People Angry Over Disney Dinning Plan

cindy'smom

We had our last trip October 07 when they extended the bounceback promo. Of course then I didn't know they had extended it, but since they had left the flier in our room I called about it and was able to get the basic ddp free or the deluxe dining plan for I think $33 or something to that amount, so since we had never been when they had the specials for ddp, I decided to take the offer. I priced out our package just recently on Disney site and we are saving about a $1000 if we were to buy the package with deluxe so I'm thinking I got a great deal and it's no more than what we have paid our last few trips for the regular dining plan.

Sounds great! Thanks for the reply and enjoy your trip!

tomm4004

... But you still never know when an Everest line that says 35 minutes stand - by lets in WAY TOO MANY FASTPASS guests and the line takes you over 2 hours. So I don't think the fee would ever happen. Especially since you can't gurantee that if you left the resort 40 minutes before your reservation that you would get there in time -- it just wouldn't ever work...

This is how the concept has changed over the years. When EPCOT opened there were two parks and most people stayed off site. People would come to EPCOT for the day. Around dinner time, they would visit the pavilions and when they got hungry decide on a place to eat. Now there are four parks and twenty resorts. People park hop and lounge around the pool, etc. Then they check their watch and say it's time to head to EPCOT for our 6pm ADR at China. Often it's a mad dash.

But that was not the original concept. They were already supposed to be at China, watching the movie, the entertainment and shopping. The whole nature of the resort, its shear size, has changed guests' habits. Now they head off to a park or a resort just to have dinner. It's made it tough on the people who want to actually visit the Chinese pavilion, as an example, to be spontaneous and do things they way the park builders originally intended.

DisneyJoe

I would say that, on average, a call to "cancel" a reservation does take about 10 minutes as well. That's 2-3 minutes at best just to get a rep on the phone. Plus another 3-4 minutes to ask you if your e-mail has changed since it hasn't the past 62 times you've called in the last 7 months since you made the reservation.

I think you are confusing room reservations with 407-WDW-DINE. I've never had to answer all of those questions on the dining line.

tomm4004

... Plus another 3-4 minutes to ask you if your e-mail has changed since it hasn't the past 62 times you've called in the last 7 months since you made the reservation...

Why have you called 62 times in 7 months?

If people are spending this much time on the phone with Disney making plans for their vacation, then they must really need a vacation by the time they are through!

The Mom

Premium Member
Also remember that when Epcot opened there was no internet. (to speak of) The only way the average first time visitor would know what dining options were available was to use the reservation kiosk, or notice the restaurant while touring the park. It was more like the World's Fairs which inspired it. (And yes, I was at the NY one, and saw the original Small World and COP)

Now that you can make one post and let 50,000 people know about a great (or awful) meal you had, more people are making plans before they arrive, including reservations.

DisneyBuffinDE

To tell you the truth the main reason I use the DDP is to carry less money with me in the park. I'm just glad I have paid for most of it before I get there. I am a planner so I don't mind the 180 day call before to make res. So I don't have a problem. As for the app thing they give you to much food anyway for me. Just my thoughts. :shrug:

dpunky

I choose not to use the Dining Plan because I don't want to be limited to certain food choices. I want the ability to choose what I want, when I want. Since I use mostly counter service and I eat more frequently and have smaller portions, its really not worth it for me. I sympathize for the cashiers at the counter service who have to compute on their register what is covered by the DDP at the time of transaction. It always takes them so long to compute. They are SO HAPPY when I give them cash.

Senderella

To tell you the truth the main reason I use the DDP is to carry less money with me in the park. I'm just glad I have paid for most of it before I get there. I am a planner so I don't mind the 180 day call before to make res. So I don't have a problem. As for the app thing they give you to much food anyway for me. Just my thoughts. :shrug:

Same here. I like the fact that you don't have to budget meals or carry around that extra money with you. I'm disappointed that the tip is no longer included and I'm also disappointed the servers had such a hassle with receiving the tips from the DDP. There is such an easy way around that "bonus check" crud and if you've ever worked at a restaurant, you know what I'm talking about. When a guest pays with a credit card and the tip is on there, they get it that night. Servers that cash out at the end of the night do quite a bit of math to figure out what they're supposed to give to the restaurant that night before they clock out.

I'm also one for the appetizer or dessert option. That said, we've booked the DDP for our May trip. We've never felt it was too much food because 1- we hit a lot of buffets so we get what we want 2- we don't feel compelled to eat every bite laid before us. We're on vacation so we sample different things. It's one of the few times I'm adventerous and TRY new things with an honest effort. I'm usually very picky and shy away from things I "might not like". After a few days of burgers/other CS food, we're burned out on it and look forward to our TS meals. If we have any credits at the end of the trip, we use them to get food/snacks for our drive back home. Part of the trip planning fun for us is sitting down in front of the computer looking over Allears's menu page. The DDP in it's previous form was great IMO. Saving money or not is not a factor in our decision. If we save money, great. If not, we would've spent it anyway. That's just my family. We enjoy being spoiled on Disney's food. We've never had a bad meal EVER there nor have we had bad service. In fact, for a few weeks after we return home, nothing sounds good because we've been spoiled.

Dwarful

Why have you called 62 times in 7 months?

If people are spending this much time on the phone with Disney making plans for their vacation, then they must really need a vacation by the time they are through!

I bet Pam can think of at least one group where she came close to 62 times in 7 months (or less) ;)
When going with a larger group you will encounter changes before the trip even arrives. We ended up with 36 in our final group. We had one family drop completely, two fathers, two grandma's and two sisters all change their minds..some at the very last minute. This made for some serious changes...from dining situations to room arrangements. I bet Pam did need a vacation by the time she was done with our group....but we didn't because we let Pam handle all the details. No server ever had issues with all of us being on the dining plan...even at restaurants where we ended up with different servers. At every sit down meal all of the girls in the girl scout troop sat together at one table. If there were any available seats, then adults would sit there as well. When the meals were over, each girl gave her card to the server. I am sure it was a hassle for the servers coming up with 10 tickets and getting them all signed. But no one ever said a word to us. I think the real problems with the dining plan come from the people who don't understand how to use it. Perhaps they booked on thier own and did little research, perhaps they booked with a local travel agent who didn't explain the details? who knows, but I think the CM's from counter service and snack carts to sit down restaurants were all very capable and prepared to deal with the DDP.

RetiredFRN

Ddp

Wow, talk about alot of responses!! I do not use the DDP for a few reasons. One being that it is usually just my daughter and myself going and it is too much food. We don't eat snacks during the day, have a light lunch and then go have a nice dinner. Now that being said, I have looked into the plan and I'm sure it is a great deal for alot of families, but I'm not a fan. I have been going to DW for along time and since the DDP came into effect it is very difficult to get ADR's or just be able to walk up to a restaurant and make reservations. The walk up restaurants are always packed to the point you can't even find a seat. I'm sure this was great for disney but not for us. I also truely believe the service you recieve is different. One year we went to CG and recieved great service!! I told the waiter right away i wasn't on the plan. The next year I forgot to tell him I wasn't on the plan and the food was still great but the service was definitely rushed. (maybe my perception) I then gave him my credit card to pay and he said "Oh your not on the plan, and then mumbled under his breath, I should have asked. I still gave him a good tip!!
Just my opinion, but I would like to see the plan go bye bye. I think alot of us both CM's and customers would be alot happier.

tomm4004

It depends on where you go. If you try signature restaurants that take 2-credits I think it is easier to get in. We haven't had problems really and that's often where we go - Brown Derby, Artist Point, Jiko, Citricos. I think it is mostly for the WS and MK places that ADRs are troublesome. (although in December we booked Chefs de France the morning before for 5:30 for two people and had no trouble.)

When EPCOT opened, there were only a couple fine resort restaurants. Now there are many and this is where you go if you want a really good and relaxing experience. That's why Disney charges two credits. So really they've herded the DDP users into WS, MK and places like Sci-Fi and Whispering Canyon.

culturenthrills

There was a time that the food in most of the disney restaurants was horrible, they made golden corral and olive garden look like a 5 star establishments. So, as they improved the food in the restaurants, they were probably finding people still were not coming and needed to do something about it to change their minds and eat in the parks/resorts. One of the first things I recall was the book a 3 day vacation and get a sit down meal for free in the mid 90's during december.

Where I live any of the chain restaurants you will wait at least an hour during prime time. Even at the Outback/TGIF/Carrabba's you will wait for 15 mins and that is during the week at 9p, so you are lucky to have such a short wait.

The problem is because of the DDP the quality has gone down in the TS restaurants. They have reduced the number of menu items. You have a seafood restaurant(Coral Reef) serving hardly any seafood options. Most of the TS are no longer worth it if you have to pay for it. It is ridiculous that your local Applebee's has more options than many of these restaurants.

tomm4004

There was a time that the food in most of the disney restaurants was horrible, they made golden corral and olive garden look like a 5 star establishments...
When was this? We've been going to WDW since 1986 and the food was good back then. The Papeete Veranda at the Poly (forerunner to Ohana's) was a lovely, relaxing restaurant with fine food and the place at the Disney Inn was renowned. There was also an excellent place in the Disney Village (forget the name) before it became Downtown Disney. And the EPCOT restaurants were also always good. I don't see the food as being any better now, especially in the fast food places.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
We've definately gotten more variety in quick service food in the last several years - just not at the same locations. It used to be you had a decent sized menu and it was available in nearly the same format at several placed, the only major differences being one place was "american" having the burgers as the main food and another being "italian" and having pizza as the main dish, and finally the soup/salad place.

Epcot had Electric Umbrella, Pasta Piazza, and the Land.

MK had Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bill/Tomorrowland Terrace and Pinnochios/Columbia Harbor House and others

MGM even had Commisary/Pizza Planet/Backlot Express

Bugers, Italian, Soup/Salad/Sandwich - that was about it.

Now they've made several places most distinct in their offerings, there is some overlap, but they really dont offer identicle menus anymore.

tomm4004

MK used to have the Adventureland Terrace. The Parrot/Pirate and Tomorrowland Terrace are never open, leaving you basically with Pecos Bill, Columbia, Cosmic and Pinocchio. I suppose the variety is a little better but no more so than any takeout place in the city where you live. Everybody has a chicken Caesar sandwich now. And paninis are everywhere.

Didn't Pizzafari used to have more pizzas? It seems to me they did. Now they are pretty basic.

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
I LOVE the DDP

I just wanted to go on record saying that for my very first trip to WDW in Feb 2007, my friend and I used the DDP and it was GREAT! She ended up getting sick and spending half the trip in our hotel room so we did have things left on the card, but it was unavoidable. It was too much food but we didnt feel bad nto eating everything, because it was already paid for. We always ordered cocktails and got a bottled water to use the beverage up. We always left extra for the tip and we felt the service was amazing! Even though I ordered this :slurp:

I will be going back in February 2009 with the family (party of 7) and we will definately use the DDP. SOOOO much easier to have the DDP than to try and split the bill 7 ways! I think I will have to agree with hte majority and say they should give us an option of either a dessert or an appetizer.

As far as the quality of the food, since it was my first trip to WDW, the only thing I can compare it to is Disneyland. We both felt the quality of the food was fantastic and there was a big enough selection at all the TS. I personally want a restaurant that has a few things on their menu that they do VERY VERY VERY well unlike the Applebee and Olive Garden types that have a huge menu where everything is subpar.

Attachments

• Glo-Tini @ Le Celier @ Canada.jpg
    Glo-Tini @ Le Celier @ Canada.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 50

bugsbunny

The changes to the DDP stink. Plain and simple. Took away the appetizer and the 18% auto gratuity....and the price went down $1.

The math doesn't work. So regardless if you thought the DDP was a bargain or not (because portions too big; don't get snacks; you share a plate; etc), the mathis that WDW took $20 of value off the price, but only passed $1 on to us.

That just doesn't sit right coming from a place where customers are first....most of the time. :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom