids took priority. However in Sept. 2005 with our children being, 7 and 11 we returned for a MYW package with included the FREE DDP. We loved it so much we returned in Sept. 2006, Sept. 2007, all with FREE DDP. And while we were there in 2007 we booked for Sept. 2008 and got it FREE for this year(minus the appetizer and gratuity) But it's FREE and it still saves us a ton of money, well worth it!!! We have enjoyed almost all the park restaurants and many resort restaurants during our past stays. Of course we NEVER would have spent the money to eat at most of these restaurants during these stays. But as my wife and I discovered on our trip in Dec. 2007 to WDW, it definitely adds to the WDW experience to enjoy park and resort dining everyday(especially for FREE, lol). We did book a couple dinners on our Dec. trip, but I can tell you it was not as much fun having to pay for them, and the CS meals get real old, real fast on those days when you don't have a TS dinner, and we are not fancy people having to eat out everyday, but it sure is nice. The dining experience really has become something we look forward to everyday on our trip. So whatever the future holds for the DDP, i hope many of you get to experience a few of WDW's restaurants, it is like another park experience not to be missed, especially for FREE, lol.
mikeb1967@yahoo.com

NCState

Hello folks, I agree, why does Disney feel the need to take something great and make it less-great, especially with dining, i mean, let's face it they kinda have a monopoly on dining if you're at the parks, where else are you gonna eat. It's not really feasible to leave the park and go off property just to save a couple bucks on food. Even leaving a park to go to a resort eats up a lot of time, no pun intended! We have been absent from WDW from 1993 til 2005, buying a house, having 2 kids took priority. However in Sept. 2005 with our children being, 7 and 11 we returned for a MYW package with included the FREE DDP. We loved it so much we returned in Sept. 2006, Sept. 2007, all with FREE DDP. And while we were there in 2007 we booked for Sept. 2008 and got it FREE for this year(minus the appetizer and gratuity) But it's FREE and it still saves us a ton of money, well worth it!!! We have enjoyed almost all the park restaurants and many resort restaurants during our past stays. Of course we NEVER would have spent the money to eat at most of these restaurants during these stays. But as my wife and I discovered on our trip in Dec. 2007 to WDW, it definitely adds to the WDW experience to enjoy park and resort dining everyday(especially for FREE, lol). We did book a couple dinners on our Dec. trip, but I can tell you it was not as much fun having to pay for them, and the CS meals get real old, real fast on those days when you don't have a TS dinner, and we are not fancy people having to eat out everyday, but it sure is nice. The dining experience really has become something we look forward to everyday on our trip. So whatever the future holds for the DDP, i hope many of you get to experience a few of WDW's restaurants, it is like another park experience not to be missed, especially for FREE, lol.
mikeb1967@yahoo.com

You are so right Mike!:wave:

2gether

Dde

Very true. Realistically I do not eat enough to cover either the new or old plan so the DDE card still works out the best for me.

Us too. Of course, there is the new 18% tip requirement......

To be honest though, we just did a short trip in which we used DDE 3 times. At each of the meals I added to the 18% tip because the service was so good. Since the DDP removed tips I have seen a significant improvement in service.

One of the waiters was so good we tipped him 30% (on a very expensive meal). In fact, I will name him: if you go to Citrico's ask for Malek. Our favorite waiter in a long time.

2gether

Union

mikeb1967@yahoo.com

My understanding from the many threads throughout the internet is that the removal of the tip from DDP and the addition of it to DDE was a result of a new contract and at the behest of the union. Apparently the servers felt the tips with DDP were not as good as they could earn, and that people were tipping off the 20% reduced price for DDE (which, for example, results in a net loss of $4 to the wait staff on a meal of $100 at 20% tip).

I had promised myself I would not tip extra now that I am compelled to tip 18% on DDE, but the service was just so good I couldn't help myself.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
How about using the default font...

I so agree. :wave:

If I'm going to put that much effort into writing an essay, I'd make certain that:

• The font was easy on the eyes to read,
  • It would be broken up into small paragraphs for ease of reading.

Certain things make me just skip over someones posts. :shrug:

marinoalulema

Account Suspended
dining plan

hey there everyone
any news on the free dining for sept yet?
i went in sept 2007 for 7 days and was not offered to book a bounce back package with free dining as other were
we were also there in dec 2007 for 5 days and there was no offer made then either

mikeb1967

DDP FREE Dining

Hello, the bounce back free DDP was offered in Sept. 2007 for Sept. 2008. We were there from the 13-22nd and had to call a special extension and book it from our room during our stay. We never got a notice in our room describing the offer, so we asked at the front desk and they gave us the extension to call. Booked for Sept. 12-21st 2008 with FREE DDP, again-sweet!

And I'll use any font I darn well please,

if you don't like it,

don't read it...

Is that spaced out enough for ya??? :kiss:

MikeB

grahamcrackerz5

I thought I heard that the tip removal was caused by the workers union? Because of the time it took to get the tip thru their paycheck or something? :veryconfu If so, the blame should be aimed at the correct people.

This is 100% true. I am a former CM and we are going down on Tuesday. When we booked, we were NOT told about the changes until I called a week later to add someone to our reservations. When I called I had the pleasure of speaking to possibly the grouchiest lady that I have ever encountered within the Disney Company. She happily made the 'gratuity not included' info known to me at the end of that conversation. When I hung up I called a friend of mine who I used to work with that now works down in Orlando and he verified that they had taken out not only the tip but also the appetizer.

This came about because the waitstaff ad been repeatedly complaining about not being able to take home their tips from their DDP Guests the same night that they served them as with regular guests. They would have to wait until thir next paycheck to get paid for these tips and also they had to claim the full 18% tip rather than claim the minimum tip allowed by the state (which I think is 10% - don't quote me, I'm not positive since it's been quite awhile since I've waited tables) However, what they are quickly finding out is that Disney does NOT add in the tip for DDP guests any longer at the waitstaff's request so they are LOSING tips. They are only getting the 18% added in to parties of 6 or more that DO NOT have the DDP. And as a PP had mentioned, it is NOT customary for guests from other countries to leave any kind of tip as in most other countries waitstaff receive a much higher wage and therefore tips are nonexistent. So waitstaff in Disney already 'know' not to expect a to from European or foreign guests.

When I expressed my dissatisfaction about the DDP and how if I had known ahead of time I would have rethought my plan, I was reminded that tipping is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY and in no way affects the service that you receive nor affects the way that you are treated as a guest. Basically, it was put to me this way, if I get service that is WAY above and beyond what I expect to receive going in then it is my choice if I want to leave a tip or not. But otherwise, leave my money at home.

I get the feeling that there are 2 sides of the fence so to speak with the Disney Employees down there. I think that the non-waitstaff feels a little bit like the waitstaff pushed that proverbial envelope too far and now they got what they asked for, they don't like it. Does that kinda make sense? Sorta like the old adage 'be careful what you wish for cuz you may just get it'

Anyway, if the DDP doesn't change before we go in August, we most likely won't be opting for it again. Sad because we really like having everything paid in advance. I agree that sometimes the reservation times can be a PITA but that's really not so bad.It's been wonderful in geting us to try different things! And we can't wait to try the Yak & Yeti!! :sohappy:

JimboJones123

For giggles, we did a sample for out 14 day DDP trip in August. We will need to make sure to bring an extre $230 at least on our trip. DANG! That's with 15% tips. We wouldn't be tipping that much out of pocket because we wouldn't order such large meals and split many places. Our tips would be about $145. If we tipped on just the part of the "plan" that the DDP plays for on the TS, our tips would be $136.

So what do we do?

Do we tip off the menu price?
$230

Do we tip off what we would have spent?
$145

Or do we tip off what we actually spent on the TS portion of the DDP?
$136

I'm inclined to tip on what we spent. I don't think I would feel any shame in it either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom