People Angry Over Disney Dinning Plan

Laura

I am just hoping this is the beginning of the end. Let's just go back to paying for what food you want, when you want, and where you want it. The end of the DDP might also mean its possible to visit restaurants without making a reservation 180 days in advance. We might also get back to the point where people actually respect the finer restaurants again, instead of using them as a coutner service.

WONDERFUL post.

Going to the sit down meals in Disney before the dining plan was always a special treat. You got excellent service and a wonderful atmosphere and you could do it on a whim. Now the restaurants are all overcrowded, the service is horrible, and the CM's are miserable - no doubt because of the more uncivilized groups that are now able to afford eating in those restaurants and only eat in them to "use up credits". It's also ridiculous to have to start thinking about what food you're going to want to eat on a vacation 6 months away. I cannot wait for the day when the dining plan disappears and the magical dining experiences reappear.

PhilharMagician

You should remove the tip from your cost comparisons. Assuming you won't be stiffing the waiter if you end up paying out-of-pocket for meals, the tip would be paid by your regardless of which route you choose. So while you should factor tips into your overall trip budget, it's easiest to remove it from the equation altogether. (Assuming your restaurant choices are the same whether you're on the DDP or not)

-Rob

He was comparing the new plan to the old plan that included the tip.

PhilharMagician

Pam has been crunching numbers for us. Even with the changes, for us, it will be cheaper to do the dining plan. 7-23 to 08-02 at ASMovies Pref. room with 2 adults, 1 junior (11) and 1 child (7) with 10 day park hopper passes no water park optons w/tax $2515.43 w/o dining. $3755.03 w/dining. So if you take the $3755.03 - $2515.43= $1239.60 for the dining plan for 10 days. so that works out to be roughly $124.00 per day for our family. Now we have several favorites we like to go to. So here is just a one day example: Magic Kingdom: Cosmic Rays:
-Husband= 1/2 chicken/BBQ Ribs $13.49
-me = grilled chicken $ 5.69
11daughter=turkey wrap $7.49
7yr old =kids meal $3.99
3 sodas for adult meals $2.39@ $7.17
choc. cake x 4 $14.36

Dinner at Crystal Palace
3 adults @ $27.99 $83.97
1 child @ $12.99 $12.99

now add the two together $96.96
$52.69
and the snack option $16.00

We used $165.65
we paid $124.00
we saved$ 41.65
we spent$ 20.00 out of pocket on tip
we still saved $21.65
and this is w/o the appt. option and at a buffet.

Now please help, if I have made errors or am wrong in the 2008 options, please let me know. We are trying to finalize everything for our summer trip.

Those numbers look good, but are probably slightly above average. I will look to use the DDE for the next visit. If you put that into effect with your numbers I would save $20.00 off of your dinner and it would put me even with the cost of the DDP in your example. I guess it is a close call depending on where you decide to eat.

Nemo14

WONDERFUL post.

Going to the sit down meals in Disney before the dining plan was always a special treat. You got excellent service and a wonderful atmosphere and you could do it on a whim. Now the restaurants are all overcrowded, the service is horrible, and the CM's are miserable - no doubt because of the more uncivilized groups that are now able to afford eating in those restaurants and only eat in them to "use up credits". It's also ridiculous to have to start thinking about what food you're going to want to eat on a vacation 6 months away. I cannot wait for the day when the dining plan disappears and the magical dining experiences reappear.
Amen!

DougK

I think that if I decide to return to WDW after a miserable dining experience, I will make reservations 180 days in advance in each park each night @ the same times. This way, I can get the spontenaiety back into a WDW vacation like it used to be.

Oh so THIS explains why ADRs are so hard to get.

When I couldn't get an ADR for Chef Mickey's with my wife and son it was because someone had a reservation there even though they ended up eating somewhere else that night. Of course they were so kind as to cancel that afternoon but that didn't do me much good when I was calling two months before that did it?

Shame on anyone who does this!

Perhaps Disney should charge $ 25 to hold a reservation at ALL TS restaurants, like they now do at Cindy's Table and California Grill. I bet the no-show percentage is much lower at those places than at the others.

PLEASE don't make a reservation KNOWING you won't keep it!

Laura

Perhaps Disney should charge $ 25 to hold a reservation at ALL TS restaurants, like they now do at Cindy's Table and California Grill. I bet the no-show percentage is much lower at those places than at the others.

PLEASE don't make a reservation KNOWING you won't keep it!

I am all for credit card reservations for dining. I think it would improve a lot of things. Imagine how many people must make reservations early on and then just decide not to use them because there's no consequence for not showing up.

Even if no deposit was required they should at least take a card number and charge a surcharge if you don't show up.

Dwarful

Well, because we go for roughly 2 weeks we like to do several different sit downs. Mostly we dp dinners because we like to be in the parks at opening when it less crowded and cooler. Some of our sitdowns that we hope to go to will be buffet's (Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's and O'hanas), others will be less expensive but places that the girls love like Sci-Fi. We have in the past had AP's but I don't think we will be able to get 3 trips in this year. We won't stiff waitstaff (maybe tip less if service was horrible) thats why I included the $20 tip on the $96 meal. I appreciate everyone's help in trying to figure out whats best.

DisneyMusician2

I am all for credit card reservations for dining. I think it would improve a lot of things. Imagine how many people must make reservations early on and then just decide not to use them because there's no consequence for not showing up.

Even if no deposit was required they should at least take a card number and charge a surcharge if you don't show up.

I agree. This is absolutely the way to go.

You shouldn't make more than one ADR per night!

Perhaps there needs to be a deterrent, maybe this is one of the reasons no one can get ADR's anymore...

DisneyJoe

I cannot wait for the day when the dining plan disappears and the magical dining experiences reappear.

See my earlier post - a Disney Dining Plan will never go away, there has been a dining plan for at least 10 years, if not more.

If you are going to hope and pray for things, pray for more restaurants on property, or for the pricing on the plan to be adjusted properly so that fewer people use it - or both.

But it will never disappear - it makes too much money for Disney - directly and indirectly.

RiversideBunny

Things people have to think about when using the DDP:

What park will we be in each day.
Do we have park hoppers.
What kind of food do we want.
Where are the table service restaurants.
Do doggy bags count as snacks.
If I get a banana and coffee in the is that two snacks.
What if I add cereal and milk and orange juice, does that make it counter service.
If we change one ADR to a two-credit TS meal, what do we do on the other day.
If the tip is not included should I order an appetizer.
Suppose I don't like any of the deserts.
Can we do two table service meals in one day.
Is it OK to wear flip flops to a two-credit meal
Could we eat at the same restaurant twice in one day
Suppose I have a Fast Pass at the same time as my ADR
If we eat breakfast in the Magic Kingdom, do a TS in EPCOT, and then go to Boma, where do we park the car.
Can I get on an ADR standby waiting list
If an appetizer is under $4 can I use a snack credit for it.
In the candy shoppe there is a discount if you buy 6 pieces of fudge; can I use a snack credit for part of that and pay the difference.
Where can I eat most often to save the most money on the DDP and what should I order.
If my parents and their friends join us one evening can we change our ADR from 4 people to 9.
What is the appetizer at a character buffet.
Our friends are staying at another Disney resort; can we combine dining credits.
What brands of beer are included.
What is the telephone number for Jenny Craig

Remember when you went to WDW, rode the attractions, and just ate when you got hungry?

:animwink::):animwink:

Laura

See my earlier post - a Disney Dining Plan will never go away, there has been a dining plan for at least 10 years, if not more.

If you are going to hope and pray for things, pray for more restaurants on property, or for the pricing on the plan to be adjusted properly so that fewer people use it - or both.

But it will never disappear - it makes too much money for Disney - directly and indirectly.

I should have said "THIS dining plan". The dining plans of the past were much better. If you wanted the convenience of something all-inclusive you shelled out a lot of money for that convenience.

The current dining plan tries to combine savings with convenience, which sounds great, but Disney is not supposed to be a Wal-mart.

marinad

how come?

Everyone is saything that you have to choose between the app or the dessert??? I am doing the deluxe dining... besides the tip -- what has changed? What am I not seeing????

and it states: Table Service Restaurants Full buffet & non-alcoholic beverage
OR
Appetizer, entree, non-alcoholic beverage and dessert (except at breakfast)

Rob562

Everyone is saything that you have to choose between the app or the dessert??? I am doing the deluxe dining... besides the tip -- what has changed? What am I not seeing????

OR

For the new *Deluxe* Dining Plan, there is no change in what you get with a Table Service meal (other than the tip). The *Regular* Dining Plan Table Service meals only get entree, drink and dessert, no appetizer.

-Rob

DisneyJoe

OR

The Deluxe Dining plan INCLUDES appetizer - the Basic Dining Plan does not.

Neither plan includes tip.

Dwarful

whats the price difference between the basic and deluxe dining plan?
I agree that the credit card deposit would be a great thing overall. It really changed the way things work at Cinderella's. I remember the days of trying to appease the 'other website' fans who would call in early every day, make reservations and then 'give them' to those who really deserved them. Now with the credit card deposit and the person whose card is used must be at the meal those who want to eat at Cinderella's are the ones who are getting the reservations.

DisneyMusician2

Just about $30.00 difference between the two if I Am remembering right! Belle

Yup. It's $37/night versus $69.99/night.

I was pondering if adding the appetizer back in but not the gratuitity would make people more amenable to the dining plan again. I can imagine it would satisfy most people and make them feel like they weren't losing quite as much.

Just thought maybe there were a few opinions out there.:wave:

daliseurat

It was fun. Unfortunately, spontaneity goes out the window when you have to pick which Epcot restaurant you're going to eat at 180 days before you leave. I miss those days that an earlier post mentioned, when you could walk into the park, go to that video kiosk and make a reservation for later that afternoon.

YEAH!!! I loved that too. It was so cool.

daliseurat

Except that Applebees' food is pretty good. ;)

Gotta disagree with you there. Applebee's food tastes like micro-waved school food to me. :hurl:

I really look forward to eating at many places at WDW. Especially during FOOD and WINE. Now if Disney could come up with some kind of plan for THAT, that would allow me to save some money on all those kiosks I'd be REALLY happy.

nibblesandbits

I met a family during a recent visit that did something similar to this. They made ADRs for the same day/time at Morocco, France, and Mexico because they didn't know what they'd be in the mood for that night. Shesh! I was annoyed, but then again, it does open up some availability for walk-ups at the losing locations.
Actually, it doesn't allow for walk ups. I originally thought it would too, but on my trip in Sept. I went to cancel an ADR at Tony's, so I canceled it and there was this group of 2 right behind us who wanted a walk up. Well, perfect, right, they could have our ressie. But nope...not how it works. Disney overbooks the restaurants knowing full well there will be cancelations, so these walk ups are still out of luck. It was a big bummer that we couldn't help this family out then. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom