People Angry Over Disney Dinning Plan

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What was the 18% based on? The actual menu prices? If, let's say, $27 of the $39 per day was allotted to your dinner at France, where does that $27 go? The restaurant (which Disney doesn't own) gets some, Disney gets their cut. How much is left for the server? Certainly nowhere near what they would get if someone was paying out of pocket. I'm sure they'd much rather seeing paying customers at their tables.
From what was reported it was a straight 18% of the menu price.

tomm4004

From what was reported it was a straight 18% of the menu price.
You mean that the servers were getting 18% tips based on the menu prices? This doesn't add up. If as we said, $27 was allotted for the TS meal, but the actual price of the TS meal came to $45 to $50 - which it easily could last year with app, ent, dess and drink - then the server would get 18% of that or $8 to $9. That means that Disney and the restaurant are splitting the $18-19 that is left over. I find it hard to believe that the server is getting a third of that $27. It doesn't leave much for the other two parties. And it wouldn't make sense then that the servers would complain.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You mean that the servers were getting 18% tips based on the menu prices? This doesn't add up. If as we said, $27 was allotted for the TS meal, but the actual price of the TS meal came to $45 to $50 - which it easily could last year with app, ent, dess and drink - then the server would get 18% of that or $8 to $9. That means that Disney and the restaurant are splitting the $18-19 that is left over. I find it hard to believe that the server is getting a third of that $27. It doesn't leave much for the other two parties. And it wouldn't make sense then that the servers would complain.
That is what has been reported from multiple servers on this and other sites. The DDP at this time was also more than likely a loss leader so it was not intended to generate a direct profit.

tomm4004

That is what has been reported from multiple servers on this and other sites. The DDP at this time was also more than likely a loss leader so it was not intended to generate a direct profit.
Thanks. Then it would really not make sense that the servers would complain knowing they were guaranteed 18%. In fact, they will do worse now because even if DDP users tip 18% out of pocket it will be on a lesser amount than previous years since eaters probably won't order appetizers. Before they would have ordered everything since it was included even if they just nibbled at it. The only way this makes sense to me now is if Disney has done it so they and the restaurant can split the $27 and let the servers fend for themselves.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks. Then it would really not make sense that the servers would complain knowing they were guaranteed 18%. In fact, they will do worse now because even if DDP users tip 18% out of pocket it will be on a lesser amount than previous years since eaters probably won't order appetizers. Before they would have ordered everything since it was included even if they just nibbled at it. The only way this makes sense to me now is if Disney has done it so they and the restaurant can split the $27 and let the servers fend for themselves.
Again from what has been reported and not my own personal experiences the servers main gripe was that they had to wait for their pay check to get there tips and were fully taxed on the 18% tip.

bhg469

I hate to rant again but man I would love to look at the dining plan as a deal but i can't. We love to go out to eat when we are on a vacation and counter service can only go so far as being considered a good meal. Its true the dining plan had too much food before but I would love to be offered 1 appetizer for ever 2 people, that is what we would ususally get anyway. The tip part is the thing that gets me the most because i don't like carrying much cash with me at all, i liked having everything in one package and i often left more for the server like an extra $5 or $10 depending on the meal and service but i understand alot of people didn't. I dunno i guess im just ranting.... Im going back to work.

I am usually a good 20% tipper if service was great. I usually dont tip as much if all they do is bring me a drink, I usually give 10% in that case. I have absolutely not problem in tipping for excellent service, and friendly service, as well as to my hair dresser, but that is it. I dont tip my mailman, and others for simply doing their jobs. I have had the DDP and have not had it, and honestly have always had good service with the DDP, I dont know maybe I was lucky, or just nice.....I guess I have never really had bad service at Disney. I am not real picky though, bring me my food while it is hot, in a timely manner, and be friendly about it, and I am happy.

Due to the changes we prob will not do the DDP again though

brucie

The part that annoys me the most besides the fact tips arent included anymore, is that no more appetizers, i would rather have an appetizer with my meal than a dessert, I think they should give you a choice, either an appetizer or a dessert for your meal. Ideally they should have left the thing well enough alone, but ah well

I agree completely!!! I would rather have an appetizer then a dessert!!!!:mad:

JimboJones123

Again from what has been reported and not my own personal experiences the servers main gripe was that they had to wait for their pay check to get there tips and were fully taxed on the 18% tip.
God forbid they pay another 20% in taxes on that extra 40% tips they would have been forced to claim on 30% of their tables to guarantee a tip that will probably be 50% higher. Wow that was a mess.

What I'm saying, Claiming tips on those tables ( you know, what the law requires anyways -- so your aren't commiting tax fraud and all ) wouldn't set you back that much for the tax bracket you are talking about. Expecially concidering how much you may be losing in guaranteed $$$. BTW YOU GET PAID ANYWAYS. JUST LIKE NORMAL AMERICANS. 2-3 WEEKS AFTER YOU WORK. I actually get paid my "sales bonus" 4-5 weeks after I earn it. It doesn't mean I'm not going to get it. What a bunch of Whiney Fraud Artists that I hope get Stabbed in the for their cockeyness and inability to count the eggs going into their baskets.

I'd like to see how many tables are DDP these days. I'd say less than 1/3rd for sure.

I'm sure that the stiff rate has gone up from 0% on these tables to at least 10-15%. Hey, wait a minute, that more than makes up for the added expense in taxes that they are cheating themselves out of paying. Add in the number of undertippers and you are for sure seeing a loss. I can't believe that that many are overtipping to make up that 10-15% difference.

If it's Disney's decision. I understand. That's a lot to be paying. But it's not coming out JUST from the money going to the TS. It accounts for discounted CS on the plan as well. The $27 of worth of the plan going to the TS with $8 going to the server is kinda skewed. That $27 is probably turn out to be $32 going to the TS. $5.50 for the TS and $.50 for the Snack.

JimboJones123

I really agree with you, Jimbo. Since we're doing free dining this year, I haven't decided how to handle the tip. I've got a lot of thinking to do. I'm still not sure why the union would have asked for this. Surely, a guaranteed tip of 18% is better than gambling on no tip or a lesser tip.
I'd never "pay" for the plan. It would never make sense for us. But we always go for the free dining. And a guranteed courtsey charge for something that's "free" still kinda makes me sick and leaves me feeling like stiffing the whole vacation. I will probably be MUCH more strict with my tips. 5-10 for Buffets. 10-15 for TS. I'm talking Drinks MUST stay 1/2 full. I better not have to ask for a side of BBQ sauce AGAIN when my food comes if I ordered it when I ordered my meal. I better not half to wait for 15 minutes for my server to take my key card and swipe it if I already have it out when they drop off the ticket.

JimboJones123

I really agree with you, Jimbo. Since we're doing free dining this year, I haven't decided how to handle the tip. I've got a lot of thinking to do. I'm still not sure why the union would have asked for this. Surely, a guaranteed tip of 18% is better than gambling on no tip or a lesser tip.
I'd never "pay" for the plan. It would never make sense for us. But we always go for the free dining. And a guranteed courtsey charge for something that's "free" still kinda makes me sick and leaves me feeling like stiffing the whole vacation. I will probably be MUCH more strict with my tips. 5-10 for Buffets. 10-15 for TS. I'm talking Drinks MUST stay 1/2 full. I better not have to ask for a side of BBQ sauce AGAIN when my food comes if I ordered it when I ordered my meal. I better not half to wait for 15 minutes for my server to take my key card and swipe it if I already have it out when they drop off the ticket.

Dwarful

We have done the dining plan a few times now. This will be our first trip in August on the new plan. Pam already has our reservations taken care of. The thing that gets me (not just at WDW) is the whole tip process. Why is it that we tip more for a steak than a hamburger when it doesn't require any more work on the waitstaff to bring the plate to the table? Many people on this site agree on what they tip Mousekeeping..the tip price generally is the same regardless if they are at the values or dlx. resorts (Room prices between the various resorts can vary $$$ but Mousekeepers get the same tip..even though rooms are bigger, may have more sinks, more beds, more towels etc).

I will tip based on service. I don't know that I could sit down and say "Ok, I spent $15 on counterservice, $4 on snack, that means I have used $19 of my meal plan today so that leaves roughly $19 for this meal, so I must tip $4. We always have cash & travelers checks so having some money for the tip isn't such a big deal. Its just the annoyance of DIsney taking this perk away that gets me.

shanny

i dont know if this has been brought up, but in a way it seems they may be trying to do away with the plan at some point. so many people unhappy with changes now, wont be purchasing it, sales will be down, then maybe they could quietly (or not, around here!) be done with it. it seems that would be the lesser of 2 evils than getting rid of it when everyone loves it. im not sure if that made much sense, its late and well past my bedtime! :shrug::snore:

kimmychad

Hello, the bounce back free DDP was offered in Sept. 2007 for Sept. 2008. We were there from the 13-22nd and had to call a special extension and book it from our room during our stay. We never got a notice in our room describing the offer, so we asked at the front desk and they gave us the extension to call. Booked for Sept. 12-21st 2008 with FREE DDP, again-sweet!

And I'll use any font I darn well please,

if you don't like it,

don't read it...

Is that spaced out enough for ya??? :kiss:

MikeB

thats great, thanks. and if you ask a question and dont get an answer, just assume people are ignoring you

JimboJones123

i dont know if this has been brought up, but in a way it seems they may be trying to do away with the plan at some point. so many people unhappy with changes now, wont be purchasing it, sales will be down, then maybe they could quietly (or not, around here!) be done with it. it seems that would be the lesser of 2 evils than getting rid of it when everyone loves it. im not sure if that made much sense, its late and well past my bedtime! :shrug::snore:
It will never go away. The dining program at DL is a money loser and they still sell it.

boldlyreal

For our family of five it works, and saves us money. Even adding 18% gratuity I am ahead around $200. Now that might not seem like a lot to some people but it is to me.
As far as the grumpy's who don't like that the DDP's are clogging up their walk right in sit right down ability, sorry but that's the breaks.
I live in a small mid-western city that has a major university in it. Thursday through Sunday brunch if you don't go early or have a ressie you have to wait. If you are shopping for a seasonal items ie camping equipment, swimwear, hot new electronics, new multimedia releases, Oprah book picks and you don't grab them right away forget about it. I know I have to plan accordingly.
The big issue here really is what I deem a value or a want, someone else may not and vice versa. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it should be taken away from everyone.

abug'saunt

Well, I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread. The family (DH, sis, neice, mom, and myself) is thinking of taking a trip next year and we absolutely loved the dining plan we had for our '05 and '07. We found it perfect for us. We live in Idaho and have to save for at least a year to be able to go. Having meals and tips included made our trips so much more relaxing and stress free. No complaints about the service we received. In fact, I would almost swear we got better service on the plan than we did during our '03 trip where we paid for everything. For us, we liked knowing when and where we were eating. We would sit down for family meetings, checking out EMH, checking out where we could eat on the plan, picking out where each person would like to eat, if we wanted TS for lunch or dinner, did we want to eat TS every night or eat somewhere that takes 2 TS and pay for an extra CS at the end of our trip. We did change a ressie or 2 during our '05 trip that was the 18th thru the 28th of Dec and we made those changes about 24 hours in advance. We did worry we would lose our ressies we did have but it was never a problem and we were treated very nicely.

While I think we'll get the plan if offered next year, I hope that they make at least one change. IMHO, I hope that whoever decides how the plan is set up will change the plan so that people can choose between the appetizer and dessert. In our case, the hubby likes appetizers and I prefer desserts. It would be a win/win with us for disney. As for the tipping, well, if it comes down to it, we could always take my FiL again. It would give us 6 total in our party and we could have yet another funfilled, relaxing trip because the automatic 18% gratuity.:drevil:

Sorry if I rambled, tend to do that.

Lucky

While I think we'll get the plan if offered next year, I hope that they make at least one change. IMHO, I hope that whoever decides how the plan is set up will change the plan so that people can choose between the appetizer and dessert. In our case, the hubby likes appetizers and I prefer desserts. It would be a win/win with us for disney.
I think that's one of those things where you'll just need to ask your server/CM, and more often than not they'll probably accomodate you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom