People Angry Over Disney Dinning Plan

grahamcrackerz5

JimboJones123 said:
So what do we do?

Do we tip off the menu price?
$230

Do we tip off what we would have spent?
$145

Or do we tip off what we actually spent on the TS portion of the DDP?
$136

I'm inclined to tip on what we spent. I don't think I would feel any shame in it either.

Neither me! When you start to look a REAL NUMBERS rather than refer to it as simply a gratuity, it is pretty shocking! I wonder if most people realize if that it is this much (if going by the menu). Adding another $230, give or take, above and beyond the cost of your DDP that you have already PAID for is hefty to say the least!

And just a quick note, I don't feel as if so many people here are complaining s much as they are voicing their concern and dissatisfaction with something that they were satisfied with and were planning to use in the future as was my family. Price increase was/is to be expected as that is inevitable but this is really a slap in the face of the regular and faithful family guests.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Us too. Of course, there is the new 18% tip requirement......

To be honest though, we just did a short trip in which we used DDE 3 times. At each of the meals I added to the 18% tip because the service was so good. Since the DDP removed tips I have seen a significant improvement in service.

One of the waiters was so good we tipped him 30% (on a very expensive meal). In fact, I will name him: if you go to Citrico's ask for Malek. Our favorite waiter in a long time.
Out of principle I did not care for the mandatory tip but in reality I always tipped around 20%+ of the total non-discounted bill so in truth it really did not effect me save removing the option of a lesser tip for bad service. What myself and a number of other DDE members decided to do is to only tip the mandatory 18% tip (there have been exceptions where we have left more) and in the case of horendously bad service not to use our DDE discount and leave no tip.

tomm4004

I think you're supposed to tip off the menu price. If you want to eat in fancy restaurants, should you not at least be willing to fairly compensate the servers, especially since you're already getting a major bargain, as so many here have pointed out?

If your meal for two comes to $100 that would be say an $18 tip. If you allot $50 of your meal plan to that dinner (for two people) then the tip would be $9. The server is getting short-changed. If I were them, I wouldn't want to serve DDP users. Before this new tip policy, the servers must have really been getting short-changed, because there's no way the plan allowed for them getting a tip off the actual menu prices.

JimboJones123

I think you're supposed to tip off the menu price. If you want to eat in fancy restaurants, should you not at least be willing to fairly compensate the servers, especially since you're already getting a major bargain, as so many here have pointed out?

If your meal for two comes to $100 that would be say an $18 tip. If you allot $50 of your meal plan to that dinner (for two people) then the tip would be $9. The server is getting short-changed. If I were them, I wouldn't want to serve DDP users. Before this new tip policy, the servers must have really been getting short-changed, because there's no way the plan allowed for them getting a tip off the actual menu prices.

So I should be tipping $20 on the $60 I spent on the meal (2 adults 2 kids). Or 33%.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Since when am I the server's agent? Why should the server for my meals be entitled to 33%?

Or should I look at it from another point of view. I am now paying tips on the CS and snacks on the DDP too. Even though I don't get service for them, I am expected to pay a tip for what I spend on that part of the plan as well.

JimboJones123

Out of principle I did not care for the mandatory tip but in reality I always tipped around 20%+ of the total non-discounted bill so in truth it really did not effect me save removing the option of a lesser tip for bad service. What myself and a number of other DDE members decided to do is to only tip the mandatory 18% tip (there have been exceptions where we have left more) and in the case of horendously bad service not to use our DDE discount and leave no tip.

Which is fine if you wern't getting a 50% discount on most meals for 10 days. It seems a lot to throw down for what you are actually spending over a week/week and a half. Oh, and this isn't an invitation to scream CHEAPO.

If they didn't expect a lesser tip, they shouldn't devalue the meal so much to begin with.

JimboJones123

Speaking as Average Joe Disney Guest. This is a crappy idea. I won't ever spend that kind of money to go. Ever. Will never happen for my family of four. It really upsets me that this will be an experience that I will never take part in. As a Disney Fanboy, I don't want to be left out. When this first came out a few months ago, I was more upset about it than anything else. I can say all I want that it would be a terrible idea. But that's just because it wouldn't be something I would ever be able to do.

But then, the more rational side of me set in. I also don't go to V&A. Will probably never go unless I live in Orlando.

I also would LOVE to stay at the Poly for a week. I also realize that I could enjoy having that extra $6K in my bank account and take another 2-3 trips to WDW.

How fun would it be to go on a firework cruise? Not as fun as renting a car for my trip.

Sure, it's easy for me to be "upset" at the concept. But that doesn't mean it isn't a Genius idea. It just isn't for me. It shouldn't upset me. It may cause a very bad PR taste.

But as an alternative, would you rather that Deluxe Resort guests add an extra $100 to their room and have an unlimited fastpass? That's been talked about many times as well. Then there would be a true class distinction within the parks for everyday guests.

WDW has always walked that fine line of not making "less spending" guest feel like lesser guests. While making "higher spending" guests feel much more like royalty.

This would be another step.. but it will have to be handeld very carefully.

dpunky

After reading all these posts on this topic, I'm glad I'm not purchasing the Dinner Plan. Not worth it if you don't eat as much, or want to eat more frequently.

tomm4004

So I should be tipping $20 on the $60 I spent on the meal (2 adults 2 kids). Or 33%.
On the DDP plan, do they bring you an itemized bill at the end of the meal with a total based on menu prices? If not, then there's no way for you to know what the menu cost of your meal was. If they do, then that sounds like a signal to tip off the menu prices.

If I have a $30 meal but have a $10 off coupon, I tip on the $30 not $20.

bugsbunny

I concur. Disney's profits are waaaaaay up at the Parks & Resorts according to the annual shareholders report. So why reduce what we get in the plan by 15-20%, but only reduce the price by $1? I guess Bob Iger wants a new paint job on his house and this is how it gets paid for. :ROFLOL:

lilredfoxie

The part that annoys me the most besides the fact tips arent included anymore, is that no more appetizers, i would rather have an appetizer with my meal than a dessert, I think they should give you a choice, either an appetizer or a dessert for your meal. Ideally they should have left the thing well enough alone, but ah well

tomm4004

The part that annoys me the most besides the fact tips arent included anymore, is that no more appetizers, i would rather have an appetizer with my meal than a dessert, I think they should give you a choice, either an appetizer or a dessert for your meal. Ideally they should have left the thing well enough alone, but ah well
Appetizers cost more than desserts generally. Also, desserts are pre-made (like a cheesecake) and what doesn't get sold probably gets tossed. If you included appetizers and not desserts, you'd have restaurants full of DDP users and nobody eating dessert - because they don't want to pay extra for them. But you still have to make desserts for the few non-DDP users and DDPers who do want them and don't mind paying extra. By including them, they essentially force desserts on all the DDP users. That's my theory anyway.

Disney aren't doing this for you, you know.

kucarachi

Hate to make an example, but remember the Disney Cast Union (whatever they are called) are the ones who filled the grievence of not having the tip added on. Not disney itself. So dont tip them. I know it sounds like a really lousy thing to do but they are telling the public we are cheap by making us fund their college books 20 bucks at a time when disney has more than enough bankroll to simply pay better wages to better servers. You shouldnt make more money than someone working twice as hard at a counter service place simply because the place your eating at charges 50 bucks for pot roast and a picture. Do doctors get a bonus for not leaving scapels in you? Tired of the ungrateful wait staff of america! You are carrying food 100 feet and pouring water into a glass get over yourself!

elizs77

For the most part, this whole thing comes down to just paying attention to changes. I anticipate changes. Yeah, so I don't like the DDP changes. We got it during the free period in 2006, woo hoo! This time we still chose to do the DDP just b/c it fits US. It doesn't fit everyone. Actually, it probably keeps us from having more sit down meals, which is good for us.

I won't go into how I feel about how a lot of people on this issue and most other issues actually suffer from not-reading/paying-attention-syndrome. I don't necessarily mean anyone on this board, but I think you know where I'm going here...

Ausdaddy

Which is fine if you wern't getting a 50% discount on most meals for 10 days. It seems a lot to throw down for what you are actually spending over a week/week and a half. Oh, and this isn't an invitation to scream CHEAPO.

If they didn't expect a lesser tip, they shouldn't devalue the meal so much to begin with.

I really agree with you, Jimbo. Since we're doing free dining this year, I haven't decided how to handle the tip. I've got a lot of thinking to do. I'm still not sure why the union would have asked for this. Surely, a guaranteed tip of 18% is better than gambling on no tip or a lesser tip.

baz212

IMHO its the servers in the buffet and family style restaurants who are going to suffer the most. My dad is a good (20% or more) tipper at TS meals, but he saide he doesn't tip at all unless service is exceptional at buffet, because they only bring drinks, and only about 10% at family style because they only bring food and second helpings but don't take actual orders except for drinks.

tomm4004

Surely, a guaranteed tip of 18% is better than gambling on no tip or a lesser tip.
What was the 18% based on? The actual menu prices? If, let's say, $27 of the $39 per day was allotted to your dinner at France, where does that $27 go? The restaurant (which Disney doesn't own) gets some, Disney gets their cut. How much is left for the server? Certainly nowhere near what they would get if someone was paying out of pocket. I'm sure they'd much rather seeing paying customers at their tables.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom